PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet > In Other News

Old 11-16-2017, 09:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 178.84 MB
My new toy! 3d pen for UK residents

Hello every one. Lidl chain store in the UK are offering in their seasonal products range a 3d pen for £19-99p (beginning today, while stocks last). Even though I do not know if it will be of use to us paper modellers I decided to give one a go for 20 squid (as I love getting new toys anyway). Might be the “very thing”!

Cheers
John
Attached Thumbnails
My new toy! 3d pen for UK residents-f8934666-5af3-436c-87c1-1af0a6dc4348.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 11-16-2017, 09:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
I've been looking at these on-line for a while now. I can see the usefulness to plastic modelers or those with a 3D printer, but I'm not sure if it would be much use to a paper modeler, or even just as a stand alone toy.

Does it use special-to-it filaments, or will you have to buy large reels like the 3D printers use? Please give us a report on your findings after you've played with it a bit. I'm sure there will be more than a few ex-plastic readers interested, and don't we all secretly harbor the desire for a cheap 3D printer?
Old 11-16-2017, 01:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.74 GB
Looks a bit like mine and about the same price.....
Ideal for whip antenna or railings etc, hope you've got a steady hand and a lot of patience
Old 11-16-2017, 10:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
I got my son a 3Doodler 3D pen last Christmas. He uses it off and on, but I stole it for a short while to try with paper modeling. I used it to do a quick fill for box style wheels. I attached the tread ring and one side together. Then, I used the pen to flow plastic into the wheel and fill up the empty space, making the wheel both solid and weighted enough to keep the plane down on all wheels.

As far as using other filaments, the 3Doodler does have proprietary ABS and PLA sticks. We got the full on high end one (I pushed for it so I could use it too ) that has dual heat settings to be able to use both types of filament. While I had access to a 3D printer at my old school, I took a strand of PLA and tried it in the pen. It worked, but was difficult to get going as the functionality was dependent on the filament being straight so that it could be pulled in moved steadily by the worm drive gear.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:24 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
I could see it being used to do frame work like on the H-13 Sioux or Focke-Achgelis Fa 223.............

My Drawings
Google Adsense