PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 01-07-2009, 09:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Shakin' the (family) tree

One of the reasons I have been slow to make progress on my recent Bartel BM-6a build is because one of my other hobbies has been thrust front and center. I started doing genealogy work about ten years ago, and it has been done in fits and spurts. As of now, I have about 700 names in my family tree, with some going as far back as the 1400's...no famous people or rich uncles, though. My father recently traveled to our ancestral home in Gaffney, South Carolina, and at his urging I dug out the family files that I haven't worked on for about five years. I'm in the process of updating, merging, and editing so that I can send my dad the updated file. He hopes to then track down some of our living relatives in the Gaffney area. I find genealogy research to be interesting, sometimes frustrating, and often rewarding -- I once met a distant relative after our independent searches revealed that we lived in adjacent cities.

Cheers!
Google Adsense
Old 01-07-2009, 10:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Cool stuff Chris! I had a great aunt that did the genealogy work in my family. Had some relatives supposedly traced back to the Mayflower and slightly before that. A few adoptions made things pretty difficult beyond that.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:29 PM

Did the family history thing for about 20 years. Spent far to much time in front of microfilm centres run by the LDS (That's Latter Day Saints or Mormons not to be confused with the acronym for a hallucinogen).

Always good to know where you came from, even if you don't know where you are going.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:05 PM

Sounds cool, if I had the time and brains I would do it too.