PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 08-21-2011, 08:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
I'm learning metal embossing

I haven't devoted much time to paper modeling later because I started studying a new handicraft technique.

After one month of learning and practice, this is my very first work with metal embossing.

It's a small box of about 19X21 cms (7X8 in).

All surfaces of the wood box were laminated with tin sheets. The lid of the box was embossed from behind with several stylus, and perfected from the front with other tools.

The texture was made by hand using a very fine stylus, and the flowers were filled from behind to prevent their collapse.

The raised circles have a height of about 1mm to 1.5mm. The interior was lined with red velvet paper.

I made some mistakes in the process, but I learned a lot. I believe it came out pretty nice to be the very first thing I make using this technique.
Attached Thumbnails
I'm learning metal embossing-emboss01_01.jpg   I'm learning metal embossing-emboss01_02.jpg   I'm learning metal embossing-emboss01_03.jpg   I'm learning metal embossing-emboss01_04.jpg   I'm learning metal embossing-emboss01_05.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 08-21-2011, 09:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Wow that looks fantastic first try or not. I can see some modeling uses in there, gets me to thinking!....Rich
Old 08-21-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richkat View Post
Wow that looks fantastic first try or not. I can see some modeling uses in there, gets me to thinking!....Rich
Thanks for your words

Metal embossing is an easy to learn activity. You need the correct tools, lots of patience and a lot of practice too. But the possibilities are endless. And it surely can complement our paper modeling hobby (or, in fact, any kind of modeling).

Old 08-21-2011, 09:51 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
gorgeous! how much you selling them for?
Old 08-21-2011, 10:57 AM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Aesthetically Pleasing Work

Hi Ruben,

You show an aptitude for the aesthetically pleasing. Very nice piece.

Best, +gil
Google Adsense
Old 08-21-2011, 01:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Very pretty work....but we may have discovered the rascal behind the crop circles.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:25 AM

Thanks a lot for your words.

For the time being I have not thought on selling (I just made the one you see).
But I hope to learn more and improve. Selling is a possibility, but not right now (I wish to perfect the technique before offering a product to the public).

This is a photo of a second box I'm working in:
I'm learning metal embossing-emboss01_06.jpg

It's a bit more difficult because it has rounded corners and borders and the idea is to leave the tin untouched on the sides (no texture). In fact, the texture of the previous box was made to hide some errors when gluing the metal to the wood.

The learning curve is easy to follow.

For example, check this failed first practice:
I'm learning metal embossing-emboss01_07.jpg

Circles were uneven in height and width.

And I tore the metal in several parts with disastrous results:
I'm learning metal embossing-emboss01_08.jpg

But my second practice sheet turned to be a lot better, and became the lid of the first box.

I believe that for a modelist, this activity will be interesting too.
I'm learning metal embossing-emboss01_09.jpg
With a bit of patience and planning (and a proper stylus) the parallel corrugations can easily simulate the skin of a Ford Tri-motor or a JU-52

Old 08-22-2011, 09:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 820.35 MB
Good work!, in my country is called REPUJADO, my wife is a professional in this art.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 559.22 MB
Repujado en aluminio

Hola Ruben, soy Meteor (Miguel Diaz) desde Cuenca Ecuador, hojeando las secciones de este interesante foro, encuentro con satisfaccion que tu has iniciado en el arte del repujado en metal, el cual es tambien otra de mis aficiones, y me gustaria mucho intercambiar conversacion sobre este tema, si es de tu parecer, me agradaria contar con tu e-mail como medio alternativo para comunicarnos, Por cierto he revisado con frecuencia las novedades sobre tu Trimotor con los colores de SCADTA realmente esta fantastico, felcitaciones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubenandres77 View Post
I haven't devoted much time to paper modeling later because I started studying a new handicraft technique.

After one month of learning and practice, this is my very first work with metal embossing.

It's a small box of about 19X21 cms (7X8 in).

All surfaces of the wood box were laminated with tin sheets. The lid of the box was embossed from behind with several stylus, and perfected from the front with other tools.

The texture was made by hand using a very fine stylus, and the flowers were filled from behind to prevent their collapse.

The raised circles have a height of about 1mm to 1.5mm. The interior was lined with red velvet paper.

I made some mistakes in the process, but I learned a lot. I believe it came out pretty nice to be the very first thing I make using this technique.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
Hola Ruben, soy Meteor (Miguel Diaz) desde Cuenca Ecuador, hojeando las secciones de este interesante foro, encuentro con satisfaccion que tu has iniciado en el arte del repujado en metal, el cual es tambien otra de mis aficiones, y me gustaria mucho intercambiar conversacion sobre este tema, si es de tu parecer, me agradaria contar con tu e-mail como medio alternativo para comunicarnos, Por cierto he revisado con frecuencia las novedades sobre tu Trimotor con los colores de SCADTA realmente esta fantastico, felcitaciones
Hola Meteor! Gracias por tus palabras. Te envio un PM con mi e-mail

Google Adsense