PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 03-12-2012, 01:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.67 MB
Parts from Will's paper Moonbat helped greatly in those intakes BTW. Not an exact translation but they got me most of the way there. You could almost use his model to skin it. I say almost because the formers aren't exactaly in the same places but really close.

G1
Old 03-12-2012, 05:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
A very impressive model! I look forward to seeing this one come together.

Jeff
Old 03-12-2012, 12:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Gulp!

G1, I'm so sorry to have triggered your AMS over those intakes! I was mostly noting just how hard they are to get a handle on because all the research available (to me, at least) leaves many questions about their exact confirguration. You are brave, sir!

As is often said, when discussing why we include hidden detailing not visible on the completed model - "God knows its there!".

In this case, we *all* know it is there!
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale
Old 03-12-2012, 05:56 PM

No biggie. When I saw some footage of the real plane I saw those intakes and growled knowing full well I would end up doing them :P

The plan I was working by had no clear indications how they were done. Will's model did all the hard work I just had to adapt some of the patterns to make the needed parts. Only thing that held me up was cutting into those already done areas :P I'll have both configurations on the plans as options for scale apperance.

G1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeach84 View Post
G1, I'm so sorry to have triggered your AMS over those intakes! I was mostly noting just how hard they are to get a handle on because all the research available (to me, at least) leaves many questions about their exact confirguration. You are brave, sir!

As is often said, when discussing why we include hidden detailing not visible on the completed model - "God knows its there!".

In this case, we *all* know it is there!
Old 03-15-2012, 07:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I used to build those rubber flying models, or try to at least! Always had trouble with the tisse covering! I think gillows is still around, wonder if the Comet kits are still available?
Google Adsense
Old 03-15-2012, 08:13 PM

A great many of the Comet plans are widely shared. I prob'ly have what you're interested in, if you're interested!

Guillows is indeed still selling kits, mostly the same heavy and hard-to-fly engineering they always had (to be fair, Guilllows' philosophy has always been to sell kits, not flying models, and sell mostly to wives of old guys who'd waxed nostalgic about building planes in their youth--it was well-known that most "gifts" sold in this way would never be flown or even completed, so the intent was to make for an easy build).

There're better ways. Actually, Comet is one of those better ways, if you understand where Comet sacrificed scale...there're lots of informed choices to make here, and that's presuming we're, like, informed. Always risky.

"Dust
Old 03-16-2012, 08:01 PM

Plans out the yin-yang :P

Outerzone : Open listing of free vintage model aircraft plans, download links

Funny you should mention Guillow's heavies there Duster. I found I emulated much of their style here (as I built mostly their kits in the past :P ). As I final out the plans I will be adding much more lightening holes and such. I may even eliminate one former in the rear (pointed to by my sharpie).

I punched out holes with a hole punch everywhere I could fit it in to save a little weight. Also I will be using colored tissue to save as much as I can from paint. The proto will be a bit heavier than I wanted but too late to do anymore than I already have.

Got the intakes all done and she's ready for skins. Sorry been so late on the update but work has me wiped out most the time, then there's chores and pets to care for.

G1
Attached Thumbnails
Stick and Tissue XP-67 Moonbat-03160098.jpg   Stick and Tissue XP-67 Moonbat-03160099.jpg   Stick and Tissue XP-67 Moonbat-03160100.jpg  
Old 03-16-2012, 09:28 PM

Yah, the Guillows lineage showed right away. Flyers tend to "see" things like that. My squadron partner liked to say, "Plans are how modelers TALK to each other"--and it's true. We look over plans and see how this structure or that stress area is addressed, how somebody deals with the needs of flight over the strictures of scale--

--And flyers know when something's worth paying attention to; like, f'rinstance, you.

This subject is less aircraft than topological anomaly! and you've tackled those shapes with aplomb. Yes it's heavy and yes you'll be hard put to get more than ballistic behavior and now isn't the time for second thoughts on that, there's something far more important here: you have just blown right past some 95% of flyers just by tackling the project from scratch, and you are taking your hobby to a different level; and I applaud!

What's gonna be fun is to see what you take forward from this one. Hope I'm around to watch.

'Duster
Old 03-16-2012, 09:49 PM

Thanks for the kind words Duster. Most of the kits I found back when I began balsa were Guillow's. Only have a few Comet kits then. Therefore Guillow's engineering influenced me heavily. After studying a lot of the plans from the site I linked to above I've seen many errors in my current way of thinking and that is changing. thanks for the advice and I'm sure I'll need much more before the end of it all :D

A couple more designs I want to tackle are,

Etrich Taube
Fiat Cr.42
I-153

They're all designs I wish to see more of, but like the bat seem to be rare. Now they may have to wait till I hit the Cleveland B-10 and Skyrocket 1st :P Ever seen those plans? They're amazing :D

G1
Old 03-16-2012, 10:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Getter, check this site out....especially the Earl Stahl plans. They are far superior to Guillows for free flight. Guillows kits are ok for conversion to U-control if one takes the time to fill in the gaps between the stringers with balsa. And, if you can come up with the asking price, see if you can find a copy of Peanut Power by Hannan....I've seen a few copies on Amazon, mostly around $25 or so. Not bad when you realize it includes the plans for a dozen well-proven freeflight peanuts. The Plan Page