PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 06-19-2011, 04:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
3d photos of cardmodels

I've been interested in 3D photography since I was shown my first 3D image by my grand-dad back in the mid '50's. 1950's, not 1850's;-) I dip in and out of the subject on a regular basis.... I've always wanted to try to photograph some of my card models as stereo view and have recently been doing just that.

I wouldn't bore you with the details on how it's done, because for the most part it is not too exciting.

I'm posting 5 CROSS views and one anaglyph (red/blue) image of two of my recent builds..

3d photos of cardmodels-ana-red-left-blue-rt-1200.jpg Click to enlarge
3d photos of cardmodels-s-38-fm-1-3d-1200.jpg Click to enlarge
3d photos of cardmodels-s-38-fm-5-3d-1200.jpg Click to enlarge
3d photos of cardmodels-s-38-fm-10-3d-1200.jpg Click to enlarge
3d photos of cardmodels-s-39-fm-2-3d-1200.jpg Click to enlarge
3d photos of cardmodels-s-39-fm-5-3d-1200.jpg Click to enlarge

If your familiar with 3D photography and would like to try viewing these images please let me know how they look to you?

I know this is GEEKY, but that's only because I'm GEEKY!!

Swampfox
Google Adsense
Old 06-19-2011, 04:21 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Well, I know if I cross my eyes, and look at the middle image, that is an awesome effect!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 06-19-2011, 05:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Wow, Thanks for that heads up Ray. I got a great 3D image by crossing my eyes on 4 of the last five photos!

SF, how do you take the CROSS photos? BTW, are you or anyone else getting into HDR?

Curt
Old 06-19-2011, 05:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Those are nice looking.
A while back I found a few websites that show how to make them.

Using Paint Shop Pro 5 and one photo:
Marly Cain's Amazing Micronautic Adventures&reg

Using Paint Shop Pro 7 and two photos:
3-D Anaglyphs

Using Photo Shop and two photos (a JPL/NASA site with Mars photos)
Mars Exploration Rover Mission: Features
Old 06-19-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashevilleangler View Post
Wow, Thanks for that heads up Ray. I got a great 3D image by crossing my eyes on 4 of the last five photos!

SF, how do you take the CROSS photos? BTW, are you or anyone else getting into HDR?

Curt
Thanks for letting me know that you guys are seeing the 3d effect. It means I'm doing something right. I've had some problems in the past with viewers other than myself not seeing the 3D.

The CROSS effect is created by taking two photos, side by side about 3-6 inches apart. Then using a photo editing program to size and position them for viewing.

The other method is PARALLEL and it's a bunch harder for most people to see the 3D with.

There are even 3D cameras that do the same thing more automatically and maybe, just maybe, I might be buying one soon. Just depends on how much the price drops......

I might post some more of my other models if members show an interest and I find the time.

Thanks,
SFX
Google Adsense
Old 06-19-2011, 10:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
Great pictures, Swampfox. No red/green goggles here, but the effect with the other pictures is terrific. You're correct about specialty 3D cameras -- two lenses about 3 inches apart that each exposed a separate frame of the film. Some were even more specialized, taking small positives for Vu-Masters -- and there were double projectors for giving 3D slide shows. But this was back in the day of film photography. I haven't yet seen any digital 3D cameras, but it would not surprise me if they already exist.

With all this manual labor, I may not make it out of retirement alive.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 58.50 MB
How do you cross your eyes? Where is the middle picture? Does this make me deficient, defective or normal?
Old 06-19-2011, 11:40 PM

Location: Central Wisconsin - literally in the middle of the state.
Total Downloaded: 18.40 MB
Interesting concept - regretfully it doesn't work with Astigmatism. 3D tech is making great advances lately. With regards to motion pictures, our local theater is spending the money on putting a new format 3D set-up in. The tech must be bringing in enough cash to justify that. Sorry your experiment didn't work with my eyes...

Also - reference the first photo - isn't that how everyone saw things in the late '60s? I seem to remember that.....

And - might I ask whose kits the flying boats are? I love flying boats :-)
Old 06-19-2011, 11:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 40.66 MB
Not very easy to see the 3D effect at the first time, but it works !! Great !

I think I will try the cross effect with one of my model...
Old 06-20-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
Great pictures, Swampfox. No red/green goggles here, but the effect with the other pictures is terrific. You're correct about specialty 3D cameras -- two lenses about 3 inches apart that each exposed a separate frame of the film. Some were even more specialized, taking small positives for Vu-Masters -- and there were double projectors for giving 3D slide shows. But this was back in the day of film photography. I haven't yet seen any digital 3D cameras, but it would not surprise me if they already exist.
Yale, I a familiar with the Vu-Master cameras. I have a broken one that I'd like to get fixed........HOWEVER, I have no need to now. Fuji corp.. has released a duel lens digital camera that I have my eyes on...could be a great advance in 3D photography or another failed attempt at 3D imaging. I'll let you know if I decide to buy one.

If you'd like to look into this camera further it's called the FUJI W3-3D digital camera.

Check it out and see the latest in 3D photography.

SFX
Google Adsense