PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 09-04-2016, 09:38 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
TR6 paper model

My main parts supplier, Moss Motors, offers some very simple free B & W tab and slot paper models of the more common British sports cars. Using Photoshop I customized their generic TR6 model to resemble my car.

The body and 2D interior are roughly colored to mimic the actual car. The wire wheels were borrowed from the Moss Motors TR3 model. I drew on a 2D luggage rack, and used photographs of my wicker tea hamper to mock up a scale paper one. The windshield was improved with a "reflection". I also made up 3D tires, with a simple black disc on the inside. The license plate matches my own. When I show my car, the tea hamper is displayed open as on the model.

The wheel base of the model is 2 & 13/16 inches which makes it a hair over 1/32 scale.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1971 TR6-tr6-side.jpg   My 1971 TR6-tr6-front.jpg   My 1971 TR6-tr6-tea-hamper.jpg   My 1971 TR6-tr6-overhead.jpg  
Old 09-04-2016, 03:29 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
I think it's a great looking model Don. Got any pics of it on the real thing?
Old 09-04-2016, 06:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 985.89 MB
I had planned to start my Air Force career as a single 2/Lt and a TR-3. In stead, I ended up with a wife (still with me at 56 years of marriage) and 1954 Chevy sedan. When my oldest son was in high school, he found a TR-250 (basically a TR-6 with a lower horse power engine) in running, but rough condition. We restored it to good condition (not perfect). He no longer has it (he is married with 3 daughters), but he enjoyed it during his single days. I am truly happy for you and hope you enjoy your TR-6 as much as my son and I enjoyed his TR-250.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Neat model. I hope to see your beautiful TR-6 some day, Don. We still remember our Infantry-blue MGB that we happily drove for seven years in the 1960s. I especially remember the top with the two-piece metal frame. After much practice, Lil and I got to the point where we could put the top up in less than 20 minutes, working together.

Don
Old 09-05-2016, 05:53 AM

I've tried to take photos of it on the car, Elliot, but I can't get the distance right: too close and you can't tell that it's sitting on a car - too far away, and you can't tell that it's a model sitting on that TR6. I love the TR3, Missileer. What styling! I'm currently modifying Moss's simple TR3 model to turn it into my buddy's bright red wide mouth TR3A. I like the looks of the TR250, too. The side profile is very much like the TR6, but the front and rear of the car is just more....stylish. The way the hood (er, bonnet, with apologies to my British friends) smoothly flows over the headlight bulges is beautiful. Don, the previous owner had driven it down to the shows in Carlisle and Hershey several times, but I've had it out on the highway a few times and I'm a bit intimidated by all the big rigs roaring by. Can't imagine a 4 hour trip.
Google Adsense
Old 09-09-2016, 12:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 613.72 MB
Beautiful car, lots of truely british Style with a capital "S". Your picnic basket complements it really well.
Here in Germany you can see quite some of them at vintage car meetings. Most of them have been reequipped with some more conventional electrics due to the british quirk of ataching the positive pole to the car body which in the hands of inexperienced mechanics could produce some spectacular short circuits and which lead to the bitter witticism about the most popular outfitter of british cars: "Lucas Electrics: Master of electric darkness."

Wishing you many happy rides!

Martin
Building: Cavalier Mustang chase plane by David Winfield, 1:33
Not a native english Speaker. Thus, constructive criticism is always welcome!
Old 09-09-2016, 01:32 PM

Hahaha, funny Martin. Lucas (or as it's better known here "The Prince of Darkness") has the same reputation in the states. In their defense, my TR6 still has all it's original Lucas electrics, and everything works just fine after 45 years. Some other funny Lucas one liners:
  • The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."
  • Lucas is the patent holder for the short circuit.
  • Lucas - Inventor of the first intermittent wiper.
  • Lucas - Inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.
  • The Original Anti-Theft Device - Lucas Electrics
  • and the best one of all - Q: Why do the British drink warm beer? A: Because Lucas makes their refrigerators