PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 02-14-2013, 11:03 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
10 Pens, This feels like work now...

Hi all,

You have seen me around the forums, answering and helping out from time to time, but nothing in the sense of paper models or the like.

There is a reason for that.

In late October, I was approached by one of my co-workers for some pens, she wanted to give them to co-workers of her part time gig as a bartender at Lincoln Financial Field, home to the Philadelphia Eagles.

She wanted 10 slim line pens, in a material that looks like the current Eagles color scheme, and she liked the idea of a football themed clip on the pen.

We agreed on Chrome for the hardware of the kit, it looks better with the blank chosen, called Rain Forest

And we also chose this as the clip for the pens

I place the order with one of my many suppliers, and I get the box with blanks and kits in the day before Election Day, lucky for me, I had Election Day off, so I could use my dad's band saw and drill press to prep all the blanks for the pens.

After sawing and drilling, the prep turned to the tubes that go into the blanks , roughed up the surface, and pressed some baseplate wax into one end, and set them aside to be glued in later on.

Using the foaming white glue from Gorilla Glues, I set off to glue in all the tubes, 20 of them, into 20 pen blanks(2 make up one pen)

After the glue dried, it was time to clean the glue off, and square up the ends, and clean the insides of the tubes.
Once this is done, I can start turning.

My Co-worker wanted to give them to her co-workers around Christmas, and as luck would have it, the last home game was the Sunday before Christmas.

The Wednesday before Christmas, December 19, I had completed 6 of the 10 pens, and I was as proud as a peacock, because the pens looked great.
And I was delivering them to my co-worker.

I also had an appointment at my doctor, for a check up, and refill on some of my meds, so I set off to the appointment, I put the pens in their boxes on the roof of car, and put my messenger bag on the backseat, and step into the car and drive off.

As I pick up speed on of the main thoroughfares near my house, I see out of my rear window/mirror pens and boxes flying off my car.

CRAP!!!

I pull over to see if any of them survived, luckily one did, I am hoping that the others aren't too badly damaged.

I swing around and stop where I see one on the road, the only one I was able to recover.

I call my co-worker and explain what happened, and that I will finish the remaining four, and will order 5 new sets as soon as I could.

So, finished the remaining four pens I still had, ordered the 5 replacements.
Tonight, finally, some 6 weeks after it happened, I am done with the 10 pens in the original request.

I have been itching to slice into some paper, and I have started with a new build of the 3D Paper, American Airborne Soldier, Roy for those in the know.

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo

Last edited by rickstef; 02-15-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 02-14-2013, 11:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
OH man that sucks!! but they did look fantastic!.....Rich
Old 02-15-2013, 06:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Those are beautiful pieces of art. Excellent job.

And I'll bet that you might think about them every time you place something on the roof of your car for many years to come:-(

I did the same thing with a "Brand New" fresh out of the box Video Camera in May 1992.

Glad it worked out in the end, you do excellent work.

Swampfox
Old 02-15-2013, 06:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Pen Tool

Dear Rick:
Did you ever try to make one of the pens that has a exacto chuck in it will hold a scribe a pencil lead a exacto blade and I forget what all. If you havent I can look in the basement for me stash and tell were I found them. they make most of a travling paper working kit. I too am a wood turner. Ever made Lace Bobbins?
Enjoy,
MILES
Old 02-15-2013, 06:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Oh man! Murphy is alive and well. I hate it when the auto-pilot kicks in and stuff like that happens. The pens finally turned out good, though.
Google Adsense
Old 02-15-2013, 07:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Great craftmanship, Rick. Glad you were able to complete the order.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to ultra
they look brilliant rick

and well that's life u learn from your mistakes

ultra stone
Old 02-16-2013, 09:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
My sympathies for the loss of the beautiful pens after all that work!

As you and I have discussed, I consistently put things on top of the car when I get in, and from time to time, I forget that I did it in the 30 seconds it takes to get into the car. There are coffee stains along the top of my 12-year old Subaru Forester and once I left a trail of lecture notes along Chester Avenue.

See you in a couople of weeks.

Don
Old 02-16-2013, 06:55 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Sorry to hear you had a lot of extra work, but hey.... you got there and they look mighty fine