PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet > In Other News

Old 01-01-2018, 12:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
For Real Star Wars Fans Only

In case you haven't seen it yet, you can have a 1/1 scale model of the original movie prop for only 25 easy payments of $64.99.

https://www.model-space.com/us/build...um-falcon.html

Curt
Google Adsense
Old 01-01-2018, 01:10 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
Way out of my price range. wc
Old 01-01-2018, 01:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
$1800

and its only 31" long.

For that much money, I want one big enough to climb inside!

And, I want it to be the Enterprise.

From Star Trek.

because Star Wars sucks.

There, I said it. Deal with it.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
*prepares to watch Star Wars / Star Trek flame war begin*
Old 01-01-2018, 03:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Too rich for my blood.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Those DeAgostini kits are somehow a matter of love or hate.

I don't particularly love them.

They're nice at first look. But when you spend some time watching them carefully, details start to appear.

In my case, when I knew they were releasing the Jaguar E-Type (XKE) I was excited. But after seeing the test shots and the official build threads I found it leaves something to be desired. A better and much cheaper option is the Revell 1:8 plastic model. At least Revell's windows scroll down and up. And even if you buy aftermarket parts for the Revell, it would still be cheaper and better.

Their Douglas DC-3 is also nice at first sight, with the removable roof to see the interior, and the amount of detail.... but there are some really ugly details and badly shaped parts.

The matter with this "part-works" kits (as they're known in the UK) is that they have to provide as much accuracy as possible, while keeping the kit buildable by most of the general public (not necessarily modelers). But most of the times accuracy is sacrificed in favor of ease of build.

Of course, if you wish something to show in your living room for others to admire, they're really impressive. And if you don't mind some mistakes here and there, that's fine.

They're more collector items than models to please a modeller. I somehow doubt serious modellers would be 100% happy with them (unless they use their modelling skills to correct them).

And this Millennium Falcon...

A few months ago I found this guy's blog: DeAgostini Part Work 'Build The Millennium Falcon' Work In Progress Log Page 21
Go to the bottom of the page to read his report, or browse through the previous 20 pages of re-build blog.

He spent so much time and materials modifying it to get it closer to the original prop, that I wonder if it is really worth the time and money.

Of course that man is a serious Star Wars fan, and a rivet counter. He seems to know all the details of all the available Falcon kits out there and how they compare to the movie prop... So he wasn't satisfied with the provided kit.

As for me, I'm still waiting to improve my skills to properly build the Revell Jaguar E-Type. There's more joy in building, painting, and modifying a kit, even if it's plastic, than just screwing pre-painted parts to one another.

Old 01-01-2018, 05:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
For $1800...buy yourself:
- 60" flatscreen
- Surround sound system
- DVD player
- Popcorn Maker
- Case of Beer
- and the original Star Wars DVD

and you'll still have enough left over to buy that big plastic kit of the Millenium Falcon.

Play with it while you watch the movie over and over...
pretend you are Han Solo, piloting the thing!

Then go buy the Trek original series DVD set and watch those.

Then throw away the Star Wars DVD...sell the Millenium Falcon model,
upgrade to BlueRay, and buy the full set of Star Trek movies.

You'll still have enough for a Star Trek Tee shirt from amazon.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.47 MB
and what's this bs about monthly payments? if i had $1800 to spend on my hobby i would rather buy a mini milling machine
Old 01-02-2018, 12:09 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
Maybe I'm just being a cheap bastard but that it is just totally off the chards for a single model. Thank you but no. I'll bet there are a lot of people who have bought it. I like Dave's idea about a pep corn machine. I have a good one but can always use another. wc
Old 01-02-2018, 01:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubenandres77 View Post
He spent so much time and materials modifying it to get it closer to the original prop, that I wonder if it is really worth the time and money.
THIS!

I stated that exact same thing when the Falcon was introduced for the first time. Why spending so much money on the "best" replica of the studio model if you still have to add so many parts that have been omitted during pre-production. The bad thing is that the Falcon is a model that is documented very thoroughly. There are millions of pics on the web, in magazines and books showcasing the model. It is hard NOT to spot differences when you compare the DeAgo and the original. The same is true of the Star Destroyer and the Battlestar Galactica models. People (and fans) know how they look because they have seen them a thousand times on the big screen or somewhere else, and it is hard to fool them by offering them a not quite finished product (it is a product aimed at the fans, so... ).

They say the kit is based on a 3D scan of the Falcon model. It is said that this model was sent to a scanning facility and arrived in a terrible state. It was broken into several pieces. Some people put them together but obviously they forgot to add certain greeblies which thus were not available in the first edition. Instead of pointing out that there are many deviations from the original they kept calm and hoped nobody would notice. On the contrary. It was the combined effort of fellow fan modellers all over the world who made DeAgo revisit certain components and offer the missing parts later-on. If it had been true to the original, as it was claimed in the ads, things would have been much different. I don't want to diminish their effort, you probably won't be able to get such a huge beast except you go on a massive scratch-building party. It is impressive but it still needs a lot of work.

I have noticed a similar issue in the ads for their R2-D2. They claim it is 1/2 scale, meaning it is half as tall as the real one. Well. The real one is 109 cm tall. 1/2 scale would be 54.5 cm. However, the DeAgo model is 48 cm tall which is only 1.5" taller than the Hasbro Interactive R2 from 2002 which has almost the same features and is available at a fraction of the price. Even if you consider the height deviation from two-legged to three-legged drive mode it is definitely NOT 1/2 scale and still NO-ONE seems to be bothered by these discrepancies, even after I have pointed them out.

Last edited by Revell-Fan; 01-02-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Google Adsense