PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 03-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee4752 View Post
Got it. Sep 25, 1966, my brother's 10th birthday. I was 8 at the time. Koufax held the Cubs to 2 runs on 4 hits. Holtzman had a no-hitter going until the 9th inning, when the Dodgerd got 1 run on 2 hits. Baseball was my life back then, even before I discovered the joys of enjoying a cool one in the stands.
Yeah...that was the game I thought Maury Wills broke up the no-hitter in the ninth. I should have known since I didn't see the Dodgers play the Cubs all that often...hehe. One of my greatest memories is during a Cubs-Sox benefit exhibition game at the old Cominsky Park, there were so many people that they let some of the bleacher seaters out on the warning track to watch the game. I was one of the first people out the door and onto the warning track. Went down to right field area which Billy Williams was playing that game. Talked to him and even gave him a drink from my coke. He was, and still is. my favorite Cubbie at the time. I was really bummed out when he went to Oakland. Every uniform I have ever worn had the number 26 on the back.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
My first game at Wrigley Field was on a fine June afternoon. I rode the C&NW from North Chicago and got off at the Lawrence Street station. From there it was a long walk along Clark Street to the ballpark. As I recall there was a lot of Korean stores along the route.

My seats were in the upper tier. You could look over the rail and see third base a little to the right. But before heading to the seats I walked up the stairs from the ground level to the grandstand and there was the scoreboard and the playing field. The grass was green, dirt was brown, and the sky was blue. One of the best sights these eyes have seen.

Later I figured that I could take the C&NW to Evanston and ride the "L" to the Addison/Wrigley Field station. It was neat to take that long turn on the tracks and see Wrigley Field being revealed in the distance.

It always has amazed me how the Cubs could get 36,000+ into Wrigley for a Wednesday afternoon game when some of the other clubs struggled to get 10,000 for a Friday night game. Plus at Wrigley you have the rooftops across Sheffield and Waveland. I have not been to Wrigley Field since the late 1980's. Looks like they have added a few more seats to the ball park and the rooftops have gone highly commercial.

Remember when the Cubs were thinking about moving to Schaumburg?
NO SCHAUMBURG CUBS! NO SCHAUMBURG CUBS!
I signed a few petitions.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
Remember when the Cubs were thinking about moving to Schaumburg?
NO SCHAUMBURG CUBS! NO SCHAUMBURG CUBS!
I signed a few petitions.
I lived and worked in Rolling Meadows for a year after I retired from the USAF. I think it would have been cool to be able to see a game so close by, but only about once a month max. Ya just gotta go to Wrigley.

Currently working on: ISS