PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 08-18-2011, 02:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Stuffed Bears and Other Animals

I'm really stepping out on this one. Yes, I'm a 53 year old man but just like to make things.
Another hobby near to my heart is making stuffed bears (not real ones, of course!)
I started about 14 years ago with a little kit then moved on to my own patterns.

The first bear is approx 30". He has fixed head with jointed arms and legs. He's made of curly distressed German mohair with glass eyes. His name is Edward.

The second photo shoes Bernadette the rabbit. She's made of sparse, distressed German mohair that was dyed to simulate aging (doesn't show in the photo). She also has glass eyes and stands 28" eartips to paws. She is fully jointed.

The bear with the box and little basket is made from thick craft felt with a nice nap to it. I made this for my wife (then girlfriend). In the little basket I placed her engagement ring and then proposed to her.

The last two photos show primitive circus bear toys. The white one on the ball is 4" and the one with the drum is 6" sitting. They're made (again) with sparse German mohair, They are fully jointed. This is a collection I'm working on building. The gold one is stuffed with wood wool, Very hard on the hands, much more than fiber-fill,

All are hand sewn. I have a nice sewing machine but have never learned to use it efficiently. I like the hand sewing anyways. Much more personal.
Attached Thumbnails
Stuffed Bears and Other Animals-edward1.jpg   Stuffed Bears and Other Animals-rabitt.jpg   Stuffed Bears and Other Animals-ring-bear.jpg   Stuffed Bears and Other Animals-cubby.jpg   Stuffed Bears and Other Animals-chester.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 08-18-2011, 07:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.86 MB
Wow,

I have met several people who make bears and dolls. Both are very time consuming
like our paper-models. Home made bears are better than store bought ones because
something gets lost in the mass production. (Guess it is the love put into them from
their maker.)
Old 08-18-2011, 11:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Nice - that Edward 1 is fantastic.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 82.92 MB
That is really cool. You make em nice and big. I like that too. What kind of machine do you use. The same as what guys use for leather?
Old 08-19-2011, 07:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 82.92 MB
A lot of work for hand sewing I'd say.
Google Adsense
Old 08-19-2011, 07:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Friesen View Post
That is really cool. You make em nice and big. I like that too. What kind of machine do you use. The same as what guys use for leather?
Thanks, guys. They're a lot of fun to make and very relaxing.

I have a heavy-duty Janome sewing machine, but I still sew by hand.