PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet > In Other News

Old 11-28-2016, 05:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Prey Pal have numerous security breeches, I got caught in one too and their attitude is "Tough, you were not the only one". I would not get caught dead using Prey Pal again, despite their heavy advertising and bullying tactics.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1158 View Post
Prey Pal have numerous security breeches, I got caught in one too and their attitude is "Tough, you were not the only one". I would not get caught dead using Prey Pal again, despite their heavy advertising and bullying tactics.
I linked my Pay Pal to a credit card with a low credit limit, and also use this card for overseas transactions. Problem is keeping the bank from raising the spending limit in hopes that I will get in big time debt to them.
I also do not use a debit card in spite of a lot of heavy sales pressure from bank and stores to do so (the bank employees seem to all be working from the same script), and I still use a lot of checks. I do not want to give anyone direct access to my savings and there are still more legal protections in place when payment was made by a check sent through the mail than for e-payments.
It is scary out there.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:02 AM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
The problem I had with PayPal was my wife used it to buy pet supplies. Who ever the person was at the pet supply company use our credit card numbers and bought him self something on our card. The whole thing was a mess and took a long time to clean it up. That's the only problem I have ever had with PayPal. wc
Old 11-28-2016, 04:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Umm? How did the pet supply guy get hold of your card number? PayPal won't give it out. That's the whole point of the PP system. Paypal pay the dealer, and you pay paypal. That way the dealer doesn't get to see your card numbers. Used properly all they get is a delivery address, and Paypal shouldn't pay them until you notify receipt of goods. That last bit doesn't work on EBay though, 'cos EBay owns PayPal.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 167.48 MB
Long ago, I set up a separate bank account with no overdraft facility, and that's the one that is linked to my PayPal account. I never have more than a few pounds in it, so if anything bad happened I wouldn't lose much. In fact, we use that account to pay for anything online (Amazon etc), and just transfer whatever is needed to it as and when required. I think this is sensible. That way, our main current account's details are never accessible to anyone.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 917.06 MB
I've received numerous bogus emails claiming to be from PayPal.
These have never used my username in the salutation, as they should have.
They also warn of dire financial consequences if I don't reply to them using the provided link.
Confirmation of the attempted confidence trick is the abysmal standard of English. I forward these pieces of crap to thePayPal to deal with, then I delete them. is what they make me!
Old 12-07-2016, 10:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 969.48 MB
I have used PayPal for quite some time and, so far, have had no problems. I keep a small PayPal account on line and replenish funds in it through the use of a PayPal My Cash card. I get the My Cash card refilled using cash at a store that sells the My Cash card. Thus there are no connections to any of my credit cards or my bank account. The store does charge me a fee of a little over $3 for the card processing, but I consider that an insurance payment for protecting my other accounts.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahoody View Post
I've received numerous bogus emails claiming to be from PayPal.
I used to get "phishing" like this a lot, especially "from PayPal", but my updated antivirus - AVG - seems to be able to screen them. The "PayPal" ones usually said something like "Your account is temporarily suspended", and asked me to click on a link to re-activate it. I also used to get emails supposedly from HMRC (UK Income Tax) saying that I'm owed a tax rebate - just visit this website and fill in this form with all your details so that we can refund you £300 ! ! ! As if! (They don't email - they send proper letters) But you can imagine some gullible people might be taken in by this.
The rule is - if you don't actually know the sender of an email. completely ignore it, don't even open it - just bin it immediately. Hmmm - a bit like what I do with normal mail, actually!
Old 12-08-2016, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wagenseil View Post
.....I still use a lot of checks. I do not want to give anyone direct access to my savings and there are still more legal protections in place when payment was made by a check....
Wow, John! I don't know when I last used a cheque (check) ! I don't think our UK banks even issue cheque books anymore, unless maybe you specifically ask for one..! I'll ask next time I'm in the bank. I can't recall anyone accepting a cheque in payment either - I think stores wouldn't even know what to do with them!

This is not to say that I think that cheques aren't a good idea - like you I think they're safer in a lot of ways. After all, you can always stop a cheque if you change your mind quickly enough.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
I'm with John in that I still do most things with checks and occasionally Post Office Money Orders; or one that seems to almost confuse some people anymore: cash. I do have a couple of credit cards since anymore you can even do a lot of things such as rent a car. Not even sure you can get an airline ticket anymore except on a card.
Google Adsense