PaperModelers.com

PaperModelers.com (https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/)
-   Other Things We Do & Make (https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/other-things-we-do-make/)
-   -   "Over the Beach" is on the street (https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/other-things-we-do-make/2284-over-beach-street.html)

Don Boose 12-31-2008 03:35 PM

"Over the Beach" is on the street

After six years of research and writing, my latest book, Over the Beach: Army Amphibious Operations in the Korean War, has been published by the Combat Studies Institute Press. It also became available today as a free downloadable pdf at the CSI Press website: http://www-cgsc.army.mil/carl/download/csipubs/bosse.pdf

There are a number of connections between members of this Forum and the book.

JimR read much of the manuscript.

Padre, who served aboard LSMR 536 (USS White River) during the Vietnam War, helped me get permission from the USS LSM/LSMR Association to use a photo of his ship to illustrate that class of warships. You can see the photo on page 427.

Footnote 42 on page 353 refers to a small-scale amphibious operation that I participated in during the Vietnam War, when I was advisor to a Vietnamese infantry battalion. Jim Nunn was aboard a river patrol boat providing security on our flank as we headed for the beach in the spring of 1967.

During the research phase, Shrike tracked down photos and information on the British hospital ship RFA Maine.

I got a lot of information about the landing craft, tank (LCTs) from Tim Perry’s (Wun Wing Low) “Kipper Boxes” web site. Ollie Bizer’s amphibious models and those of TexMan's PaperTigerArmaments and others were inspirational.

I received encouragement and good words from rickstef (always on the look out for new amphibious models for me), birder, Shrike, barry, Ashrunner, cjwalas, DrBill, dansls1, Kevin Stephens, and others.

And, as I say in my acknowledgements, my wife, Lil (who is a low-key member of the Forum) “assisted in the research, tracked down the history of every LST that ever landed on a Korean beach, proofread the pages, and provided the love and encouragement that have sustained me through the years of research and writing.”

Don Boose

willygoat 12-31-2008 04:49 PM

Congrats Don! That's quite an achievement :D

cjwalas 12-31-2008 04:52 PM

I just had a quick look through it, Don and it looks to be an invaluable reference piece of work! Congratulations and thanks!
Chris

birder 12-31-2008 05:20 PM

Sweet! Can't wait too read this! We are lucky to have you so involved with this model nuts group!:)

member_3 12-31-2008 05:27 PM

Congratulations, sir! The pdf is safely stored for perusal at my leisure. Your research skills and ability to finish such projects is truly inspiring - much like Carl's lifework of replicating every French armored ship of the line. Happy and healthy New Year to you and yours.

Padre 12-31-2008 07:07 PM

Thanks, I also have it downloaded and will read it with pleasure. You Colonels and us senior NCOs are the ones who really ran the military. Everyone else was either too senior (disconnected) or inexperienced. :D

redhorse 12-31-2008 07:24 PM

Just downloaded this too and greatly looking forward to it. Thanks much, Don!

Phil 12-31-2008 07:47 PM

Congratulations! It is indeed an honor to know you! Though it is not really my cup of tea, I will read it, if only to get to know you a little better.:rolleyes:

Zathros 12-31-2008 08:31 PM

I look forward to reading this, thanks a lot. I have gleaned so much iformation from you. It's great.

shrike 12-31-2008 09:54 PM

Is it possible to get a leafy papery version of it?

Oddly enough, one of the first titles that pops up on the CSI Press page I found, is a paper written by a friend I knew from second grade on through college.