PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet > In Other News

Old 01-28-2015, 02:36 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
ATV5: putting the brakes on the ISS

ATV5: putting the brakes on the ISS
ATV5: putting the brakes on the ISS | Georges Lemaître
ATV-5 to decrease – a little – the ISS altitude, by around 1 km.
Google Adsense
Old 02-06-2015, 10:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Hadn't heard about that. Interesting article. Thanks. Too many interests, too little time.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:21 AM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
I listen in on there comms most days and it seems like they are always adjusting the orbit of the ISS in one way or another. Listening in on the ammonia leak they had and everyone had to move into the Russian area for a day or so was interesting. wc
Old 02-08-2015, 07:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.41 MB
That's a pretty nice CGI rendition of this event and the station itself....Thanks Wad cutter.
Mike
Old 02-09-2015, 03:46 PM
Eternal Member

I just hope I'm not boring you guys with news about NASA and etc. I know this is a Paper Modeling Forum and this is a little off subject but we do make paper models of space ship and other related item about space. So if I'm off base with this subject info please let me know. It's become a second hobby with me. wc
Google Adsense
Old 02-09-2015, 06:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Did they sort out the leak?
Last thing I heard is the crew were locked in the Russian module because of a chlorine leak in the European module?

And apparently the Afghani module was set to self destruct?
Old 02-12-2015, 05:56 PM
Eternal Member

100% correct Dave. All 6 of them, 4 men and 2 women all locked in the Russian section. IIt was a few days later I heard them out side and talking to Houston and the next thing I see crew members floating by. Turns out the bottom line here is maybe it was a PC mis-hap. It took a couple of weeks and still there not as correct you Dave. If anything else pops up would you mind adding to it? Thank you. wc

PS-I did add something to the Space X Falcon 9 launch and why it didn't do it's soft controlled landing on there bridge. See's were to high so they did a soft water landing with no chance of recovering the 1st stage due to sea conditions. wc
Old 02-12-2015, 06:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Ammonia leak...not chlorine, duh

Seems the News report I heard (at the time) made it sound a lot more horrific than it really was!
This is why I avoid all News programs and wait until I see it on Top Gear (or Blue Peter).

quote from some online newspaper:
As alarms blared, the astronauts followed emergency procedures in slapping on oxygen masks,
taking cover in the Russian quarters, then sealing the hatches between the U.S. and Russian sides.
At the same time, flight controllers at NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston turned off non-essential equipment.

Within minutes, Mission Control gave an all-clear, but sent the astronauts scurrying back over to the Russian side again
when there was more evidence of a possible leak of the coolant.

The highly toxic liquid ammonia, flowing outside the space station, is used to cool electronics.
Flight controllers originally feared it had gotten into the water system running inside.
Now, it's believed that a failed card in a computer-relay box was the culprit.