PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 03-08-2012, 07:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Don't want to get too far off the topic of G1's splendid Moonbat, but Duster's posting brought back lots of great memories. I've been a member of the FAC for decades and still get the newsletter (and that of the DC Maxecuters) and treasure the summer days at Geneseo. About ten years ago, my teaching schedule changed and I can no longer attend the FAC-NATs and non-NATs, so the video of Vance Gilbert launching his beautiful Betty (and the other FAC videos at that site) was wonderful. Sadly, Dave Rees also passed away recently. There is nothing like watching a multiengined stick and tissue model sailing through the air with the sun shinng through the tissue.

Don
Old 03-08-2012, 08:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I love I would love plans for it too,.. how much?,.. its such an obscure plane,.. nice lego emperial cruiser,.. and petra on youtube?.. makes the building go smoother!!
Old 03-08-2012, 08:52 AM

It's a beauty! I want one too, if you don't mind... but I doubt I'll be able to build it anytime soon - need to get better at this thing called building first.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Getter, your Moonbat looks like great fun. I was researching the beastie for a vacuform model I have and was able to locate a fair amount of images from the Web. Main sticking point is just exactly how the radiators (wings) and intakes (nacelles) are shaped. They are not symmetrical and hence tough to 'map' out accurately. I found an excellent reference in "U.S. Experimental & Prototype Aircraft Projects: Fighters 1939-1945" [Amazon.com: U.S. Experimental & Prototype Aircraft Projects: Fighters 1939-1945 (Specialty Press) (9781580071093): William Norton: Books] which helped a lot in understanding the design features used. Of course, this is all pretty moot now I suppose... sorry!
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale
Old 03-10-2012, 02:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.67 MB
Sorry no pix this time, still haven't got new batteries for the camera and my rechargable ones are toast :(

I'll mkae the plans avaliable for free here if the admins dont' mind them being int he download gallery?

I buttoned up a removable system for the main Landing gear but still need to work a system for the gear doors. That's a minor problem though. My thoughts so far were to make the doors open and shut for flight after the gear was unplugged. That way they would cover up the pulg in openings. Of course the gear could be glued in pernament and the plug in box ommited if desired. I spent way too much time pondering what to do with the gear and now they're done :D

TIme to start covering with tissue...............or so I thought:P Rbeach84 had to go and mention those dreaded intakes. I was just gonna fake em, but now I'm obcessing about em :P Shouldn't be too hard but would require me to cut into some already done areas on the forward lower sides of the engines. I'ld like to get em designed in but hate to go and re-work those areas this far in. grrrrrrrrrrrr

HCMS, I have an almost unhealthy addiction to Lego Star Wars :P You-Tube is quite addictive as well

Another thing is I may have to make my own props since I can't find a pusher prop to match any regluar props avaliable. I don't want to mix brands just to have opposing rotation. Well I need a new experience and this model is forcing many new ones on me so why not another :P

G1
Google Adsense
Old 03-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsonduster View Post
Ah, that jogged the memory! That was Dennis Norman, and I was there............................................. ..........................................
..........I'm not in those guys' class, I made singles. Anybody interested, here're the plans I and a couple friends did, as the "DeathTrap Squadron." --I'm the Michael in the bunch. My drawing & flying buddy Rocky Russo died this winter, and that's a lot of why I don't wanna do the stuff now <snif!>

'Duster
You really have to design the fuselages to take the compression and twisting load, use a lubricant, real rubber strips, too get those awe inspiring over the barn, maybe lose the plain flights. I have made twin engine rubber band models, but I ran the rubber power assembly down the fuselage, used a geared assembly to bring the shaft back and connected it with VCR rubber belts I used to always have hanging around, (this was back when people used these machines that had things called cassettes, etc.) to the propeller shafts in the nacelles. These were generic planes I made myself. The best planes were the simplest. They flew farther, higher, and longer, when they had virtually no fuselage, and long, narrow, glider like lightweight wings.

I had a friend of over 24 years that died a couple of years ago, we used to have a blast, having a friendly competition building these things.

I always wanted to try the really slow acetate flyers, you know, that ones that makes you wonder what is holding them up. Up to 36 minute flights.

I can relate to that Duster.

Getter, everything you make looks so good!!

Old 03-10-2012, 03:11 PM

Here's a simple procedure for making your props up by forming blades over a can form. A handy variation is to cut the blades out of a suitably-sized yogurt or cottage cheese container--a bit massier but the blades don't break so easy!

The illustration shows blades slanted so as to mae right-hand props; for left-hand, you just tilt the other way.

This scan, from Bill McCombs' great overview of rubber scale models, was sized for a stingy server--it may not be real readable in its present form. Contact me via [email protected] if you need better files.

'Duster
Old 03-10-2012, 03:55 PM

We really opened up the potential for short motors when--oh no, who? either Tom Nallen I or Dave Stott, I think--cured the motor's tendency to bunch and tangle when he slipped a free-rotating tube over the rear rubber post, so the motor could slide more easily over itself and relieve uneven tensions as it unwound. So, we could start packing 30"-long motors into the 9" length you see below (Clive Gamble's wondrous Welkin, 2008, ~38" wingspan). It also did miracles for short-nosed planes like WWI fighters: you could stuff the motor all up front and not have to worry about heavy tails any more.

This pic points up Zathros' comments about structure--Clive put the balsa only where needed: the two nacelles are cheeked with sheet for shear and compression against the wound motors, and then they're hung on a boxed web spar that mostly ties them to the rest of the lightweight plane. The fuselage is little more than something to keep the tailfeathers in place!

Best application of stick and tissue construction: balsa sticks in compression mode, held together by tissue in tension and shear mode.

Here's (hopefully) my last "awesome flight" hijack, Peter Smart's Beriev in Civvy livery. I was drawing this plane in its original subchaser role when this popped up--Pete managed to steal my thunder on a couple of occasions, and I applauded each time!

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ8i2eeNgNw]Pete Smart's flying scale Beriev Be 12 - YouTube

'Duster
Old 03-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Banned

Wow! Were the rubbers bands on that Beriev all rolled up into the nacelles? That is an excellent flight, beautiful plane. Really great to watch! It's really cool to see a working plane being made.

Kudos to you Getter for your tissue and unrealized paper, model!
Old 03-12-2012, 01:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.67 MB
Nice flight there :D That Mosquito is great to. Those body formers are practicaly not there! Probably 1/2 the weight of my bird here.

Well after much conviencing myself to cut apart done sections I came up with proper intakes. Ont he plans I think I will include the intake parts as optional as some may want to build it as I originaly had it. The intakes will create some drag but I couldn't shake the thought of doing them (believe me I tried :P ).

With the development done the other side will go fairly quick. I did manage to pull a few quick pix before the dead batteries quit again. Can't get more till Tuesday :( Pix pretty much suck as I was in a terrible hurry with dead batteries :P Will re-shoot em later on.

G1
Attached Thumbnails
Stick and Tissue XP-67 Moonbat-03120094.jpg   Stick and Tissue XP-67 Moonbat-03120095.jpg   Stick and Tissue XP-67 Moonbat-03120096.jpg   Stick and Tissue XP-67 Moonbat-03120097.jpg  
Google Adsense