PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 11-21-2010, 08:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
and afterwards, you can go into the trophy Award business!

yours is much better
Old 11-21-2010, 01:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
anyone ever done the papier mache balloon?

you blow up a balloon.
cover it with paper strips and glue (papier mache)
when its dry, pop or deflate the balloon.
...and you've got a hollow paper balloon!

I wonder if you could do this with a sculpture?

Coat the 3D form with something that stops the paper glue from sticking.

Coat the object with papier mache.

Once its dry, slice it up into sections* and peel them off.
*Sections that can be laid out flat.
Could be big sections or very tiny sections, but basically you are unfolding the skin of the object.

Keep track of all the connections and cuts
and then add glue tabs to reassemble the parts into a hollow object.

??
Old 11-21-2010, 02:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Airdave,

I do remember those paper mache balloon projects! I am not sure that the process would work here though because there are too many undercuts (like under the umbilicals. Interesting thought though!

Today, I cleaned up the model and got it ready to scan. I did develop a crack though, at the right wrist. I patched it, so hopefully it will work.

Here are the pictures of the model at each 45 degree view.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Paper Model Design - a different approach...-apollo4-003.jpg   Paper Model Design - a different approach...-apollo4-004.jpg   Paper Model Design - a different approach...-apollo4-005.jpg   Paper Model Design - a different approach...-apollo4-006.jpg   Paper Model Design - a different approach...-apollo4-007.jpg  

Paper Model Design - a different approach...-apollo4-008.jpg   Paper Model Design - a different approach...-apollo4-009.jpg   Paper Model Design - a different approach...-apollo4-010.jpg  
Old 11-21-2010, 05:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 60.55 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlwest View Post
Airdave,

I do remember those paper mache balloon projects! I am not sure that the process would work here though because there are too many undercuts (like under the umbilicals. Interesting thought though!

Today, I cleaned up the model and got it ready to scan. I did develop a crack though, at the right wrist. I patched it, so hopefully it will work.

Here are the pictures of the model at each 45 degree view.

Ken
Im keen to see the results of the 3d scan, as I think it might be way to high poly to convert to a papermodel. If nothing else, that is a beautlful sculpture, and with a little paint it will look great on a shelf or whatever. very impressive.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 747.08 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modeller View Post
And make paper model, after 3d scanner is absurd.
I being someone that probably has Asperger's, I'm somewhat familiar with saying things that had no offense intended, and I have the feeling that's the situation here.
Having stated that, I have to ask, what difference does it make of the design technique? I don't see this as very different as making a wholly computer 3D object and unfolding it. I'm pretty sure there isn't a 'correct' way to design or make a paper model as the many talented individuals on this site have demonstrated with their various methods.

Isaac Asimov
Google Adsense
Old 11-21-2010, 11:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 52.28 MB
Very nice.....
Old 11-22-2010, 05:27 AM

I woke up this morning and "CRAP"; the sculpture is cracking! But, I will wait until it is completely dry, and I will repair it as best I can.

I found 3 sources in the Detroit area that can scan the Astronaut. From what I have been able to see on the Internet, the cost is somewhere around $150. I may be able to talk them down...??

Anyway, I have read the previous postings - wow - I didn't want to create a controversy. Let me try and clarify what I am trying to do and maybe that will clarify things. Modeller is correct about the complexity and impossibility of trying to unfold a scan "directly". But that is not what I am doing. I created the model in hands-on 3d so that I can visualize shapes and proportions. This is something that I find to be very difficult on a computer screen. The purpose of the scan is so that I can transcribe the shapes and proportions into the computer. Once there, I will be designing the paper model over the top of the scan, using the tried and true methods for shaping and folding paper models. I believe this technique will render a very realistically looking model. We'll see.

Even in the automotive world, we still use full size clay models. Why? Because the designers see "things" that they don't see on a computer screen. They initially design on the computer, but they ALWAYS, as a matter of routine, sculpt out a full scale clay model.

We have another saying in the Automotive World: "If you never think outside of the box, don't expect to take the results to the next level".

Once I get the model scanned, I'll move this thread over to the "Space" forum.

Ken
Old 11-22-2010, 06:38 AM

Please do not insult each other...

Old 11-22-2010, 06:41 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Back on topic now - take it offline if you wish to continue this discussion. it has nothing to do with Ken's foray into new territory at this point.

Ken - are you in the automotive industry? Got a pal that can hook ya up with a freebie scan? I know my dad used to work in a metal fabrication shop and man the stuff those guys could make for us when we needed something odd
Old 11-22-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlwest View Post
I woke up this morning and "CRAP"; the sculpture is cracking! But, I will wait until it is completely dry, and I will repair it as best I can.
Ken
I don't know if this will apply to your materials, but if you have a water-based clay, it might help to drape a damp towel over the thing so that too much moisture doesn't come out of it as it dries. I remember from high school art class that clay models dry from the outside in, and have to be kept in a humid environment to let the whole thing dry evenly. Uneven drying is what causes cracks. The "skin" of the model dries faster and contracts, while the inside dries slower. Mrs. Bennett would be proud that I remembered that.

If you've got an oil-based modeling clay, I have no idea what to do to stop it from cracking.

So, are there going to be Mercury, Gemini, and STS-Pumpkin astronauts coming in the future? :D Heh...
Google Adsense