PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 12-11-2017, 12:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Wonderful images, Glen! Many thanks.

The pileated came back to visit. Here is a rather poor quality snapshot of the bird in one of our shagbark hickory trees.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
"birding" fun-171124_pileated.jpg  
Old 12-11-2017, 03:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Nice female pileated, and old tree looks cool ..I haven't seen one this year yet, but hope to see one. Nice pictures Wayne from the Southwest, is cool to see a Roadrunner has been lots of years since Ive seen one, I was looking through some old pictures though and found some of a Phainopepla (sp?) reminds one of the warm Southwest..
Thanks Kevin, I wish I could talk myself into some more capable photography gear, but I have too many hobbies!! So will be content with recording with my point and shoot, and enjoy the photos by others... (show us some ?)
Old 12-11-2017, 09:08 PM

The Pileated and the Ash Tree

Our magnificent ash tree was afflicted with a seam that opened its interior to rot and eventually attracted pileateds to feed (which was fun to watch, but caused concern for the house if the tree tumbled). Last April, I took some snapshots of the pileated-ravaged tree and the birds feeding just before we had the tree felled. Note the wood chips strewn around the base of the tree - woodpecker litter.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
"birding" fun-woodpecker-ravaged-ash-tree_170406a.jpg   "birding" fun-woodpecker-ravaged-ash-tree_170406b.jpg   "birding" fun-pileated-ash-tree_170406a.jpg   "birding" fun-pileated-ash-tree_170406b.jpg   "birding" fun-pileated-ash-tree_170406a.jpg  

"birding" fun-pileated-ash-tree_170406b.jpg  
Old 12-11-2017, 11:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Don, great looking woodpecker.
Glen, liked the shot of the eagle swooping in. Kingfishers with those spikey feathers and attitude I consider them sort of the Johnny Rotten of the bird world.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:09 AM

I forgot to mention how much I enjoyed the images you posted, Glen. I wish I could get a shot of "my" kingfisher, whom I often see skimming over the surface of the Conodoguinet or perched on a snag. You eagle shot was spectacular.

Don
Old 12-20-2017, 12:11 PM

Thank you Don your Pileated is majestic, and they are always impressive birds! Hope you and yours and whoever may read this has a nice holiday season this year. Here's a few older pics from the last year or two of kingfishers and Eagle, the best Eagle pic I have I posted quite a long time ago from the nesting pair here, I haven't found the nest they are presently using, today the ice has retreated for a few days, only, but we can see mergansers and goldeneyes today which is very nice.
Attached Thumbnails
"birding" fun-img_0744.jpg   "birding" fun-img_0402.jpg   "birding" fun-img_0686.jpg   "birding" fun-img_0750.jpg   "birding" fun-img_0452.jpg  

"birding" fun-img_0742.jpg   "birding" fun-img_1072.jpg   "birding" fun-img_1098.jpg  
Old 02-04-2018, 12:20 PM

First Bluebird and a Hawk

Last month, a hawk that I identify as a Cooper's until Glen tells me differently, rested in our back garden. I caught a snapshot through the glass and at a distance.

Today, it is snowing and the first bluebird of the year showed up at the feeder. Another snapshot taken from my desk through the window, so fuzzy, but it at least documents the visit.

I include some clearer images of the bluebirds that showed up in March last year, also in the snow.

And a deer down in the bottomland below our house. Taken in November 2017 when there was no snow. We have nice views from our sunroom and back garden.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
"birding" fun-180115_coopers_hawk_back_garden.jpg   "birding" fun-180204_first_2018_bluebird.jpg   "birding" fun-170316_first_2017_bluebird_in_snow01r.jpg   "birding" fun-170316_first_2017_bluebird_in_snow02r.jpg   "birding" fun-170316_first_2017_bluebirds_in_snow03r.jpg  

"birding" fun-171127_deer_conodoguinet_bottomland.png  
Old 02-04-2018, 12:34 PM

Awesome Don, so nice to see your bluebirds!! The female on the feeder is a great shot and your Coopers looks great the red eyes of adults is really cool to be able to see....
Old 02-10-2018, 10:18 AM

The ice melted (woohoo) and early in the AM a group of Hooded Mergansers...they are really pretty birds, but dark that time of day...
Attached Thumbnails
"birding" fun-img_1773.jpg   "birding" fun-img_1774.jpg   "birding" fun-img_1775.jpg  
Old 02-17-2018, 11:59 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Don and Glen - thanks for all the lovely images!

Don - liked the woodpecker ones especially. Pity the tree had to come down. Always sad. I had to cut down a willow at Christmas which upset me.

Glen - Kingfishers are always my favourites. They always look so intent, as indeed I suppose they are! Last week I was trying to take pictures of a Kingfisher but for some reason the bird was blurred. Tried a couple of other cameras with same result. Background, tree branches OK, but the bird looked liked a blurry watercolor. Very strange. Haven't been able to figure it out.

Just come back from the bush - saw some interesting birds, including some rare ones. Will post some once I have gone through them - need to reduce them in size before posting....