PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 03-18-2015, 02:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.40 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodduck View Post
Thanks! This model was not designed as paper model so I will have to rebuild a new one for ground up. I never design a building for paper model before so I will start with a less complicated building in my list first to see how things works before I just back in to motel.
Just cover the model with virtual sheets of paper. Then start unfolding them. The building itself will tell you when you can keep sides adjoining with fold lines and when you need to have separate parts.

Save the original file and work from a copy. You will learn more from a complex building than from a simple one. You don't have to do the whole building at once, just divide it up into logical sections and start on the less complex ones. By the time you get to the more difficult areas you will have already thought them through. Your brain will be problem solving it while you sleep. It is better not to lose momentum while you still have this design active in your head.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
Hey, George!
Small world! When I was at Disney, I talked to scene planning and animation depts. a lot to plan my shots, hardly with background, but I know you guys are doing awesome stuff. I’m at Dallas TX now. I came out here 5 yrs ago for a short term job that turned into 5 yrs. Now I’m looking to get back to CA again. If any studio picks me up in CA, hope we could meet. Oh, and thanks.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:43 AM

Kcorbin, you're right. I was looking at it last night. There are some moldings I need to simplify and flatten the wall panels. Over all, I think this model is buildable.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.40 MB
Its fun to let the building designs teach you how to unfold them. I try for as few pieces as possible. My roofs are always separate from the building because of the overhangs and the chimneys are their own pieces but I try to do the main structure in one piece. This one defeated me as I had to make an extra small piece for the base of the front overhang on the right side. Its a micro size model, just over 1 inch high so the fewer pieces to fiddle with the better. The holes in the base allow it to be lighted with miniature LEDs.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
very whimsical...

Wyvern
Google Adsense
Old 03-18-2015, 02:50 PM

Hey, thanks for breakdown.