PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 10-30-2008, 09:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I like to cook

Since that otheer thread made everyone so hungry I thought I'd post my Chili Verde recipe.
Chili Verde

1 lb ground pork loin
1 Tbs olive oil
1 large Poblano pepper, diced
2 Anaheim peppers; roasted, peeled, & diced
approx. ¼ medium Jalapeno pepper, minced
1 small onion, diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
3 cups water
1 – 28 oz can Hominy
¼ tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
about 1 doz tomatillos, husks removed and diced (the tomatillos, not the husks. You throw the husks away).
about 3 Tbs corn meal

Before you start, be sure to roast the Anaheim peppers on a grill or over an open flame (such as a burner on a gas range). This is to remove the skin which has the consistency of parchment and is rather unpleasant to eat. (If you desire the extra fiber, hemp rope is actually more digestible, or you may try the tomatillo husks.). Peel the skin under running water and dice the peppers (including the seeds).

Brown the pork in the oil. Add garlic, salt, black pepper, and onion. Add the water. Stir in the peppers and tomatillos. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 45 minutes. (tomatillos should be soft). Stir in hominy, including the liquid. Bring back to boil. Stir in corn meal and continue to boil about 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
Should serve about 4 as a main dish.

You can, of course use more (or less) jalepeno as you wish. This recipe was for a Cub Scout Campout, so it's a little toned down. Heck, if you really want a full charge, try it with habanero instead. I take no responsibility for the consequences, however.

Currently working on: ISS
Google Adsense
Old 10-31-2008, 04:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This thread has potential! I wonder how many paper modelers also apply their skills to the kitchen?

Maybe next year we can have a combination paper models convention and covered dish dinner.

Is there a "Paper Modelers' Cookbook" on the horizon?

Don
Old 10-31-2008, 06:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
I used to be a cook at a popular national BBQ chain. I did my best to write down as many recipies as possible. At the very least, I know how to do the ribs :D
Old 10-31-2008, 07:15 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
I love to cook, but I admit I don't have any of my own recipes. I either modify existing ones - or most of my best dishes are when I just start mixing different seasonings / sauces together for a sauce or whatnot. One of my latest favorites is doing fried rice. I have done chicken and ham (I love those little packages of pre-chopped ham chunks) - and I usually just go nuts with garlic, onions, soy sauce and various flavored oriental sauces and flavor to taste.
I've also discovered how tasty doing pork with just liberal amounts of fresh-ground black paper and brown sugar is. Especially baked country-style boneless pork ribs. You can sauce them if you like - but it's not even necessary
Old 10-31-2008, 11:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to APA-168 Send a message via Yahoo to APA-168 Send a message via Skype™ to APA-168
I love cooking, but I have yet to come up with my own recipes. I usually do what 'feels right' so I do end up with heavily modified versions of what ever recipe I'm using. Works sometimes, sometimes it doesn't. IMO, that's half the fun.

[email protected]
Google Adsense
Old 10-31-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosed View Post
This thread has potential! I wonder how many paper modelers also apply their skills to the kitchen?

Maybe next year we can have a combination paper models convention and covered dish dinner.

Is there a "Paper Modelers' Cookbook" on the horizon?

Don
Hi Don,
I like both of those ideas. I have a few more recipies of my own that can go into a cookbook. I'd perhaps like to put a cookbook together and charge a nominal fee that would be donated to charity such as a food bank.
As far as the convention/pot luck, when & where? I'd do my best to make it if I had enough time to plan and talk my wife into it. The convention in the recent post with about 2 weeks notice was impossible. I'd also like to meet with all of you guys who make my best modeling efforts look like the wadded up tissue I have to pull out of my dog's mouth after she'd been rummaging around in a wastebasket.
Two suggestions for locations that immediately come to mind are Disney World in Orlando Florida (I wouldn't have to do much convincinng for this one), or The National Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB, OH. I think some of my old IPMS cohorts are still around there and might possibly help set something up.

Currently working on: ISS
Old 11-02-2008, 05:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Cooking and modeling, two of my favorite things. That sounds like some good Chili Verde. Around here the Food City stores roast chiles on Fri and Sat, to save you that hassel. A national event because of my job is pretty tought. I have to put in my bid for next year's vacation in 2 weeks. I do like the Wright-Patterson AFB suggestion, haven't been there in years. Did finally get down to Pima Air Museum in Tucson last weekend. Man it's grown plus they were having a Model A Ford club meeting also, 2 for the price of 1.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 35.0 KB
Rice cooker recepies

I have found a very simple and effective way of cooking if you like rice.

Just dump a can of chicken (or beef or tuna or some kind of meat) into the rice with all the water along with some spices of your choice. Then when the rice is done add some more stuff. Usually a can or 2 of condensed soup of your choice with some grated cheese (added after cooking the rice) is very tasty.

My latest concoction was a can of chicken with real bacon pieces and a packet of powdered alfredo sauce mix with some butter. It was a little dry I should have added some milk but i was wary of the possibility of it boiling over.

My models available for sale @ Gremir and Ecardmodels
Old 11-02-2008, 10:36 PM

OK, if we're sharing recipes.

For each serving:
1 skinless boneless chicken breast
3-4 stalks asparagus (smaller stems are better)
2-3 slices Prosciutto sliced as thin as humanly possible
2-3 slices of provolone or asiago or one of each

For all servings (adjust quantities to suit)

Well beaten egg +1tbsp(per egg) of milk
Panko or bread crumbs
oregano, basil, powdered garlic, salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350F (180C)
Take each chicken breast and make a horizontal slice almost all the way across. Flip over and repeat. Unfold and you should have a chicken fillet three times and wide and one third as thick as you started with. Place between sheets of waxed paper and roll or pound flatter. Pat dry with paper towels.

Lay sliced cheese (reserving one slice) and Prosciutto across chicken. Add asparagus and roll up. Tie with kitchen twine (leave long ends - makes life easier)

Dip and roll chicken rolls in egg mixture, then roll in panko seasoned to taste. Roll again in egg mixture and place on parchment on baking sheet (parchment isn't 100% necessary, but makes clean up easier)

Bake for approx 25-30 minutes until chicken is cooked and breadcrumbs begin to brown. Cover with reserved slice of cheese and turn off heat. Remove from oven once cheese has melted and allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.

Best served with Hollandaise sauce and a simple rice or couscous side.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Shrike, that sounds yummy! and reasonable simple and quick. Hard combo to beat.
Google Adsense