PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 07-16-2012, 12:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 79.93 MB
proper Printer Driver

Hello CMag,

as i already mentioned there are some problems with certain hardware devices as printers or scanners.
I suppose you have asked in the ubuntuforum. (Ubuntu Forums)

Here is a site for printer drivers, i myself use one of them for desktop
(ZEDOnet | TurboPrint Linux | Printer driver for Linux), and i am quite happy with it.
It is one of the few linux programs that cost (29 € or 37 $) but you can try them for 30 Days, before you have to buy it. You can do the purchasing online.

Just think about it.

Many Greeting from Germany

The Oldenburger
Old 07-16-2012, 01:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wagenseil View Post
Oh, BTW,can you get a scanner to run on linux. I was able to get a printer to work,but never could get it to recognize a scanner.
Try vuescan. It's free to try, and works with a large number of scanners. You can also use it on up to four computers with any combination of operating systems, with a single license.

This software was a lifesaver, allowing me to use an old Minolta DiMage slide scanner with my Mac (Mac drivers weren't available). Somehow, I acquired a second DiMage, that using vuescan, works perfectly under Linux.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi other John, Oldenburger, CMags, and Sgoti!

I tested Wary and Slacko Puppy, but couldn't connect to the internet with them (I wasn't really trying either, fully intending to go back to Windows). But to get something up and running quickly to retrieve files, they're perfect. However I barely used them so I can't comment much more than that.

I do want to see if I can get Wine working, there are some Windows programs I'd like to run in Linux as well. No going back on this machine, so I'll see what I can do! Also, I'm out of state right now but I can try my scanner and printer when I get back in a couple of weeks; I'll keep you posted on all that

The Software Center is something I really like in Linux. Plus it was easy to install the entire operating system. I guess I never really considered Linux before now because all I knew about it was the computer gurus in high school used it; I assumed it must be something tricky if they liked it. I like to think I'm good with computers but I'm no expert by any means. I was completely surprised at how easy it is to start using. The learning curve was not as steep for me as it was for Mac (perhaps because I'm using KDE?). But when I tried the Ubuntu "virtual tour" on their website, it was more like a Mac but still not hard to figure out; I'm not sure if it's because I know Macs now or if it really is easier...

I've been showing Kubuntu to my friends at work, some of them are pretty interested in it now. I'm trying to get them to "come over to the dark side"! Of course Linux is like anything else and not for everyone, but I'm actually happy that my computer crashed or I would have probably never started using it

The Linux community does seem cool just from what I've seen reading through other forums. I've solved several bugs on this computer just looking through some of their threads. The terminal especially seems like magic to me! Yes, there are bugs, but I enjoy solving problems and they really haven't been that hard to figure out. There's been enough with Windows that's for sure... A bug is better than a virus IMO

Thank you all for the helpful comments and links! The people here are great too, with regards to any topic :D
Old 07-16-2012, 08:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.19 MB
I'm dual booting to Win7 and LinuxMint.
I use Mint for most everything and Win7 for games.

RE: Wine
Not all programs run smoothly on Wine. Pepakura is one of them.
In cases like these, I resort to using Virtualbox.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 528.35 MB
I've been dual boot for years. ubuntu and windows xp. there are a few programs I have that I just have to run on windoze, that I haven't found any better and won't run under wine. I'm still using the 1999 version of paint shop pro, as nothing beats it. pepakura, my thumbnail generator; I have a collection of software that are just my stable set I work with all the time, and I'm not giving them up. I'm not holding onto them for posterity or anything, I simply have not found any better.
Google Adsense
Old 07-18-2012, 07:45 AM

Dual Boot

Hello Jleslie,

I also do use the Dual Boot option, running Linux and Windows XP, though I use windows just only for playing games (Silent Hunter 2 and 3 and Hearts of Iron) when i can afford the time.
Because it's quite tricky to get these games running in Linux.

Many greetings from the other side of the big water

The Oldenbuger
Old 07-18-2012, 12:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.08 GB
I'll just put my 6 pennyworth in. I've tried a number of different distro's and it is unfair to compare them with Windows as my Linux have all had to struggle with old machines. I haven't had the courage to dual boot on the newest.

I do like the ability to return to a restore point with Windows 7 and have used it a couple of times.

I would really like to turn completely to Linux but have experienced a few problems and not been as lucky as some on here finding answers.

Because I'm using old hardware my latest trial has been with Lubuntu and it is working well. Ubuntu gave be a few problems. Certainly the 11 10 and 12 04 whereas I can run Lubuntu 12 04

I'd be interested in other peoples comments on Antivirus software, and help forums.

All in all I will persevere with Linux and am interested to read more in this thread
Old 07-18-2012, 02:35 PM

Hello folks,

well this thread is developing great, being a good teaser for Linux.
Coming to your Question Doug, i 'm not absolutely clear what you mean, when you say you`re using old hardware. My desktop is now approximately eight years old, and Lucid Lynx is running fine. As i already mentioned not every Hardware will run at once, and sometimes it takes a little time and help from others. We're having a good Forum here in germany, the Ubuntuusers.de, but it is in german language. But i know there are ubuntu and Linux forums all over the net, look for one which is agreeable for you, register and post your question and your problems, I'm absolutely sure they will give you an answer quite quickly.
Good Luck to you

The Oldenburger
Old 07-18-2012, 03:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I use Arch Linux for my penguin fix.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:14 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Well I thought I give Kubuntu a try and downloaded and installed it on a USB flash drive that I'm running on now................

I like the browser interface seem to be way faster than IE.............

I'm going to install a space HD in this laptop and see how it does............

john

My Drawings
Google Adsense