PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 07-15-2012, 02:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Switching to Linux

Hi all,

Something that I thought was going to be a big problem actually turned out for the better, to my surprise!

Long story short: I was trying to update the Windows XP on my new-to-me computer, it froze in the middle of the update so I cut the power (I know, bad idea, but it would have sat there forever!) and of course then it would not boot up, even in safe mode... I didn't even have it for 24 hours and I broke it! :O

While waiting for Mom to send my Windows XP recovery disc, I was looking around for something that would let me get the few files I had on the hard drive off. I stumbled upon Puppy Linux, which allows you to boot from a flash drive and can completely run the operating system from RAM without touching your hard drive (called "live booting"). Worked like a charm! I got my files no problem.

Come to find out the windows XP disc could not repair the operating system on the hard drive and can't do a full install, so rather than buy a new CD for an operating system that won't be supported at all in a few years, I opted to stay with Linux (I'm not a big Vista or 7 fan).

Okay, maybe that story wasn't so short but I'm super excited playing around with this! I've tested live boots of 5 different Linux operating systems before deciding on the one that I liked best. Software to replace the usual Windows programs is available, like Inkscape, Firefox, and many others. I guess this is a good chance for me to drop my obsolete software from the early 2000s and learn things like Gimp or a new 3D modelling program. Anyway, here is a screenshot of the Linux that's running on my system now:

Computer: HP 6910p laptop

Most everything worked right "out of the box"... What needed a little tweaking: SD card reader, commercial (encrypted) DVD player, and hibernate. Some things where easier to get working than Windows XP, others weren't. But hey, (almost) no viruses and a fast, shiny no-cost operating system, I'll give it a shot!

I still have some setting up to do but so far I'm pretty happy with it :D
Google Adsense
Old 07-15-2012, 03:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.56 MB
nice looking charger in that image the 1969 dodge charger has allways been my favorite muscle car
Old 07-15-2012, 03:29 PM

They're one of my favorites too. I don't know why but I like the purple and white color scheme best
Old 07-15-2012, 05:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.56 MB
the reason that they are mine is because of the general lee
Old 07-15-2012, 06:53 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Kubuntu Linux 12.04??

Would that be Ubuntu Linux 12.04?

My Drawings
Google Adsense
Old 07-15-2012, 08:30 PM

Hi John,

It's actually Kubuntu, the KDE version of Ubuntu:
Kubuntu | Friendly Computing

I like KDE because it is more Windows-like than Ubuntu, which is more like a Mac. Not that that's a bad thing, just personal preference

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/unityplasma

Last edited by ProjectKITT; 07-15-2012 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Better link... I should have checked first!
Old 07-15-2012, 09:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.63 GB
Hi Projectkitt

Thanks for great posts and advice !!!!!!!

I cannot recommend PUPPY LINUX strongly enough. I have XP on all of my computers, but there have been several times when I booted live puppy linux to deal with a virus infection, recover files or use free PUPPY to do a back up and restore instead of buying an expensive backup program.

Basically if you use windows you need a PUPPY LINUX live boot disk as a "spare tire", to get you out of trouble. When Windows fails PUPPY will allow you to get at your files, connect to the inter net, and even run an anti virus scan and make windows healthy again.

Puppy Linux is a free download, and all you need to make a boot disk that will not change your Windows hard drive is a blank CD and a CD burner program.

If you have an older computer the newer versions of Puppy might not run well in it, since the linux kernel for new PUPPY is optimized for new machines. Download an older version of PUPPY or the WARY PUPPY version instead. Puppy is easy to use, it comes with good documentation, and booting from a live linux disk rather than a Hard Drive is a hoot. You can look at all of the Windows files that Bill does not want you to see.

Go Puppy,then try other types of Linux. It has gotten to the point where non propeller heads can use Linux.

PS

Projectkitt:

If you are able to get WINE, the program that let linux use winodws programs to run, could you tell us about it. I have tried and failed a couple of times and that is what is keeping me from making the changeover to Linux.

Last edited by John Wagenseil; 07-15-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.63 GB
Oh, BTW,can you get a scanner to run on linux. I was able to get a printer to work,but never could get it to recognize a scanner.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 79.93 MB
Hello ProjectKitt,

congratulation for joining the Linux Community.
I switched to Linux 3 years ago, after having troubles with Vista and i never regretted my decision.
In Contrast to you, i use Ubuntu Lucid Lynx, but that's only another Distribution. There are many advantages to use Linux, one is that allmost all software is free. In Windows, you have to buy almost everything, okay ou can get them for free, since the internet is big, but at last, that is illegal.
In Linux the software is free for everybody. One could say this software is not as good as the windows stuff, well everybody should decide that matter for himself. But even then, having free and legal software on your computer, that is not quite as good as windows software is better as using illegal software.
So the free availability of Linux all over the world makes it interisting also in third world states, which can't afford much money for software.

In the beginning, it was the simplicity of installing Linux to my computer that convinced me. Since i had problems using vista on my new HP Pavillion, i tried to install Windows Xp on it. But that was almost impossible, and it took me month. At that time a good friend iof mine gave me the advice, to use Linux. Since you can use all Linux Distributions from the USB Stick, I tried a couple of Distributions. Until i found Ubuntu, and it was love at the fist sight. Ubutu found all Hardware, and even the wireless.
Since that time i use it, and until now i have switched all my computers to Linux, also that of my parents. No problems at all.

One reason is the spirit of the Linux community.It was mentioned in this thread, that there are some hardwareproblems in Linux. In fact, some hardware devices need a little bit more attention before running. For example on my desktop I had problem running my Montor with highest resolution. There are forums of Ubuntusers all over the internet, where you can post your problems and questions. I posted my Monitor problem in the forum. A short time later someone answered and gave me an advice. Well it didn't run at once, and we finally sat a whole night long, before my System finally run in the way i intended it. I never knew or met this men before, i only saw his avatar and the place he came from (somewhere overseas), but he spent the whole night, helping me, someone he never knew.

That convinced me absolutely using Linux. And if there are some problems i post my question in one of the forums, and get always a quick and perfect answer.

It is the coherence of the Linux community that is really great.

I can only give you the advice of trying and using Linux further on. It takes some time, before you can use everything Linux software as good as you want it. Don't get disapponted!! It takes a time!! Look for a forum for your Distribution and don't hesitate to ask for your problems. I am sure you get an answer for all of your questions.
Also look in your place if there are meetings of Linux users. In germany there are this meetings in almost all bigger towns and i suppose there are similar meeting places also in oversea. You just have to google for such meetings close to you.

And for us Cardboard modelers Linux has another special feature for free Blender. I don't know Puppy linux good enough, but in Ubuntu Blender is already embedded. Blender is a great Programm for Designing 3D Structures, for renderings, films and also Cardboard models. Whith special Python scripts you can unfold the designed structures and export them to inkscape or blender where you can colour it, and print it. Just have a look under blender.org - Home.

Okay okay i come to an end with my litany. I think Linux is great stuff. Just keep on trying, and don`t get discouraged.

Many greetings from Germany

The Oldenburger

P.S.

There was this question to Kubuntu. Kubutu is a derivate of Ubuntu, the only difference is the KDE Desktop, instead of the Unity Desktop.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:26 AM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
I switched to Ubuntu Linux a year or so ago, for my primary desktop (my wife's PC and the other computers in the house are still on Windows). I've been happy with the switch overall - many things run better than in Windows, and of course the price is right. The only problem I've had so far is that my HP printer doesn't print color and contrast quite right from the Linux machine. There's too much green and the contrast is too high. I haven't yet found a proper printer color profile for Ubuntu, so I have to do my model printing from Windows.
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Google Adsense