PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 02-16-2015, 04:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 163.49 MB
Martinsyde connections !

Maybe fifteen or so years ago, i went to an indoor flying meeting at Crawley in east sussex.
At the time i would build small models, around 1/48th scale, which was pretty unusual for flying models.
I remember i had a 13 inch wingspan mosquito (it`s still up in my loft) that flew quite well on the day.
Maybe an hour in to the event, a gentleman with two walking sticks approached my table, and asked me if i had ever heard of or built any Martinsyde aircraft.
As it happened i had a brand new Martinsyde G102 Elephant, that wasn`t even trimmed for flight. I also pointed out that Stuart Crossley had a `Martinsyde Semi.quaver racing plane at the event.

Mr Tait, explained he hadworked with the long since closed company.
He even had the old works clocking in clock in his hallway.
He explained that Martinsyde went on to make motorcycles when the powers
that be had decided to carry on building the Sopwith Snipe, rather than building the excellent Martinsyde F4 Buzzard, which was by all accounts, superior to the Snipe in all repects !

Mr Tait asked me to build a Buzzard for the Martinsyde museum in Brooklands.
I`ve never visited but i sure will have to one day.

So from then on i`ve had a healthy bias towards all things Martinsyde, and grew to appreciate the elegant lines of their handsome aircraft.

My avatar picture is my Martinsyde elephant (13 inch span) that still flies to this day. Indeed a friend has used my artwork and is in the process of building one for radio control (16-18 inch wingspan i think)

I completed the Buzzard, and a friend of Chris Tait came to pick it up.
I refused payment for the model, knowing that one of my models was in a museum was payment enough !

Chris Tait sent me a copy of The Martinsyde File it was signed by Mr Sanger who wrote the book.

If you get a chance, read up on a Martinsyde S1, which was similar to the Sopwith Tabloid. And the strange goings on of Mr Strange !

So there you have it, I design and build flying models, with just a little bias towards a certain company.

To my knowledge, there are three different animals pictured on RAF badges that can be traced back to world war one

A Camel
A Dolphin
and 27 squadron`s badge features an Elephant.
Attached Thumbnails
Martinsyde connections !-dscf1937.jpg   Martinsyde connections !-dscf1938.jpg   Martinsyde connections !-dscf1939.jpg   Martinsyde connections !-dscf1949.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-16-2015, 04:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Fascinating story, and a beautiful model of a historic aircraft.

Thanks for sharing.

Don
Old 02-17-2015, 07:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Truly awesome model; one of the unsung workhorses (for a time) of the RFC.

Wyvern
Old 02-17-2015, 11:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.27 GB
We have been watching "Wings" fr the BBC on YouTube there are only two seasons available but the WW1 RFC themed show is fascinating. They portray the struggles of the RFC, which originally was only thought to be useful for artillery observation. Then the Eindeckers show up and all hell breaks loose! Good show, fascinating subject! Here's the link to the first episode. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSfYbxpSSVQ

Formerly Styrene
aka David
Old 02-17-2015, 05:59 PM

Wings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Styrene View Post
We have been watching "Wings" fr the BBC on YouTube there are only two seasons available but the WW1 RFC themed show is fascinating. They portray the struggles of the RFC, which originally was only thought to be useful for artillery observation. Then the Eindeckers show up and all hell breaks loose! Good show, fascinating subject! Here's the link to the first episode. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSfYbxpSSVQ

Formerly Styrene
aka David
Hi David,
There is a dvd boxed (of Wings) set available in the UK, the quality is a bit shaky in places because some episodes were transferred from less than perfect copies..Another old friend of mine `David Boddington` built the radio controlled planes for the series, they also asked him to build a full size Be2c capable of taxiying,,,
Well David didn`t have any original plans, so he scaled up one of his r/c designs...And the full size version flew !
The regulations wouldn`t allow that sort of thing these days !

I`m fairly sure David`s Be was used for a few films, I`m fairly sure that it has been retired now, and resides in the RAF museum in Hendon.

Most of `Wings` is really good, but it decends into being a soap opera in places.
Historically speaking,,,don`t let the facts spoil a good story !

Cheers
Batesyboy ( Lee)
Google Adsense
Old 02-18-2015, 02:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 44.75 MB
Lee,
Thanks for sharing your story and your airplane, I really enjoyed both very much!

If you'd like to see more amazing WWI model airplanes and also share yours, go to the WW1 Aircraft Modelers Forum at forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com - Index

They now have a section devoted to paper and card WW1 aircraft models and they are very interested in seeing what we do. To them, it's an unfamiliar medium compared to the usual plastic models.

Cheers,
George
Old 02-25-2015, 01:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 751.01 MB
Hi Lee,

I've been looking at the "very long list" of Martinsyde planes to design and the first that would have been on my drawing board was the Elephant. But now I checked and you actually have it already. I'll have to choose another one, then.

Any preferences? (If I can find the 3-views of the plane of course )

Bruno
Old 02-25-2015, 05:20 PM

Hi Bruno,
I will sort you out a three view of the Martinsyde Buzzard.
It will be quite a challenge as it is deceptively difficult !
and there isn`t many 3 views that are accurate.
Cheers Bruno,
The Hannover is awesome !
Old 03-04-2015, 08:55 AM

Bruno (of scissors and planes fame)
has recently completed a Martinsyde F4 Buzzard from the plans in the Martinsyde File
book (as mentioned recently)
I have almost completed a retexture of the model (in photoshop)

I have tried to track down the museum in shoreham/ Brooklands, but to no avail as yet.
In my search i came across a photo of a Martinsyde motorcycle with the name `Tait` on it, so Chris`s name lives on...
All the best ol` buddy !
Old 04-01-2015, 08:36 AM

Currently working on a repaint by Bruno (scissors and planes) of the Martinsyde F4 Buzzard..
Might take a while though as i have a lot on at the moment !
Google Adsense