PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 12-10-2013, 10:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
wooden ships - CSS Alabama kit

I've recently decided that my allotted three score and ten is rapidly winding down and, considering family history I can only reasonably expect a bonus to 10 years beyond that, so am expanding my modeling efforts into a brand new area...wood model ships of the wooden ship-iron men era. No pics to show yet, as I am still waiting for the mailman to come through with the most recent acquisitions, but I ran across an offer today that I just couldn't pass up. Modelexpo-online.com is offering up a plank-on-bulkhead kit of the Mamoli CSS Alabama in 1:120 scale for $139.00, over a $500 markdown from normal list price. A half-hour ago they still had a couple of kits left in stock. If this interests you, go to their site and click on the web specials button...certificate code is JOLLY13. My browser came up with a warning their security certificate had a problem, so if interested you might want to place the order by telephone. They are a reputable company and I have made several no-problem purchases from them. I mention this because the Alabama is sadly missing from the paper model world, and in plastic has taken on a definite 'rare bird' status. Enough members have expressed interest in the Alabama that I thought it might be worthwhile to make this post.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.47 GB
Darwin you really got a deal. I just went to the site, they have 2 left but at
$350.00
Everyday Low Price: $699.99
Savings: $349.99 (50%)
Old 12-10-2013, 02:06 PM

Tom, I just checked and the web special price is still 139. When you go to the page, click the web specials button on the top of the page, then click on Mamoli kits on the page you're taken to. You might have to enter the Jolly13 code in the box at the top of the page, but I got the superlow price without doing that. If you are interested, call them and dicker---they are prone to letting customers getting at or near the super-deal price even between special offer periods. The paint set is available at $39 that is specific to the Alabama.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
I just ordered one, no problems or dickering. Just like Darwin said just click the web special button. I'll save this for when I get old. That will be tomorrow, my 57th birthday.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.90 GB
Or you could use it as reference for developing a paper model.
Google Adsense
Old 12-10-2013, 08:35 PM

Now that is an evil thought.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.47 GB
Thanks guys. After I posted I found the correct link. A great buy.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
This kit is worth just about $139 and no more. ModelExpo often has specials at this price. Why they did an odd 1/64 scale vice 1/96 is beyond me. But the plans are good and yes, they are great for enlarging to make a cool paper model.

Not to be disrespectful, if you have hankering for the kit, by all means go for it!
Old 12-15-2013, 12:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
I got my kit in today. I checked EBay and $139 is a fair price for this kit. Plus it came with a $40 off my next purchase over $100 coupon. They even stuck in a free chisel hammer, helpful if I ever get put in Shawshank prison. Now I need to find a 1:120 scale USS Kearsarge to do battle with.