PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 12-31-2008, 10:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks for the kinds words.

Padre, we old colonels and Navy captains all know that the senior NCOs really run the military and we're mighty grateful and honored to have served with guys like you and Ashrunner and Jim and all the others.

And speaking of old Navy captains, I forgot to mention Old Troll among the "encouragers." Have a great Navy day, Ron!

I also forgot to mention Brian Short -- it's a long story: the CSI Press editor for my book was Betty Weigand; the skilled illustrator who drew the maps was Robin Kern. During the final phases of the editing and map making, I was struggling with trying to produce an acceptable model of the neat little Stinson L-5 that Roman designed for Brian's Alamo Squadron. I noticed that the airplane had the name "Betty" on the nose and asked Brian if he could conjure up another 1/48 scale L-5 named "Robin." He kindly obliged with a USAF L-5 that supported Army forces during the Korean War. The airplane is historically correct, although the one with "Robin" on the nose exists only in a parallel universe. My New Year's resolution (inspired by Lex) is to build more models, starting with the two L-5s so that I can send them to Betty and Robin with much thanks.

Mark: Yes. The book will be available for sale in the leafy papery version from CSI Press. I'll post particulars as soon as I have them.

Don
Old 12-31-2008, 10:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
There are several good writers here... Nice work, Boosed
Old 12-31-2008, 11:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 35.0 KB
Congrats on the culmination of a lot of work. Must be something like designing a model. There is the need to gather references, decide how to frame it and make sure it all fits together, and when it finally all fits go through a ton of tweaking and finally get it to where it is presentable and finally release it. Probably the hardest part is deciding that it is finally done (at least for me I always want to tweak something just a little more).

I have yet to download it but I will. I should contract my horizons a little I think and come down from the clouds.

Once again congratulations.

My models available for sale @ Gremir and Ecardmodels
Old 12-31-2008, 11:55 PM

Although your ability to design models is beyond my comprehension, Will, you're right on target about the difficulty of saying a writing project is finished. If I had not been faced with a deadline for the original study and then another deadlilne to get the revisions done for publication, I would still be tweaking.

Don
Old 01-01-2009, 01:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 71.39 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanShort
Congratulations Don! Have also taken a peek at the PDF and it looks good so far!

Ryan
Google Adsense
Old 01-01-2009, 07:46 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
I've got it downloaded, will be making time to read it ASAP.
Thanks!
Dan
Old 01-01-2009, 08:10 AM

Thanks Dan and Ryan -- my apologies for misspelling your name in my earlier posting, Ryan. It was late at night on New Year's Eve and I was being assisted by the two grandsons. Anyway, thanks for creating Robin's L-5. I hope I can post photos soon.

Don
Old 01-01-2009, 09:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 71.39 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanShort
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosed View Post
Thanks Dan and Ryan -- my apologies for misspelling your name in my earlier posting, Ryan. It was late at night on New Year's Eve and I was being assisted by the two grandsons. Anyway, thanks for creating Robin's L-5. I hope I can post photos soon.

Don
No worries!

Ryan
Old 01-01-2009, 10:41 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosed View Post
After six years of research and writing, my latest book, Over the Beach: Army Amphibious Operations in the Korean War, has been published by the Combat Studies Institute Press. Don Boose
Congratulations, Don!
I know first-hand what a massive project a history book can be and how good it feels to be finally in print. May you sell a million copies.
--David
Old 01-02-2009, 12:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Thanks for the book Don and congratulations on its publication. I can't wait to read it. Any mention of the train busters in it?

I'll be reading it at lunch time looking out my office window. My office overlooks the dockyard where HMCS Cayuga, HMCS Athabaskan and HMCS Sioux sailed to Korean from in 1950.

I recently read an account of Royal Canadian Navy Captain J.V. Brock, Commander of the six UN destroyers of Task Element, and their involvement in the withdrawal from Inchon; in HMCS Cayuga, Brock led his destroyers - three Canadian ships, two Australian and one American - 32 km up the narrow Taedong River at night to Chinnampo, the port of Pyongyang; the channel was seeded by the North Korean's with mines and two ships ran aground and had to turn back for repairs; at Chinnampo, the force guarded the evacuating troops against enemy attack, then shelled the port to destroy railway lines, docks and huge supplies of strategic materials which had to be left behind.

So - will there be another?

BTW: Thanks for the kind words about Sr. NCOs.

~ cheers

Last edited by B-Manic; 01-02-2009 at 12:26 AM. Reason: ~
Google Adsense