PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 06-10-2013, 10:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
Cute little fellow!

Why are they regarded as pests?
In the UK the American Grey Squirrel is regarded as a pest because they are so prolific and are commonly referred to as Tree Rats.

Also, being twice the size of our native Red Squirrel they kill the Reds by attempting to mate with them. Consequently there are very few areas in UK that the Reds can still be found.

Somehow Anglesy seems to have escaped the Grey invaders, so the reds are still quite common on the Island.

Johnny.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.06 MB
I've heard squirrels called "tree rats" too. They are rodents, after all. Sorry to hear they are an invasive species in the U.K. Luckily for me, I don't have to travel far to encounter them. I only have to walk out the front door and there is usually one around. My favorite is a one-eyed male (named "Nelson", of course). Here is a photo of "Molly Jane". They'll eat peanuts right out of my hand. I have apparently spoiled them!

Old 06-16-2013, 02:11 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Here we African Ground Squirrels about that size.

Fairly rare now as they only thrive in the bush - they cannot for some reason survive in urban or built up areas.

Wild ones used (used!) to be very unaware of humans. When I was a kid I remember sitting down and being given swarmed on by squirrels who saw me as a higher vantage point. Bit painful as they had nails like needles.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:01 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
One of my favorite critter photos is of a ground squirrel...a Golden-mantled Ground Squirrel to be exact. Almost every one calls this a chipmunk, but it isn't...at least not to a naturalist.
Attached Thumbnails
Wildlife (mammals, reptiles etc) Pics-crw_6249-.jpg  
Old 06-16-2013, 03:07 PM
Eternal Member

Very clear shot. With your big Canon?
Old 06-17-2013, 09:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Do bumble bees belong in this category? The Fujifilm Finepix has arrived. So far using mostly the default/auto settings but I did lock in the lowest ISO, which in this case is 400!

And then I used the SP1 portrait setting for a dog pic. LuLu is visiting all the way from Traverse City Michigan.

Curt
Attached Thumbnails
Wildlife (mammals, reptiles etc) Pics-bumblebee-iceplants-2-6-16-2016.jpg   Wildlife (mammals, reptiles etc) Pics-bumblebee-iceplants-6-16-2016.jpg   Wildlife (mammals, reptiles etc) Pics-bumblebee-iceplant-6-16-2013.jpg   Wildlife (mammals, reptiles etc) Pics-bumblebee-iceplant-best-6-16-2013.jpg   Wildlife (mammals, reptiles etc) Pics-lulu-6-16-2013.jpg  

Old 06-17-2013, 10:50 AM
Eternal Member

Humble bumble bees are of course allowed! Part of the "etc" wildlife!

Some seriously good pictures from that camera. The dog is especially good, given that it is white object in on a black background. I would struggle to get such a good exposure with an SLR.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Love your ground squirrel Ash, nicely composed with the wood, ect and such a pretty animal. Our actual chipmunks (which are actually still squirrels technically) have lines on their face and are very small, the mountain chipmunk being one of the smallest in the US I think. Your flowers and bumbles are nice, Curt! enjoyed them. We had a surprise yesterday, my son has befriended a young buck whitetail, maybe the same he was feeding as a fawn summer before last, and I have a odonata for Ash to help with, Darners don't sit much, so lucky to see this fellow warming up in the morning
Attached Thumbnails
Wildlife (mammals, reptiles etc) Pics-img_2014.jpg   Wildlife (mammals, reptiles etc) Pics-img_2021.jpg   Wildlife (mammals, reptiles etc) Pics-img_2018.jpg   Wildlife (mammals, reptiles etc) Pics-img_1999.jpg  
Old 06-17-2013, 10:59 AM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
Very clear shot. With your big Canon?
I shot this with an older lens, not the "L" I currently keep on my camera. This shot was with the 75-300mm lens...a lens I consider relatively poor, although is image came out good.

Curt...nice shots of the bumble bee. Looks a lot different from ones I shoot here, although I believe I saw a bee similar to yours a few weeks back...when I was sans camera unfortunately.
Attached Thumbnails
Wildlife (mammals, reptiles etc) Pics-bumble-bee-4.jpg  
Old 06-17-2013, 11:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Here's some comparison shots of a few squirrels, a chipmunk, (mountain), a red squirrel, and a Calif. ground squirrel
Attached Thumbnails
Wildlife (mammals, reptiles etc) Pics-img_1077.jpg   Wildlife (mammals, reptiles etc) Pics-img_0940.jpg   Wildlife (mammals, reptiles etc) Pics-img_1023.jpg