PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 10-02-2013, 02:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks for the comments and assistance, Ash and Glenn.

I agree that a pearl crescent is much more likely than a Harris's checkerspot, which would almost certainly not be found this far east. I failed to read the range and habitat notes carefully enough.

Don
Old 10-02-2013, 03:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Another little tip I picked up somewhere ...

If you've forgotten your tripod, tie a bit of string, or strong chord of some sort, around the camera so that it dangles to the floor.

Stand on the end of the string and pull up. Not as good as a tripod, but it's amazing how much it will steady the camera.

I now have 4ft of strong black thread permanently attached to mine. Even when loafing in an armchair it can quickly be tied to my belt or the chair arm.

Now all I've got to conquer is this focusing malarkey.

Johnny.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
We have been seeing a Great Horned sitting on the wires/trees in the evening and morning the last 2 weeks, so my son and I collaborated on getting some pics, we were quite lucky, although he got most of the pics as I drove and maneuvered about for different angle and see how close it would allow us...
Attached Thumbnails
"birding" fun-img_2261.jpg   "birding" fun-img_2263.jpg   "birding" fun-img_2270.jpg   "birding" fun-img_2269.jpg   "birding" fun-img_2271.jpg  

"birding" fun-img_2268.jpg  
Old 10-07-2013, 11:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
That is pretty good. Were you bothered by many squirrels during that time frame?
Old 10-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
About eight years ago, I went on a photo safari with a friend. After the day long trip, we stopped for a bite to eat and were talking. At one point, she said, "I wish I could get some owl photos."

The next day I was walking home from picking up some medicine, when I looked up into a group of nearby trees. I always do that, just to see what the trees hide. Well, in this case, the trees held four Great Horned Owl chicks and two adults.

I didn't have my camera, but I hurried home, called my friend and we both returned to the trees and fulfilled her wish.

I shot more images of the owls, but these were the best.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashrunner/283412180/in/set-72157594351554397

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashrunner/283412193/in/set-72157594351554397/

I went back to the tree line several days later and the birds were gone.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Don, some great birds there. Glen, really like the Great Horned. We had one on the farm when I was a kid that we kept until it healed up from a damaged wing. One look at the eyes told you that you get those fingers close to the cage you were going to lose one.

Just got back from a week in San Luis Obispo area again. Got a few bird shots I need to get edited and loaded up. Also for non-feathered flyers, the Warbirds Over Paso air show....eventually.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:16 PM

Thanks all, I enjoy hearing your recollections....nice pics Ash, look forward to yours Whulsey (feathered or otherwise)
(I see I was careless with the pics one is blinking and another is duplicated ....we took quite a few)
Old 10-08-2013, 12:28 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Great pics Birder and Ash!
Old 10-09-2013, 09:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Final batch fo Cape May Birds

Wonderful images of the horned owl, Glenn! I only once ever saw one in the wild, hiking at Philmont Scout Ranch 31 years ago.

The string idea is great, John. I will give it a try, meanwhile, these shots were taken with the camera hand held or braced against the side of the boat or on a railing, sometimes resting on a folded bandana or my cap.

Each image includes a file name with a general identification.

Some (the immature mute swan and the raft of gulls, terns, and shorebirds) were taken during a hike last Saturday at Cape May Point State Park with Don3 and the grandsons. The laughing gulls with some Caspian terns, shore birds, and others were on a sandbar in what we call the bunker or shallow pond near the Hawk Watch platform. We also saw a flight of five brown pelicans, but I had no hope of catching a shot.

The yellow legs, double-crested cormorants, clapper rail, and egret were Sunday aboard Skimmer, a flat bottomed boat that makes birding excursions into the salt marshes along the shores of Jervis Sound, north of Cape May Harbor and west of Wildwood, New Jersey. I THINK the yellow legs were greaters, but I defer to the judgment of you more knowledgeable birders.

The key image (albeit slightly blurry) is the one of the clapper rail, only the second time in my life that I have seen one, and this is by far the best sighting yet.

I snapped the buckeye Sunday at the dune near the cottage from where I watch the shipping in the Delaware Bay channel and the deep drafts moored at Big Stone anchorage. Usually, there would be hoards of migrating monarchs this time of year, but there has been a crash in the monarch population. We have also seen very few kestrels. In the past at this time of year we would have dozens of kestrels, some merlins, and the occasional peregrine falcon swooping over the dunes in the evening. Very, very few this year.

Now I am back in Carlisle, watching back yard birds, rather than shore birds. I am pleased with the new camera, and little by little I am getting used to it. I have not had the chance to digest all of your advice, Ash, but will certainly do so, and will continue to experiment.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
"birding" fun-131005_cmpsp_01_youngmuteswan.jpg   "birding" fun-131005_cmpsp_02_raft_of_birds.jpg   "birding" fun-131005_cmpsp_02_raft_of_birds02.jpg   "birding" fun-131005_cmpsp_02_raft_of_birds03_terns_and_more.jpg   "birding" fun-131005_cmpsp_02_raft_of_birds04_terns.jpg  

"birding" fun-131006_skimmer_01_yellowlegs.jpg   "birding" fun-131006_skimmer_02_yellowlegs.jpg   "birding" fun-131006_skimmer_03_yellowlegs.jpg   "birding" fun-131006_skimmer_04_cormorants.jpg   "birding" fun-131006_skimmer_05_clapperrail.jpg  

"birding" fun-131006_skimmer_06_grwhiteegret.jpg   "birding" fun-131006a_cmp_dune_buckeye.jpg  

Last edited by Don Boose; 10-09-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:57 AM

Hi Don nice pics, love the Clapper rail, used to see them in So Cal, but I don't think I've taken a pic of [I]any[I] rail.. very cool. The lep we don't have here and is beautiful. We have the usual number of Kestrels and Merlins here it seems, I have a friend who is a falconer and has a wild caught Merlin right now...flies like a fighter jet...have got up close to some really cool birds he has had (including 2 peregrines)