PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 04-28-2009, 01:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
The photos look great to me. I like loons and cormorants.

On a more pedestrian level, I noticed yesterday that the chipping sparrows are back -- a sure sign that summer is on the way (if the 90 degree temperature wasn't a strong enough indication).

Don
Old 05-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
Where Eagles Dare

About 10 miles north of me is Smith Rock State Park. On the eastern side of the park is a pillar known as Monument Rock. And on Monument Rock is a Golden Eagle's nest.

This past week, I have gone to rock area and sat on the opposite of the canyon from the nest, which provides a nice view of it. The nest sits about a quarter of mile away and about halfway up the rock face.

Well, Friday, I arrived for a look at the nest and noticed there wasn't a bird on the nest like there was Tuesday. So, with camera in hand, I sat down on one of the basalt pillars to wait for their return.

About fifteen minutes later, I decided to open my snack and grab a bite while I waited. Big Mistake...as I was bringing the first morsel of food to my mouth, one of the adults swooped in from low and landed on the left side of the nest. I dropped my sandwich, grabbed my camera and was just in time to get shots of the second bird swooping in.

The photos below show Monument Rock. If you draw a line across from the left side where the sky meets the ground to the right side, the nest is located in about the center of the rock. The others are of second eagle swooping in and the two on the nest.
Attached Thumbnails
"birding" fun-untitled_panorama1.jpg   "birding" fun-crw_7002.jpg   "birding" fun-crw_7003.jpg   "birding" fun-crw_7004.jpg   "birding" fun-crw_7006.jpg  

Old 05-09-2009, 02:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
Fantastic photos!!!!! Looks like a beautiful area to hike in........
Old 05-09-2009, 03:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Awesome Ash, glad you had your gear with you!
Old 05-09-2009, 06:41 PM

Excellent photos! Looks like you had a great time.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:49 AM

The month of May is special in the temporate northern hemisphere, all the migrants arrived, some of them in the snow, and now are nesting and calling, singing. Just listening in a fine spot, by a stream in a remote-ish area, so many birds can be heard. Some young have already fledged, Robins, Song sparrows, others are running or swimming about, Killdeer, C. Goose, most young are still in the nest as eggs or altricial nestlings. Butterflies of all types are about, yesterday many brilliant tiny blues were in the muddy spots, pale swallowtails now, Sara orange-tips. Goldfinches and Evening grosbeaks at the feeder, siskins, crossbills, three species of hummingbird at the feeder. All is well with the world it seems. Ahh May.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
I have at least 1, if not 2, robin's nest in the yews around my house - I was awoken the past couple of days to the gentle peeps of the little ones begging for food through the open window.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
Saw a mourning warbler, some Forster's terns and millions of midges at Point Pelee last week. Probably some other stuff but don't remember.
Some scarlet tanagers closer to my house the other day.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:19 AM

Dan it's nice to have the birds in your own yard, Kuba you have some cool birds there, we get Forster's here, too, but "only" Western tanagers, as only tanager. We have Mcgillivrey's as the counterpart to the Mourning, but around our area more Nashvilles and of course Yellows, some cool empid flycatchers, 5 species within walking distance, but some challenge...
Old 05-26-2009, 12:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
There is, once again, a mockingbird with a nest close to where I have my small vegitable and herb garden . That makes it quite interesting when I go out to check on things. :D
Google Adsense