PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 03-18-2012, 01:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Don't know if it will ever actually get built, but last summer ordered Loening floatplane plans from these guys Flying Models Magazine - Control Line, Free-Flight, and Radio Control Model Airplane News and Features! with this being the plans page Carstens Publications - Flying Models - Flying Plans Directory
Old 03-18-2012, 10:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.67 MB
Wag, I read that on Guillow's web site in their history section. Damn shame to buy up the designs and then bury em :( In fact there's a whole bunch of their own designs that seem to be no more. Why would they do that??? Their catalog hasn't changed much at all since the 80's when I got into balsa planes.

Well been slavin away on skin today. Made a lot of progress on the underside. It's still painfully slow but much better since I passed the intakes row :P I'm able to use much larger and longer sections at a time here. I may be done tonight with the underside but not counting my chickens.

In between sections drying I've been getting some other models in prog. worked on. I had to sand the wings on the Brisfit and re-tissue a few wing sections on the Buffalo. The Buffalo's Landing gear was way too heavy so I had to cut em off and damaged tissue in the process. The Buff is a suprisingly heavy build and doesn't want to trim for anything. The Brisfit however on my test tosses flew great :D It only stopped when it ran into something. A few small details and it ready. Wonder if I should bother with painting it. If I do it will be airbrushed to keep it light as possible. Duster's changing my way of thinking...............ACK!!! I'm being re-programed!!!

Hmmm I need to get more colored tissue. It's working well on the Moonbat.

Ugg looking at the pix my room is in desperate need of de-cluttering.

G1
Attached Thumbnails
Stick and Tissue XP-67 Moonbat-03180106.jpg   Stick and Tissue XP-67 Moonbat-03180107.jpg   Stick and Tissue XP-67 Moonbat-03180108.jpg  
Old 03-19-2012, 01:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter 1 View Post
Well been slavin away on skin today. Made a lot of progress on the underside. It's still painfully slow but much better since I passed the intakes row :P I'm able to use much larger and longer sections at a time here. I may be done tonight with the underside but not counting my chickens.
Looks good. Man, it's been years since that's been done around here.

And, thanks to y'all who mentioned sources for Comet plans and models.

Learned about Bristol Fighter F.2 almost by accident decades ago while interested in WW I planes and then parents got me for my birthday Avalon Hill's board game "Richtofen's War". Something about the plane struck a chord with me and I set out to lean more about it. Seems that at first Brisfit was flown rather timidly but then someone somewhere learned it could be thrown around the sky with most of the rest of the fighters. Forget their names but a couple of Canadians earned ace in it. Also read somewhere that more than once it happened that a German who thought he was pouncing on a S.E. 5 got an unpleasant surprise.
Also read that with fuselage being mounted between wings the pilot had great upward vision, and ... it was possible on occasion to fire ring gun forward over wing.
One final thing, it was said to be heavy on the ailerons and, quote, "you could tell a Brisfit man by his bulging biceps".
Old 03-20-2012, 09:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
wow,.. I love how smooth the covering is turning out!
Old 03-20-2012, 11:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Really nice skinning! I usually overlap a bit.
Google Adsense
Old 03-20-2012, 07:53 PM

Thanks guys :D No prog. yesterday as it was cage cleaning night :P Mad Monday at work to :P

I overlap each section of tissue across the formers and bulkheads. I try to avoid the overlap going past that point.

SWF, I have Richtofen's War. Fun game but have you tried Wings of War? I can't wait to get back into building the 1/144 minis, eye's getting better all the time.

Hope to have more to show tonight on the Bat.

G1
Old 03-22-2012, 01:53 AM

Hello All,

Yay! Finally got the last piece ont he bottom of the Bat on :P Took me long enough working on it just a little each night. Don't like how it darkened on some seams but the pic makes it look worse than it does in person :P Just have to trim that last part and it's on the top side in green.

Get to go see the eye Doc. tomorrow for a final follow up from my surgery. Hope to get a clean bill of health. Wish me luck.

G1
Attached Thumbnails
Stick and Tissue XP-67 Moonbat-03220109.jpg  
Old 03-22-2012, 07:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Good Luck!

This build is coming along very nicely... hope you are cleared at the doc's tomorrow!!
Old 03-22-2012, 08:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Very smooth covering. That image (and the rest of your build) and HudsonDuster's posting of a peanut-scale plane for the Spitfire F.R. 47 really make me want to dust off the stick-and-tissue tools and materials.

Don
Old 03-31-2012, 11:10 AM

Sorry for a lack of updates. Been working on Janx's Supermarine Scimitar. Hope to get back to tissuing the Bat this weekend.

G1
Google Adsense