PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 03-10-2015, 08:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Paper mockups of plastic HO train buildings

Hey Y'all;
May or may not count as a 'real' paper model but last night I threw together some quick cardboard mockups of a plastic model kit I want to buy next month of three trackside sheds in HO scale.
Has been ages and ages since I've done anything resembling actual classic paper modeling.
Handcar shed, relay cabinet, and generic tool shed kit has been previously offered by Model Power and is now issued by Walthers. Walthers catalog has listed footprint dimensions, so, using those and the current website photo, I went to work.

Earlier today made the quick 2 mile trip to our model RR club to see where the sheds would look best around where I want them on one of my 4 modules.
Handcar shed ramp/platform will have to be shortened, but, hey, what fun is building a model if you don't change it!

A display carton for cat treats and a box for frozen egg rolls provided the raw materials.

Close enough. I don't like dilapidated walls and roof of handcar shed, will either build new, or sheet over existing, when kit is acquired and built.

Gotta lose a few feet off that platform. Electrical relay box is out of frame to left on other side of crossover signals.

That's going to make a colorful scene, eventually - "rush, rush, rush", isn't exactly the operative speed here :D
Shed models from plastic kit will be painted to match signal cabin and grounded caboose as yard office. Caboose is a 1960s Revell kit salvaged secondhand and rehabbed, that job being still in-progress. Was missing some parts; had decals applied to bare plastic; it needed love and I have love to give it.

Google Adsense
Old 03-10-2015, 08:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I actually had that handcar shed on my model railway forty years ago. I gave the other two buildings away because they were too modern for my set-up. Brings back memories.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Cool. Those old kits are fun in their own way.
If you ever get down I-70 to the Columbia area, we're in Boonville: model RR club has open house to public on 1st Saturday of month from 10am to 1pm, or so.
Business meeting and run session is 3rd Saturday.
And, often, someone will be at club tinkering with something during the week.