PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 07-15-2013, 02:42 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
And rightly so Ash..... Stunning!

One of those 1 in 1000 shots.

Can you share the data on this one? Shutter speed, f, etc? Always of interest for a shot like this.

My best shot ever was a fluke. I saw a bird and took a shot on the fly with whatever the camera was set on and without really trying to focus. I then did the setting and focus bit, and took more pics.

The first shot was superb, the rest utter rubbish!
Old 07-16-2013, 12:15 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
Don and Kevin

Thanks for the comments on the photo. I have had people accuse me of "photoshopping" the image by mixing two images. I once entered the image in a photo contest and one of the comments I saw after it got two votes was "It doesn't look real."

Anyway, moments before I shot that image, I shot another one which folks seem to like also. It's attached to this post, along with the original image in its full view, reduced down. I thought I would just show y'all what the image looked like before I cropped it.

Photo data on both photos is:

ISO 200
Aperture Priority with Evaluative metering mode
f/6.3
1/1000
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens at 300mm
Full Time (Mode 1) Image Stabilization

I have taught myself how to use full time stabilization when panning images. It isn't easy to do, but I will start slowly with the pan, then gradually increase speed until I catch up with the subject at which point I squeeze the shutter. It sounds like a rather long time from start to shooting, but it isn't. Once I found the threshold which activates the stabilization in the lens, I experimented until I found just how fast I could initially move the lens without activating the stabilization. Now, it is second nature for me, although I had to find the new threshold for the 70-300L lens I now shoot with.

When full time stabilization activates during a pan, it really goes crazy attempting to fulfill its mission. This is especially true when the horizontal panning includes some vertical movement. To help prevent the vertical movement, I brace my camera by tucking my elbows in on my chest and moving only my upper torso at the waist during the pan.

I have tried Mode 2 stabilization with stabilizes the vertical axis only and is designed for panning. I didn't like the results and decided I would figure something else out. The process I use generally doesn't activate the I.S. However, I have noticed when I do activate the image stabilization, and since I move the lens smoothly and evenly, the I.S. acts like the lens is stationary and does its thing.

I have sold seven copies of these two images. Both look very good when enlarged to 11x14 or slightly bigger. Even though some people think the one is a faked image, most people see it for what it is...a great 1 in a 1,000 shot. 8v)
Attached Thumbnails
"birding" fun-crw_3231.jpg   "birding" fun-crw_3229.jpg  
Old 07-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks Ash.

Interesting. I cannot afford an IS lens, so make do with an unstabilised 70 - 200mm. Light enough to hold reasonably steady. But nowhere as good results - the IS is definitely giving you an edge.

Does it chew your batteries? I have a 100 IS lens - with IS on it is very consumptive!
Old 07-19-2013, 10:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Went out front to collect the emptied trash can and saw an unfamiliar bird shape landing in a tree. Retrieved my binoculars and saw that it was a Mississippi Kite. Two Mockingbirds started harrassing it so it flew to a tree in the back. Retrieved my camera (Canon A590IS) and took some photos then used the video function to capture some video. Of course, as it seems to always happen, as soon as I quite videoing a small bird dive bombed the kite.

Here is the shakey low quality video of the Mississippi Kite checking the area out:

Here are some pics:
"birding" fun-mississippi-kite01.jpg "birding" fun-mississippi-kite02.jpg
"birding" fun-mississippi-kite03.jpg "birding" fun-mississippi-kite04.jpg
"birding" fun-mississippi-kite05.jpg
Old 07-19-2013, 12:27 PM
Eternal Member

Doug...nice find on that Kite. I wish I had been into birds when I was in the southeast. Would have a lot more birds on my life list.

Kevin...the IS doesn't chew through batteries all that much. It activates moments after focus locks with the half press of the shutter button. It maintains stabilization while the button is depressed and then shuts off about a second or two after release.

I probably get a percentage or three less images when it is in use. But my 16 gig SD card holds slightly over 600 RAW images...more than enough that I need for my daily shoots.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Ashrunner, those are really great shots of the hawk.

Here's one I got sort of lucky on of a California blue jay. Had been trying to get a shot of one while I was hiking around, but they never sit still. I'd just about given up when this one lands in the top of the bush right in front of me. Being up on the cliff the fog wasn't too bad, but gave a nice soft background.
Attached Thumbnails
"birding" fun-2011-08-24-20spooner-27s-20cove-20california-20blue-20jay-l.jpg  
Old 07-26-2013, 11:55 PM
Eternal Member

Nice pic. See my PM - a perfect candidate!
Old 07-27-2013, 12:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Hey Kevin

Is this what you were talking about?

Wayne
Attached Thumbnails
"birding" fun-2011-08-24-20spooner-27s-20cove-20california-20blue-20jayx-l.jpg  
Old 07-27-2013, 02:30 AM
Eternal Member

Yes.

I was thinking more in the lower third like this (its not 100%) but I just did it quickly now on my blackberry ).
Attached Thumbnails
"birding" fun-air_20130727_00000.jpg  
Old 07-27-2013, 11:56 AM
Eternal Member

I do like the Scrub Jay. When I first moved to Redmond, Oregon, there weren't any in the area. They were all living on the west side of the mountains. One day, I was driving through some farmlands and there was a jay. I didn't think much of it, but suddenly there were lots of Scrub Jays everywhere.

Now, they are a common sight in central Oregon. However, they are noisy little buggers.
Attached Thumbnails
"birding" fun-scrub-jay-2.jpg