PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 12-31-2008, 03:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
"Over the Beach" is on the street

After six years of research and writing, my latest book, Over the Beach: Army Amphibious Operations in the Korean War, has been published by the Combat Studies Institute Press. It also became available today as a free downloadable pdf at the CSI Press website: http://www-cgsc.army.mil/carl/download/csipubs/bosse.pdf

There are a number of connections between members of this Forum and the book.

JimR read much of the manuscript.

Padre, who served aboard LSMR 536 (USS White River) during the Vietnam War, helped me get permission from the USS LSM/LSMR Association to use a photo of his ship to illustrate that class of warships. You can see the photo on page 427.

Footnote 42 on page 353 refers to a small-scale amphibious operation that I participated in during the Vietnam War, when I was advisor to a Vietnamese infantry battalion. Jim Nunn was aboard a river patrol boat providing security on our flank as we headed for the beach in the spring of 1967.

During the research phase, Shrike tracked down photos and information on the British hospital ship RFA Maine.

I got a lot of information about the landing craft, tank (LCTs) from Tim Perry’s (Wun Wing Low) “Kipper Boxes” web site. Ollie Bizer’s amphibious models and those of TexMan's PaperTigerArmaments and others were inspirational.

I received encouragement and good words from rickstef (always on the look out for new amphibious models for me), birder, Shrike, barry, Ashrunner, cjwalas, DrBill, dansls1, Kevin Stephens, and others.

And, as I say in my acknowledgements, my wife, Lil (who is a low-key member of the Forum) “assisted in the research, tracked down the history of every LST that ever landed on a Korean beach, proofread the pages, and provided the love and encouragement that have sustained me through the years of research and writing.”

Don Boose
Google Adsense
Old 12-31-2008, 04:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Congrats Don! That's quite an achievement :D
Old 12-31-2008, 04:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
I just had a quick look through it, Don and it looks to be an invaluable reference piece of work! Congratulations and thanks!
Chris
Old 12-31-2008, 05:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Sweet! Can't wait too read this! We are lucky to have you so involved with this model nuts group!
Old 12-31-2008, 05:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Congratulations, sir! The pdf is safely stored for perusal at my leisure. Your research skills and ability to finish such projects is truly inspiring - much like Carl's lifework of replicating every French armored ship of the line. Happy and healthy New Year to you and yours.
Google Adsense
Old 12-31-2008, 07:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 53.69 MB
Thanks, I also have it downloaded and will read it with pleasure. You Colonels and us senior NCOs are the ones who really ran the military. Everyone else was either too senior (disconnected) or inexperienced. :D
Old 12-31-2008, 07:24 PM

Just downloaded this too and greatly looking forward to it. Thanks much, Don!
Old 12-31-2008, 07:47 PM

Congratulations! It is indeed an honor to know you! Though it is not really my cup of tea, I will read it, if only to get to know you a little better.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:31 PM
Banned

I look forward to reading this, thanks a lot. I have gleaned so much iformation from you. It's great.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:54 PM

Is it possible to get a leafy papery version of it?

Oddly enough, one of the first titles that pops up on the CSI Press page I found, is a paper written by a friend I knew from second grade on through college.