PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 02-15-2014, 08:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 417.89 MB
Books

I couldn't see a thread on books that we are reading but forgive me if there is one on the forum somewhere.

I am halfway through reading The Great Arc, about the expedition to map India's topography from sea level to the Himalayas (and in the process, determine the circumference of the Earth). Incredible engineering feat which is overlooked now.

Finished recently reading The Virus House, a free e-book on the German Atomic Program in World War 2. A very informative book on a fascinating subject.

As you can see, I enjoy engineering based reading material.
Google Adsense
Old 02-15-2014, 08:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Sounds interesting.

Reading the Haynes Manual on the Routemaster bus so I can someday jump into the Revell model. The last one I finished was 'Andre Lefevere and the cars he created for Voisin and Citroen'. Trying to get caught up on a bunch of magazines. Just finally finished off reading the last "Farm Collector" in a collection of about 70 mags I'd bought. Now starting on 'Wheels of Time' the Antique Truck Historical Society mag bought a set of 50 or 60 back issues of it plus have a set of about a 100 'Air Classics' I bought.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:53 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Enabling Comprehensive Situational Awareness

how Public Safety organizations can use GIS and other web based tech to gain a complete picture of the hazard or disaster.
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 02-15-2014, 09:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
A Patriot's History of the United States From Columbus's Great Discovery To the War On Terror.

Very interesting read, with different ways to look at the USA's history, a view/version of what happened according to the authors.

Just now getting to the start of WW2, and the steps, action & inaction, leading up to the fighting.

Very long read, but informative.

Other books I'm reading in my spare time = Pipe Drafting and Design, Process Piping Drafting Workbook, Process Piping Drafting. Three books to learn how to draw Process Piping on my own time; while learning how to weld the pipes together at school.

All this leaves no time for model building or designing, however the 3D process piping I'm doing, as I work my way through the books, will help my model designing!

Mike
Old 02-15-2014, 09:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by piginapoke View Post

I am halfway through reading The Great Arc, about the expedition to map India's topography from sea level to the Himalayas (and in the process, determine the circumference of the Earth). Incredible engineering feat which is overlooked now......
The DVD documentary on that project was very interesting, too, and I'm sure you'd enjoy it. Must have been two years back that I found it in our local library, so I can't remember the exact title -- and it may even have been a British production. If you cannot track it down, I'll find it again, then give you all the particulars.

With all this manual labor, I may not make it out of retirement alive.
Google Adsense
Old 02-15-2014, 09:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 342.84 MB
Currently reading Airframe & Miniature No. 2: Hawker Typhoon by Richard A. Franks and Spitfire Mark V in Action by Peter Caygill, good reads for modellers
Old 02-15-2014, 09:41 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 594.81 MB
Not reading any currently, but I finished a while ago Ghosts of War by Ryan Smithson, great book!!!!

My all time favorite book (which I have read three times!) is Outlaw Platoon by Sean Parnell.

-RunwayOneSixRight (Matthew)
Old 02-15-2014, 09:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
I'm randomly rereading my Clive Cussler collection. I just finished "Sacred Stone".
Old 02-15-2014, 09:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
My book "list" is embarrassing. If it's not a text book for my classes I teach, or one for grad school, it's any number of children's books. My only "me time" reading I've been able to do is from magazines. I'm really getting into Flight Journal and Military Aviation Monthly.

I must say though that "Harold and the Purple Crayon" and "Shark vs Train" are always high on my reading list. My son's too oddly enough.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:45 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
I recently finished the third in Rick Atkinsons "Liberation Trilogy"--history of WWII: An Army at Dawn (North Africa), The Day of Battle (Sicily and Italy), and Guns at Last Light (D-Day to VE Day). All three read like great novels--highly recommended.

Currently reading: Fighter Pilot by Robin Olds, Good Wives: Image and reality in the Lives of Women Northern New England, 1650-1750, by Laurel Ulrich, and Jim Holt's Why does the World Exist?, a survey philosophy, cosmology, theology, and physics on the question, "why is there something instead of nothing."

And then there are my subscriptions to FLIGHT JOURNAL, Smithsonian AIR & SPACE, MODEL RAILROADER, and THE ECONOMIST.

And I shouldn't forget the two textbooks and a pile of articles for the marketing courses I'm teaching.

Did I mention that I read a lot?
Google Adsense