PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 05-31-2015, 11:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 77.46 MB
Virtual Models

I thought I would share this with the group here at Paper Modelers. I've had some issues lately with my eyes and the hands aren't as steady as they used to be but I think I have found a way to keep building. I now build virtual models from paper models. A few tears back I built Christ's Church as a virtual model and a few months back I tried it with the Christmas gift George Taylor provided for us, Randsburg Barbershop. I have also built many of Clever Models buildings as virtual models to be used with Train Sim. My wife is real happy about the models in this form 'cause they go on my thumb drive and don't take up room in her China cabinet. A couple days ago I finished a virtual Japanese tank made from a paper model designed by Lazy Life. It took many weeks and is compiled of 1227 polygons of various forms and sizes. I don't know what is next but I'm looking. John
Attached Thumbnails
Virtual Models-chi-ha-type-97.jpg   Virtual Models-type97-3.jpg   Virtual Models-type-97-4.jpg   Virtual Models-type-97-2.jpg  
Old 05-31-2015, 12:05 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
That looks very good John. What programs do you use to do your virtual modeling?
Old 05-31-2015, 12:23 PM

Programs

Elliott,
Thanks for the kind words.
I use Paint Shop Pro 8 and a utility for designing objects for Train Sim called "Train Sim Modeler".
John
Old 05-31-2015, 12:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 44.75 MB
John,
Your virtual models look great! I am so happy to hear that I was able to contribute to your modeling. I work just as much in the virtual computer world with my modeling as I do in the real world of modeling. I know how fun and satisfying virtual models can be. In fact, you are not limited by scale. You can add as much detail, and zoom in as much as you want. My virtual and real world modeling are intertwined since I use one to create the other.

I look forward to seeing more of your models!
George
Old 05-31-2015, 07:15 PM

Hi George and thanks for sharing your association with virtual models.

You are right, not limited to scale. Someone coined the phrase "V" scale for virtual models. I have a few other tanks in V scale and may post their pics.

I too have found much detail can be added by zooming in.

John
Old 07-14-2017, 05:54 PM

Cape Hatteras Lighthouse

This model was made from a free card model provided by "American Landmarks". There is no folding, cutting or gluing involved just 810 polygons with textures applied. I have attached a few screen shots.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Virtual Models-ch1.jpg   Virtual Models-ch2.jpg   Virtual Models-ch3.jpg   Virtual Models-ch4.jpg  
Old 07-22-2017, 05:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
nice models there. Any form of modeling is good as long as you enjoy it.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Very nice!

Back in the 1950s, the Kalmbach publication Ships and the Sea had a regular feature on "building" virtual models of ships on paper with a pencil and straightedge.

Don
Old 07-23-2017, 10:05 AM

Thanks at6, I am still building the traditional way but it is becoming harder with unsteady hands and eyes that aren't as they were when younger. I'll post a picture of the paper structure I've been working on since Easter, when it is finished.
Don and a "thank you" to you too, I can't imagine making a virtual model with a pencil and straightedge. The '50's seems so primitive as does an E6B computer.

I'll be posting, I hope, better images when I finish my current virtual lighthouse, "Alki point light" near Seattle.

John
Old 07-23-2017, 04:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnflys2 View Post
Thanks at6, I am still building the traditional way but it is becoming harder with unsteady hands and eyes that aren't as they were when younger. I'll post a picture of the paper structure I've been working on since Easter, when it is finished.
Don and a "thank you" to you too, I can't imagine making a virtual model with a pencil and straightedge. The '50's seems so primitive as does an E6B computer.

I'll be posting, I hope, better images when I finish my current virtual lighthouse, "Alki point light" near Seattle.

John
It sounds like you're older than me then. I'm 67 wondering if I'll still be able to do as I am in 10 or 20 years from now.
Google Adsense