PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 03-16-2012, 10:42 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Gett, that frame is incredible! Kudos to you on it. I have a couple of these planes around. I might build one. I prefer Mono-Kote over paper, it really strengthens up the plane in tension.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:06 PM

have you ever seen Mike's flying scale model pages?
home page:
Mike's flying scale model pages

here are some free jet plans

here is a tutorial on the F-84
Old 03-17-2012, 01:10 PM

here is a link on molding your own canopies,..
Old 03-17-2012, 04:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.67 MB
Darwin, I'll have to look for that book :D I'm quite impressed with Earl's plans. I will have to give his Wildcat a shot for sure :D Always loved the Wildcat and there's several plans out there but his looks like a winner.

Zathros, If I had electric or gas engines in it monokote migth be easier than tissue :P Currently tissuing it up and I've come to the conclusion I must hate myself :P I consider myself fairly decent at tissuing but this one is pushing me to the limit!

HMCS, Indeed I have seen that site. I found it while searching for Sparrowhawk plans. His Sparrowhawk is fantastic. May never build it now though as I got the Dumas kit. I want to give some of his jets a try some day. He's got an F-105 in there :D

Hope to get enough skin on her to show pix later on.

G1
Old 03-17-2012, 04:57 PM

Getter, if you're interested in Wildcats, remind me via PM and I'll get you Doug Wilkey's great "Fishkitty" plan--that's the experimental WC with floats. It's a much lighter airframe and a proven flyer--and you can just leave the floats off.

And for further inspiration during your build, you can read Barrett Tillman's Clash Of The Carriers, his great account of the Marianas Turkey Shoot, with Wildcats galore.

And--Dumas kits are still Market Oriented. Ebay that heavy 'Hawk and build Mike's!

(Jeez, I keep pushin' this guy towards Proper Thinking and it's hard! Guess I'm just not Republican enough...)

'Dust
Google Adsense
Old 03-17-2012, 10:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.67 MB
Ooooo that book's on sale :D Uhhh now to pry money from the wife's fingers..........if you don't hear back from me by..................... :P

I sure wanna see that Wildcat plan That Sparrowhawk will most likely be a display model so the Dumas one may stay, though Mike's is mighty tempting being one of my favorite planes of all time.

Slow prog. on tissuing. I can't do my normal fast method here. I normally get a piece going on top, bottom, left and right as I go to keep moving. On this one I'm almost having to do 1 piece at a time, shrinking as I go with each piece also. That way if it snags or wrinkles too bad I strip it right then and there. A lot of nips to comform to the curves as well.

Both wings and stabs are covered now. Most of the hard areas on the fues. bottom are now done, should pick up for the rest of the bottom. Top will be harder than the bottom was :P

I'm using a cotton swab to wet the tissue of each piece on the Fues. for precise shrinking. Note the wing and stabs are kept upside down to dry when shrinking each side of the tissue. They have a fairly hard curve towards the rear and I find a harder curve thends to have snags in the tissue as it shrinks. It's pretty much imposible to re-wet and release those snags so you'll be stripping it off and re-trying. Leaving them upside down lets it sag and it pulls itself back up as it dries and shrinks making the snag far less likely. Snags could still happen so I monitor the shrinking and gently nudge if needed to keep it from grabbing.

G1
Attached Thumbnails
Stick and Tissue XP-67 Moonbat-03170101.jpg   Stick and Tissue XP-67 Moonbat-03170102.jpg   Stick and Tissue XP-67 Moonbat-03170103.jpg   Stick and Tissue XP-67 Moonbat-03170104.jpg   Stick and Tissue XP-67 Moonbat-03170105.jpg  

Old 03-18-2012, 12:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.45 GB
Send a message via Yahoo to Sidewinder81777
Looking great John!
Old 03-18-2012, 07:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 113.24 MB
Forgive me for being late (again) someone mentioned Comet earlier in the thread and wondered what became of them. Comet was bought out by Guillow's in the late '90's and they seem to have no interest in re-releasing any of the Comet kits. The good news is many of the kits have been re-created by Penn Valley Hobby Center.
Penn Valley Hobby Center
And, as mentioned earlier, many of the plans have found their way to Outerzone.
Outerzone : Free plans : Listing of free vintage model aircraft plans to download
Wayne
Old 03-18-2012, 12:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Covering looks good so far.

Don
Old 03-18-2012, 12:47 PM

HERE is a direct link to Outerzone's cache of Comet plans. When you're on the site, there's a "search" box in the upper-left corner that gets you this kind of listing for what you type in. (Hey, it even worked for my name! Oooo I'm officially Cool.)

'Duster
Google Adsense