PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 02-27-2009, 10:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
how to produce metal model train weels?

Hello all worldwide friends,

I am planing to make metal model steam locomotives and I am facing a problem of weels production. The thing is that I don't have any detail instruction in any archives of weel production base on that I follow.

What I know is in order to produce metal weels, we need some machines such as CNC, drill, milling, lathe...Making weels with round shape, to drill round holes...it's easy, but making some others parts on it ( bars from rim head to weel center, counterweight...) is difficult.

If anyone has any archives, movies, images showing the process from A thru Z for this kind of production, please help me. I am hungry for it.
Thank you in advance!
DMD

Last edited by dmd_hn; 02-27-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 02-27-2009, 10:22 PM

how to produce metal model train weels?

Hello all worldwide friends,

I am planing to make metal model steam locomotives and I am facing a problem of weels production. The thing is that I don't have any detail instruction in any archives of weel production base on that I follow.

What I know is in order to produce metal weels, we need some machines such as CNC, drill, milling, lathe...Making weels with round shape, to drill round holes...it's easy, but making some others parts on it ( bars from rim head to weel center, counterweight...) is difficult.

If anyone has any archives, movies, images showing the process from A thru Z for this kind of production, please help me. I am hungry for it.

Thank you in advance!
DMD
Old 02-27-2009, 10:23 PM

As far as I know, you need to carve a master and cast that. Then you machine the casting down to the proper wheel size. You might want to try some of the British model railway publications and sites as they seem to be quite into scratchbuilding and kitbuilding locomotives:

Peco Publications
Old 02-27-2009, 10:32 PM
Banned

Good Luck. I am a machinist, I have made white metal molds. I even have a small machine shop. If you have not mastered the basic skills you described you may be out of your league.

Last edited by Zathros; 02-27-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:49 PM

I understand

It's hard for me to make it without proper machines, about know-how for the machines, I think that does not make any problem. I can handle the machine and test till weels are perfectly done. After this, I'll buy a milling machines, micro lathe machine, then I can go.

thanks Jim for the PECO publication and thank Zathros for your advice.
Google Adsense
Old 02-28-2009, 08:14 AM
Banned

I would recommend you look into a Smith type Lathe/Milling combination machine, unless you have money to burn. For small train type stuff they are great. you may want to consider getting a used one if possible. The tooling, micrometers, indicators, dial gauges, v blocks, collets, end mills, boring bars, vice, 8" rotary table (essential) are going to cost you almost as much as the machine. Grizzly is a good place to look for eye candy. If you have the money get a separate lath and milling machine. You can ripped off very easily so you have to shop with someone who knows what to look for, i.e. Lose gibbs, worn table slides or screws. Used machines can be a great deal because many people buy these things and never end up using them. I have a 9" 1939 Southbend back gear lathe that is virtually brand new, age does not matter, condition does. If you figure out how to make the wheels without getting any machinery first, please post a picture of the wheels and how you did it because I would really like to know.

Grizzly.com -- Machine Specifications
Attached Thumbnails
how to produce metal model train weels?-granite1324-i.jpg  

Last edited by Zathros; 02-28-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:48 AM

Hi Zathros

Your guideline is very clear and useful. The website u give is so good, too. I'll get the G0463 to start, price <1500$ is ok for me ( includes freight to vietnam)

Best regards
DMD

Last edited by dmd_hn; 02-28-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Banned

I was not aware you were from Vietnam. I would not be shy about trying to make money with that machine is it is capable and you could make some money on the side, and learn more about the trade as the more you make the more you learn.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:38 AM

Vietnam, huh? You might be able to get the same machine cheaper from China or Vietnam. A lot of them are now made in China and possibly Vietnam as well. At least save on freight, but the original cost would probably be less as well.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhorse View Post
Vietnam, huh? You might be able to get the same machine cheaper from China or Vietnam. A lot of them are now made in China and possibly Vietnam as well. At least save on freight, but the original cost would probably be less as well.

I was wondering about that too. I personally would try and buy used locally. You can do Lathe work on a milling machine but it is hard. Making wheels mounted off of the spindle using a custom made jig and using the table as a cutting tool axis works but your really rowing upstream. If you can get a cheap 8" rotary milling table it would be easy to make the wheels and you could then machine the counter weights right into the wheel. Better know some trigonometry or at least be really good with scribing and eyeballing, though it will be hard to make consistent parts that way.
Google Adsense