PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 09-17-2014, 06:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
That looks great. My old neighbor had one in white. It should be quite fun in the summer months.

Interestingly enough, I'm working (very slowly mind you) on restoring a 1958 MG A 1600 coupe with my best friend. We dug it out from behind his grand parents garage and hauled it to his house. Slowly but surely things are getting done.

You have to love nice inheritances like that.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
nice car you will have fun in that. the old man has a replica D type jag using mk2 runing gear.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:06 AM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major56 View Post
Beautiful! Looks like its crackingly good clean fun! Enjoy every minute of it.
Funny, across the pond here, t'is big yank cars we are wanting. Well, i got the '64 an a half mustang i always wanted, 15 years ago, but, how i ended up with a beige '79 diesel Coupe deVille as my daily driver is still beyond me!
We've been to Ireland. And I'm trying to imagine navigating a Coupe deVille (also known as a "land barge") around some of the streets and country roads we drove on! I'm impressed.

Gotta love that '64-1/2 Mustang. I learned to drive in one. I bought one from a friend when got married 10 years later. Nice car when it wasn't rusting out.
--David
Old 09-18-2014, 12:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 275.31 MB
Looks to be as much fun as I had when my uncle ran me around in his Karmann Ghia convertible when I was a lad in Iowa.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 148.50 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakrison View Post
We've been to Ireland. And I'm trying to imagine navigating a Coupe deVille (also known as a "land barge") around some of the streets and country roads we drove on! I'm impressed.

Gotta love that '64-1/2 Mustang. I learned to drive in one. I bought one from a friend when got married 10 years later. Nice car when it wasn't rusting out.
--David
Actually, the 'ol "land barge", is remarkably easy to throw around the roads here. Rear wheel drive and a steering lock that will allow it to nearly turn 360 in its own length. The big old 'bouncy' suspension is great on the back roads, soaks up them big potholes!

The poor Mustang has started to sucumb to the ravages of the Irish climate and is going to have be stripped this winter for a full restoration.(Dunno where on earth i'm going to find money to do it though!)

Have had a good number of VW powered trikes over the years. Great motor, and, no slouch when all that steel bodywork has been stripped off!(Got a scolding from a 'law enforcement' friend, who was on traffic duty and clocked me at 120!)

Cheers...Ray
Google Adsense
Old 09-25-2014, 07:31 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
I read an article about these once, believe it was Car and Driver that said this is a case where the replica was better than the original. Just think, with fiberglass you don't have to worry about rust damage. That's a really nice find.
Beard
The MiGi was offered as a kit for either air-cooled, rear-engine VW or water-cooled, front-engine Ford Pinto. I think it probably is better than the original:

No rust (except maybe the floor pan), no Lucas electrics (I could tell you horror stories about my MGB), and a bullet-proof VW engine you could overhaul with a screwdriver, a spanner, and a plug wrench.

And it looks great. It sounds a little like a VW Bug but these days, how many people know that? Actually the fiberglass body seems to make it sound a bit throatier and less tinny than my old Bug. The curb weight is only about 100 lbs less than the old Bug, so it's no pavement burner, but it doesn't have to be.