PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 06-24-2013, 08:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 47.62 MB
Getting Back into Photography

Still learning how to manipulate this camera.
I've always had an interest in not only general photography, but also astrophotography.
So this is my experiment. With the moon at perogy ( closest to the earth ) last Sunday. I thought I would give a try at shooting the moon.

For a first time, it came out not too bad. Mind you I took 40 frames at various settings.

Jim
Google Adsense
Old 06-24-2013, 10:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Great picture. Last year I tried to get a image of the moon, too. But my results were very bad. I use a Fuji Finepixx 3300. But I am an amateur with photography. So I don't know to which functions I have to take attention. Your experiment is so good. I have to try on my own to get a good one like yours. Again, fantastic photo.

Greetings Andy
Old 06-24-2013, 11:23 PM

Hi Andy.
Thank you.

I'm using a Fuji HS50 bridge camera. For moon photography you need to use a slow film equivalent setting, ISO 100 and manually set your speed around 1/250 sec and set your aperture for best image and depth of field. You have to use a tripod. One can do hand held if you up the speed, but you will loose the depth of field. Just some hints for you to try.

Jim
Old 06-25-2013, 01:36 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
Once you reach infinity on the focus such as the distance the moon is, depth of field means nothing. I always shoot the moon handheld at 300mm. But then I have a stabilized lens also.

Remember, the moon is nothing more than reflected sunlight. Meter the camera directly on the moon. If the moon is high, I will normally switch to manual exposure and shoot at 100 ISO, 400th a second and f/8. If the moon is lower, I adjust the expose appropriately or switch to the Program mode.

I went out to get an image of the "Super Moon" several times and each time I was greeted by clouds. 8v(
Old 06-26-2013, 09:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Jim, I have a Fuji HS30 and tried to get a good shot of the moon. I did not get anything close to your results. When you say set aperture for best image I get a little confused. I'm guessing that you are using full manual "M" mode to set both shutter speed and aperture. Do you then set the shutter speed at 1/250 guess at an aperture setting, take a photo, check the results and then set the aperture to something else, take another pic and repeat? I don't think that there is a "best image" setting for aperture unless you use the "S" setting for shutter speed and just let the camera pick the aperture.

Sorry if this sounds completely clueless but I just got the camera about a week ago and right now I'm a bit lost on how best to use it.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Curt
Google Adsense
Old 06-27-2013, 08:07 AM

Hi Curt.
Aperture is your iris opening ( F stops ) the amount of light let into the camera when the shutter opens. The lower the no. the less light is let in.
Yes use the full Manual mode (M).
In your eyepiece on the bottom of the screen to the left you will see 2 numbers. First is you shutter speed and the second is your aperture setting.
Which ever one is highlighted you can change with your Command Wheel. On top of your camera there is a button marked (+/-), this allows you to switch between the two to which ever one to adjust.
Remember to set your ISO (Film Speed) setting to 100 for this shot. On your camera there is a separate ISO button on the back.
Focus can be auto or manual, which ever works best for you.

I hope this helps. If you don't already have it here is a link to the full manual for your camera. The one supplied with the camera is only a partial.

http://www.fujifilm.ca/shared/bin/Fi...R%20Manual.pdf

Good luck.

Jim
Old 06-27-2013, 10:57 AM

Hi Curt.
One correction, the lower the F stop no. the more light that is let into the camera. My mistake.
And yes the idea of taking several shots with different "F" no. so that in the end you will have various shots to choose from, some will work out others will not. That's a good thing about digital cameras compared to film, you don't have to be worried about wasting film. Though back when I was shooting film I would still do this. Mind you I was developing my own so it was a bit cheaper. It's also a good exercise to learn more about your camera.

Jim
Old 06-27-2013, 07:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Thanks for the help Jim. I think that I've got enough now to start experimenting with manual mode. Your patient, thorough explanation has made a great difference.

Thanks,

Curt
Old 06-27-2013, 08:17 PM

Your welcome Curt.

Jim