PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 10-29-2008, 07:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Short Article on the Iwon Landing

I've been somewhat disconnected from the Forum lately due to pressures of work, but hope to resume a higher level of participation once teaching gets on even keel and the current writing projects are wrapped up.

The amphib book ("Over the Beach: Army Amphibious Operations in the Korean War") should be out soon. I think the next issue of "Parameters" (the Army War College quarterly journal) will have one of my book reviews. Meanwhile, a short piece I wrote for the on-line feature "This Week in Army History" is up this week on the anniversary of the Iwon landing in North Korea. It is at:

www.army.mil/-news/2008/10/26/13133-carrying-the-war-into-enemy-country/

Don
Google Adsense
Old 10-29-2008, 07:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Great article Don. Very short though. Reminds me of the stuff they made us write on my CWO/CPO course. In 500 words describe the benefits of Canada's military contribution to the United Nations Interim Administration in Kosovo.

Makes me want to read more.

~ Cheers
Old 10-29-2008, 07:58 PM

Thanks, Douglas. The word limit for the "This Week in Army History" feature is, indeed, 500 words. I cover the Iwon landing in more detail in my forthcoming book, which will be available free on the Internet as well as an actual book (not free, but probably not too expensive, as it is being published by the U.S. Army Combat Studies Institute).

Several Forum members have connections of various kinds with my book, by the way. Padre, for example, arranged for me to get permission from the USS LSM/LSM(R) Association to use one of their photos of his ship, USS White River (LSM(R) 536), in my appendix that describes and illustrates the amphibious ships, craft, and vehicles used during the Korean War.

Don
Old 10-29-2008, 08:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Interesting article, Don. Much too short, of course. But I understand the limitations of the medium. I too want to read more and I look forward to the Amphib book.
Hope things even up enough to let you get a little modeling in soon!
Chris
Old 10-29-2008, 08:12 PM

Thanks, Chris. Me too! I enjoy my work, but I am beginning to get paper model building withdrawal symptoms!

Don
Google Adsense
Old 10-30-2008, 12:44 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
Great article, Don. You'll have to let us know the PDF version URL when it comes available.

During my newspaper editor days, I had a column each issue written by a field officer titled "This Week in Air Force History." It had a word limit of 750 words, which was passed on to each author. For one particular issue, I asked an O-6 to provide me something and he agreed to write an article.

At the last moment almost, 30 minutes before deadline, he showed up with his article. It was about 5,000 words and written like a lawyer hung over his shoulder every minute making suggestions.

Lucky for me, I had the Group Commander behind me when after the paper hit the streets, he came to my office to complain about my "hatchet job." 8v)
Old 10-30-2008, 08:28 PM

Thanks, Ash. I'll post the URL for the PDF version of my book in the Forum as soon as it's available.

After decades of writing talking papers, Pentagon point papers, book reviews, encyclopedia articles, and other materials with precise word limits, I'm reasonably good at hitting the mark. I've also done a bit of editing and I do sympathize with your aggravating O-6 story! That must have been quite a short-suspense chop job to carve a decent 750-word story out of 20 pages of verbiage.

Don
Old 10-30-2008, 09:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 41.26 MB
A fine article. Well written and very informative.

If an article of history makes me want to learn more about the events described, I deem it successful.

I plan to consult this Library of Babylon that we call the Internet so as to learn more about the Korean War which has somehow been neglected in my studies. I eagerly await the release of your book.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:50 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Finally got a chance to read this - nice article