PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 01-11-2014, 08:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Dave - This map shows the location of Chuuk (Truk, as it appeared on Allied maps during World War II): Welcome To Truk Stop Hotel and Dive Center's Exclusive Website. Truk Stop Hotel and Dive Center | Truk Lagoon Dive Center, truk lagoon diving, truk stop hotel, truk stop, truk stop hotel chuuk, chuuk lagoon diving, truk lagoon, truk lagoon tours, tru

Truk and Rabaul were the two major Japanese South/Southwest Pacific bases until 1944. Operation HAILSTONE was a major carrier strike against both bases in February 1944: Operation Hailstone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don
Old 01-11-2014, 10:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
I remember watching a TV show once called Destination Truth that that dove on Truk Lagoon. They said in one of the old sunken ships with a cargo hold full of trucks, you can hear what sounds like a motor running.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Airdave, Thanks!

The photo's Themselves werre taken with a Sea and See Motormarine II 35mm underwater range finder camera.

LOL, the iPhone is not waterproof, it's just being used to "scan" my old negs.

As Don wrote, Truk was one of the Japanese main anchorages in the Pacific. Truk itself is JUST north of the equator. From Boston it's 8,063 miles, one way.

We sank scores of vessels and destroyed hundreds of aircraft. Un fortunately, the Japanese had moved out their capital ships about a week before so none of them were caught at Truk. But as a base it was left useless and pretty much cut off from the world. There were rollup attacks by the U.S. during the war. It was never occupied by allied forces but at the end of the war when troops arrived for the surrender, they found the remaining Japanese and islanders living in starvation conditions. Ironically, the Japanese were hoarding a 3 month supply of food in anticipation of an attack.

Last 3 photo boards are below.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Truk (Chuuk) Lagoon - Negative Scanning-sankisan-maru.jpg   Truk (Chuuk) Lagoon - Negative Scanning-truk-marine-life-1.jpg   Truk (Chuuk) Lagoon - Negative Scanning-truk-marine-life-2.jpg  
Old 01-12-2014, 01:48 PM

Herky, I though about getting another flatbed scanner with transparency capability but had had only fair results from the previous UMAX I owned.
Also needed something completely foolproof for me to operate.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagolden01 View Post
Herky, I though about getting another flatbed scanner with transparency capability but had had only fair results from the previous UMAX I owned.
Also needed something completely foolproof for me to operate.
the latest canon version here is the cs9000f but at a cost of 428 dollars for what will be a one off operation its out of my league.the one im looking at is basically a plug in slide/negative veiwer and its just over 100 dollars but on the downsize you can only do one at a time so it will be a long operation
Google Adsense
Old 01-12-2014, 02:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
I use one of these ... Strongly recommend it, but I didn't pay the Amazon price. I got a used one on ebay for £25.
Amazon.com: ION Pics 2 SD Photo, Slide and Film Scanner with SD card: Camera & Photo

Johnny.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
im waiting for these in their next half price sale.slow but cheap and as i say this is a one off operation for me.got about 300 to scan them i can sell the slides
Attached Thumbnails
Truk (Chuuk) Lagoon - Negative Scanning-9400023130011_e.jpg  
Old 01-12-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herky View Post
the latest canon version here is the cs9000f but at a cost of 428 dollars for what will be a one off operation its out of my league.the one im looking at is basically a plug in slide/negative veiwer and its just over 100 dollars but on the downsize you can only do one at a time so it will be a long operation
Herky, it really doesn't take too long to do them individually. Actually, I think it's better to do them individually instead of grouped. That way you can make some adjustments to each instead of an overall adjustment.

Joe
Old 01-12-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herky View Post
im waiting for these in their next half price sale.slow but cheap and as i say this is a one off operation for me.got about 300 to scan them i can sell the slides
Ooh! I like that!
Old 01-12-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
I use one of these ... Strongly recommend it, but I didn't pay the Amazon price. I got a used one on ebay for £25.
Amazon.com: ION Pics 2 SD Photo, Slide and Film Scanner with SD card: Camera & Photo

Johnny.
Johnny, I Looked at that one. Was more than i was willing to spend. Looks like a nice unit.
How did the scans come out?

Joe