PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 06-12-2019, 08:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Momma was feeding Barney on the limb while I've been waiting to hear back from the IT group. Work is at a standstill until I can access the database ...
Old 06-14-2019, 08:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
They sure aren't going very far. This AM they are in my walnut tree, with a good angle to view the cat dish

There was also owl scat on my porch this AM, so I am pretty sure my efforts to help out the feral cats is creating a lazy owl...
Attached Thumbnails
"birding" fun-20190614_083202.jpg  
Old 07-17-2019, 11:52 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
VK - nice story and owl pics.

I was lucky enough to spot a little Owlet the other day. Interesting little creature.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Redhead, Deer, and Mystery Bird

A rare bird (to us) has been visiting our back garden. Until now, I had only once seen a red-headed woodpecker and that was on the Gettysburg battlefield, but one has been visiting the platform feeder recently. It's very fidgety, so I have been unable to get a good image, but these are good enough to make a positive identification.

I cannot, however, identify a dark grey bird about the size of a red-bellied woodpecker with woodpecker-like dorsal markings that has been visiting. I would be glad if any of you can help me out.

White tailed deer are abundant in Pennsylvania, and this pair have been helping us out by eating stray apples that litter the ground. Not as exotic as the critters that Wayne and Kevin routinely see, but we enjoy having them around.

I enjoyed the owl images. We hear owls every evening in the woods behind our house, but I have only had one sighting - a great horned owl that was perched in a tree near the Conodoguinet Creek and took flight, passing over my head as I was walking. No camera and would not have been able to get a shot anyway - the action was too fast.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
"birding" fun-red-headed_woodpecker_and_mourning_dove_back_garden_190716.jpg   "birding" fun-red-headed_woodpecker_back_garden_190716.jpg   "birding" fun-bird_sp-unk_and_common_grackle_back_garden_190724.jpg   "birding" fun-whitetail_deer_back_garden_190720.jpg   "birding" fun-whitetail_deer_back_garden_190720a.jpg  

Old 08-02-2019, 08:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.70 MB
Don,
The Grey bird could be a Northern Mockingbird? The large white stripes on the wings are throwing me off a bit. It looks like Mockingbirds tend to have smaller stripes? That was a close as I could come to a match.
Darren
Old 08-02-2019, 08:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Young Red headed probably traveling with parent, nice to knowing they still are around in the at your place. Striking bird.
Not meant initially but I came upon a dazed flicker in the road so took him to work with me after 2-3 hours he regained his alertness and flew off very fun
Attached Thumbnails
"birding" fun-3f8e1745-a554-4936-844c-f316c852b649.jpg  
Old 08-02-2019, 09:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Don, just confirming what Glen mentioned. That is an juvenile Red-headed woodpecker.
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/..._Woodpecker/id
Nice looking deer. Mmmmmm good.

Glen, nice job on the Flicker.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Glen - We had a similar experience with a hairy woodpecker that we found clinging to a cable on the lower outside wall of the sunroom. It seemed comatose, but after about fifteen minutes it flew away vigorously.

Glen and Doug - Thanks for the i.d. of the juvey red head. None of my bird books showed that image, but the site that Doug provided has an image that is a dead ringer!

Don
Attached Thumbnails
"birding" fun-bird_sp-unk_and_common_grackle_back_garden_190724a.jpg   "birding" fun-bird_sp-unk_back_garden_190724a.jpg  
Old 08-02-2019, 10:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Don, I have two main bird identification books that I use.
Peterson Field Guide to Birds of North America 2002 edition

and a Golden field guide
Birds of North America 1983 edition.

The Peterson has a better illustration of the juvenile Red-headed woodpecker.

I like those better than the Audobon Society field guide. They have good illustrations and maps whereas the Audobon book has some sketchy photos and the layout in the book makes it more difficult for me to find the ranges of the birds and the different looks between the male/female and the young birds.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:49 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Doug, Don, ditch the books for fieldwork and ID purposes!

I follow along when all the North American birds are posted on this thread and often look them up - either to ID them when unknown or just read further details of them.

And to do this I bought IBird Pro which I use on my Smartphone. I went for an app as years ago I ditched my books and prefer to now use apps for ID.

Much easier and quicker to use firstly, and secondly they are always with you.

The IBird Pro is the best North American one I could find and conforms with all the other bird ID apps., having drawings, photos, unique ID marks, call and vocalisation records, a birding search engine, and also an option to buy an additional AI photo-based recognition feature.

Have a look.... https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...bird.pro&hl=en I really do recommend this for your birding. The drawings can also be printed out and are of frameable quality.

And for anyone needing a South African App - look no further than here. This is by far the best (and also globally one of the best terms of design and feature use)... https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...abirding&hl=en