PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 01-29-2019, 10:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Hey Don your colorful description reminds me of Thoreau and his brother's trip down a river...Some pics have to crop them a bit to upload, but some local birdlife this last week. BC Chickadee, pileated male and female she was entertaining in the berry bush, and a little mouselike Brown Creeper, was quite dark but still can see his colors.
The Great Horned Owls have been out as they nest shortly despite being winter still, and one was hooting from our big fir tree, could see his throat swell while hooting, pretty cool.
Attached Thumbnails
"birding" fun-chickcrop.jpg   "birding" fun-pilfemcrop.jpg   "birding" fun-pilmalecrop.jpg   "birding" fun-creeper.jpg  
Old 02-24-2019, 09:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Backyard Visitors

Magnificent images, Glen. I've never seen a brown creeper.

Nothing spectacular here, although today I saw the first red-winged blackbird of the year.

Not a bird, but I thought you and the others would like to see the deer that visited us a few days ago, the very cold squirrel on an unusual perch, a hairy woodpecker, and a goldfinch beginning to change into breeding plumage.

When the warmer weather comes and I hook up the hose, the first thing I am going to do is wash those windows.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
"birding" fun-190211_deer.jpg   "birding" fun-190220_squirrel.jpg   "birding" fun-190220_hairy_woodpecker_male.jpg   "birding" fun-190220_goldfinch.jpg  
Old 02-25-2019, 04:25 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
A second on the images Glen - great pics!

Don - thanks for the variety - interesting. Does the squirrel live in the box it is alongside?
Old 02-25-2019, 08:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Kevin -

The squirrel lives in a nest made from leaves high up in the trees (hackberry, shagbark hickory, black locust, honey locust, black cherry, silver maple, and a decreasing number of stately ash trees now stricken by emerald ash borers).

The ancient birdhouse was intended for bluebirds. Every year in the spring, one or two bluebirds check out the premises and decide they can do better elsewhere.

Don
Old 02-25-2019, 02:08 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks Don!!
Old 02-25-2019, 02:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
I had some squirrel feeders about like the one on this site:
http://www.birdsandblooms.com/backyard-squirrel-feeder/

They were not exactly like that one, but the basic design was the same. Made them out of some of those red cedar dog-ear fence boards that only cost around $1.00 USD back in the last century. Now the boards cost around $3.00 USD. Used a big ol' pickle jar to hold the corn.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.22 MB
Actually, bird watching is one of the reasons I recently moved to Humboldt County.

This is the most western part of the US and all kings of flocks of migrating birds crisscross the area, North to Canada, Alaska and Siberia, and south all the way to Chile.
It's a great way to keep track of seasons.

Actually, Ossifrage is a bird itself, also known as the Bearded Gypaete.
Its name means bone crusher, and its diet is up to 80% bones.
(I do not follow this diet personally)
Old 02-26-2019, 02:51 AM
Eternal Member

Doug - that is an interesting design. I may be tempted one day to do something like that - not for squirrels (we have none here) but for shrews and mice, as it would be interesting to see what we have around. I know that they are there!

ossifrage - sounds like a good move. Follow your hobbies if you can. I hope you will share some pics as you go - common as well as unusual!

I am familiar with the ossifrage/bearded vulture (lammergeier as it is known here) and have seen these on bush trips - though not frequently as the numbers are now sadly in decline. they can be located sometimes if you find one of their ossuaries and then hang around Sometimes!
Old 03-03-2019, 03:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
My aplologies to all that are enduring the end of winter...( it's single digits here today)
Usual vacation pictures are of people and places but mine are mostly birds....Bitter cold today but 10 days ago in Hawaii it was not that way at all.
Migrant birds to Hawaii include Golden Plovers, that fly pretty much non stop from Alaska, long established birds are the Black-Crowned Night Heron, essentially unchanged in appearance, this one was in a man-made pond but still a "wild" bird. The Nene is a pic of a captive bird, but they essentially are a long ago non migrant Canada Goose variant separated long enough to be another species, Northern Cardinals were introduced by folks who wanted to still see likely from Eastern US. Lots of other birds that are mostly introduced to the islands. Mostly intentionally. Mynas are abundant, Japanese White eyes sing from the bushes and trees, it's a unique mix of birds. The Stilt is a variant considered native to Hawaii, Ruddy Turnstones are migrants, other shorebirds are easy to find, including Wandering Tattlers, but none so common as the Golden Plover. I saw a Red Footed Booby for the first time, with a White Tailed Tropicbird and a Frigatebird as the only true ocean birds.
Attached Thumbnails
"birding" fun-dsc_0232.jpg   "birding" fun-dsc_0225.jpg   "birding" fun-heronbc-crop.jpg   "birding" fun-nenecrop.jpg   "birding" fun-stilt-walkcrop.jpg  

Last edited by birder; 03-03-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Great photos, Glen.