PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 03-24-2015, 10:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Resurrecting the steel fleet: Ship simulations

Good Morning fellow modelers!

I saw we have a lot of ship enthusiasts here. I may consider myself one of them.

Some of us make great ship models, which I can only admire.

I also wonder what would be like to take the helm of one of those steel beasts and even a 19th century frigate.

Don't know how fond you guys are on gaming and simulations, but if you feel like going beyond the modeling, here are a few ones:

World of Warships (Closed Beta)
World of Warships

This one is not fully available yet, but a few lucky fellas got a beta key and are shiwing this game on youtube. I am impresse with the level of detail of the ships and the combat dynamic looks really fun. You can control historical ships, upgrade crew, guns, armour and structure in general. Looks real promising.

Battlestations Pacific ($)
Battlestations Pacific on Steam

Take place as a commander of american or japanese forces during famous ww2 air and naval battles. You may control an entire carrier task force or a sigle aircraft. Its a very fun and arcade style combat that can satisfy the casual gamer willing to control a fuso battleship or the master strategist willing to win the war. Btw, you can change history on this game.

Silent Hunter ($)
Silent Hunter 5®: Battle of the Atlantic on Steam

This is one of my personal favorites. If you want to take control of a german U-boat and prey on the ships on the atlantic, this is a good choice. Feel like making a quick stop at Scapa Flow and silently take down a 40.000 ton battleship? You can do it. It has a full rendering of the interior and exterior of the submarine and you can walk in there and interact with your crew.

This game values strategy and stealth action, otherwise, you may get sunk real quick. If your conscience doesn't allow you to be a german u-boat captain, silent Hunter 4 has the pacific theatre scenario and you control an american submarine.

Navy Field (free)
NAVYFIELD2

This a more arcade game. With that distant isometrical view, you control your ship in endless battles with dozens of players. You can control every kind of battleship, from frigates to carriers and battlecruisers. The ships vary from the early steel dreadnoughts to the gigantic battleships like Yamato and Missouri. You may also upgrade your ship and crew as you gain combat experience. Its free to play, worth checking out.

Naval Action ($$)
Naval Action

Do you like Patrick O'Brian's books? Want to feel like Capt. Jack Aubrey, and sink, burn or take as prize all kinds of enemy ships? This game primises that, plus the capability of freely exploring the worlds oceans. The best thing is that you don't have to personally live in a 19th century frigate, with poor higienical conditions and the risk of dying of infection.

Titanic: Honor and Glory (In development)
Titanic: Honor and Glory

For all the titanic enthusiasts, the developers are promising a full rendered digital ship, which the players will be able to explore. The game has its own plot and includes a real time sinking. This is on its second crowdfunding phase. A few screenshots and videos are available on the website.

Felt like writing about something different today. If you know any other interesting ship simulator, please add to the list. Hope you guys enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Resurrecting the steel fleet: Ship simulations-world_of_warships.jpg   Resurrecting the steel fleet: Ship simulations-battlestations_pacific.jpg   Resurrecting the steel fleet: Ship simulations-silent_hunter_01.jpg   Resurrecting the steel fleet: Ship simulations-silent_hunter_02.jpg   Resurrecting the steel fleet: Ship simulations-navy_field_2.jpg  

Resurrecting the steel fleet: Ship simulations-naval_action_01.jpg   Resurrecting the steel fleet: Ship simulations-naval_action_2.jpg   Resurrecting the steel fleet: Ship simulations-titanic_01.jpg   Resurrecting the steel fleet: Ship simulations-titanic_02.jpg   Resurrecting the steel fleet: Ship simulations-titanic_03.jpg  

Resurrecting the steel fleet: Ship simulations-titanic_04.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-24-2015, 11:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.15 GB
Don't forget the Ironclads series on Steam!