PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet > In Other News

Old 01-28-2015, 02:35 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
REMEMBERING CHALLENGER January 28, 1986

REMEMBERING CHALLENGER
https://us-mg5.mail.yahoo.com/neo/la...igm#1693873346

Challenger STS 51-L Accident
http://history.nasa.gov/sts51l.html
Google Adsense
Old 01-28-2015, 03:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.66 GB
To this day, I can still remember where I was and what I was doing exactly when it happened, One of the saddest days in our history of space exploration..
My utmost respect and admiration for the lost crew...
Jeff
Old 01-28-2015, 03:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.86 MB
:( cant believe that its been almost 30 years , one of the blackest days in U.S. history
Attached Thumbnails
REMEMBERING CHALLENGER January 28, 1986-untitled2.jpg  

Last edited by flightsimmer2012; 01-28-2015 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
I had visited Kennedy Space Center a few days before the launch and saw Challenger on the pad. It was a shock to watch the launch on TV and see it blow up.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
I cant think of anyone who witnessed that launch was'nt in a state of shock when that vehicle blew.Sad and totally avoidable.But I wont get into that.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
I was scrubbing nicotine off of the break room walls at work, prepatory to repainting, when I heard the nursing assistants yelling "The Shuttle just blew up!" I hopped down off my ladder, right into the basin full of wash water I was using. I was annoyed that I had to clean that up before I could go to reception to see the TV, not really believing what I'd heard. I thought the girls were pulling my leg. I really wish they had been...

I haven't worked at that nursing home since 1996, you can't smoke inside there any more, and all the survivng shuttles are long since retired. Only ballistic reentry vehicles remain, with nothing better in sight. Who'd have believed that, either?

Scott K.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 117.66 MB
It was indeed shocking to watch. I was also surprised at how calm and professional the voice on the audio is when says, We have a major malfunction.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott K View Post
I was scrubbing nicotine off of the break room walls at work, prepatory to repainting, when I heard the nursing assistants yelling "The Shuttle just blew up!" I hopped down off my ladder, right into the basin full of wash water I was using. I was annoyed that I had to clean that up before I could go to reception to see the TV, not really believing what I'd heard. I thought the girls were pulling my leg. I really wish they had been...

I haven't worked at that nursing home since 1996, you can't smoke inside there any more, and all the survivng shuttles are long since retired. Only ballistic reentry vehicles remain, with nothing better in sight. Who'd have believed that, either?

Scott K.
Oh, I dunno... if Dreamchaser works, I think it'll be better...

IMHO shuttle was a mistake that basically diverted our space program for the last 40 years from what it could have been. It was a fine idea, but it never had a chance of being what was intended due to the bad compromises made in its design to get it "on the cheap" and with the Air Force's stupid requirements forced on it (none of which were EVER needed or actually used!) When it went from being fully reusable to partially reusable and predicated on false assumptions about how expensive it would be to refurbish and on ridiculously high flight rates that simply weren't sustainable or even NEEDED considering the payload requirements and realistic projections, it turned into a serious mistake.

Challenger was the proof of that, because of the incessant pressure and pushing to make the shuttle into something that it was not and would never be-- the 'cheap, safe, airliner-like' access to space that was promised. The real shame is that shuttle was continued until another tragic disaster finally proved the point that it was a fragile, brittle system that was FAR too limited and expensive for the "benefits" it provided.

There's a reason that "ballistic capsules" have come roaring back... Had shuttle been more like Dreamchaser in its first iteration, it might well have succeeded, and been replaced by a more capable, larger, shuttle-like successor by now. As it was, shuttle was SO expensive and consuming that NASA was never able to afford both continuing to operate it, and develop a replacement for it at the same time... as evidenced by the failed Constellation program.

I agree that shuttle was "successful" after a fact, but more as a 'successful failure' than out of ever achieving its original purpose and goals.

Still, INCREDIBLY sad that fourteen people had to lose their lives in the process and evolution of the shuttle program and how NASA does business...

Later! OL JR
Old 01-29-2015, 02:56 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
I too can remember where I was and what I was doing. I was working for ADT Securities at the time and working on the U.S. Marshall's security system such as it was when I had to go up the 20 floor to use their phone and they had the TV going with the launch just starting so I sat down and watched. It was like my whole world just stopped and just could not understand what I just saw. I went back to work on one of the lower floors and told the crew I was heading up and they didn't believe me. Hell, I didn't believe me. That was a very sad and dark day indeed.
Between the lost of both the Challenger and Columbia I didn’t know if our space program would ever start again. I glad we are about to have our own shuttle service again soon and we can tell the Russians to put it where the sun doesn’t shine. wc
Old 01-29-2015, 05:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
John Kennedy KILLED our space program.....NASA was working on "flying" into space....higher faster...higher faster. Kennedy just wanted to beat the Russians, I loved Apollo but that was a dead end. Then along came this idea for the space shuttle, (the space truck) if built like they first designed it, carried up on the back of a huge carrier (mother) plane. It would have been fantastic. BUT then MONEY got in the way of that and the cheaper idea of solid boosters took hold and brought all the trouble they entail (and danger).
I was working nights back then, and went over to a friends house to cover a Reilly Wooten VooDoo (control line plane) for him. His next door neighbor (who was off work hurt) came over to watch and said the shuttle was about to take off and we went over to his house watch it. Because of Christa Mcauliffe, so many schools had TV's (set up to watch) at a time when a shuttle launch was hardly even covered by the news.
It's also bad for me in that my Mother died two months later (March 11), so I never forget......Rich