PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 07-07-2015, 12:05 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
My 1971 TR6

I thought I'd attach a few pictures of my 1971 TR6 LBR (Little British Roadster). I've wanted one of these for almost 45 years, and I finally bought one several months ago. The old adage is to buy the nicest (collector) car you can afford, because it's far cheaper in the long run than restoring one. That's just what I did. I even have the original bill of sale. Options included wire wheels, and an AM/FM push button stereo radio. The color is Sienna brown, which was only offered from 1970-72. I like it. A very rich looking color. The car had everything I wanted - the wires, the luggage rack, the wooden dash. I couldn't resist. Steering wheel is an aftermarket Momo, but I do have the original steering wheel in case I ever decide to go totally stock. The portable wicker tea set on the back is a recent addition.

Some help is requested from my English friends regarding the tea set. It's a Sirram, with bone china cups/plates/saucers by H. Aynsley. I know from the hallmark on the back of the plates that it was produced between 1946 and 1950. It was quite a find for $40. My question is in regards to all the little cannisters. There are 3 that are @ 3 inches square and high, and 2 that are @ 3 X 1.5 X 3 inches high. What were they used for? I assume that tea or (shudder) coffee goes in the thermos bottles, and scones, cookies, biscuits in the "Provision boxes". Alternatively, maybe hot water goes in one thermos bottle, milk in the other, and loose teas in a couple of the square bottles, with maybe sugar in another. Would honey or jam maybe go in the small ones??? Any help would be appreciated. I have a car show coming up this weekend, and I hope to be able to address any questions that might come up regarding the car, including the tea set.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1971 TR6-left-side.jpg   My 1971 TR6-rear-view.jpg   My 1971 TR6-right-side.jpg   My 1971 TR6-interior.jpg   My 1971 TR6-tea-set.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 07-07-2015, 01:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
After hearing you talk about this beautiful motor car, I am very glad to see the images. May you have many wonderful driving experiences.

The picnic basket reminds me of a 1960s Car & Driver snippet by a British contributor whose name escapes me. He gave advice on packing a sports car for travel: cold chicken and champagne in the boot, cigars, chocolates, and live birds up front.

Don
Former owner of a 1962 MGB

Last edited by Don Boose; 07-07-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Nice car, Don

The Thermos flasks would be for tea, already made up with milk.

The 'provision boxes' are for pretty much as you have figured out.

You will also need to start wearing a tweed jacket and smoke a pipe for the authentic look

Be nice to see some picks from the show

Tim
Old 07-07-2015, 01:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Don:
Nice find of the tea set that vintage of car, bungee cords would be ok, however I think that nice leather straps would look better to go on the luggage rack.
Good luck in finding more stuff to go with the car
Nice Pictures,
Miles
Old 07-07-2015, 01:16 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Errrrrr! The steering wheel is on the wrong side!

Seriously - a lovely car and it looks like a great and wise buy. Well done!

And I echo Don in wishing you happy times with it!
Old 07-07-2015, 01:56 PM

Thanks, fellas. I love the MGs too Don, and would have gladly purchased one of those, but the TR6 came up first. TC, TD, TF, MGA, MGB, midget, all awesome cars. LOL Tim, no tweed jacket yet, but I do wear a jaunty suede sports cap whenever I drive it. Maybe I'll buy a tweed jacket in the autumn. Gotta look the part. Miles, you and I see eye to eye. I just got back from the Big Lot discount store, and bought a couple of brown leather braided belts to tie it down - they look great and only cost me 5 bucks each. Cheapest things I've bought for the car so far. "Errrrrr! The steering wheel is on the wrong side!" Snicker. I don't know how you guys drive with the steering wheel on the right. I was in Scotland for a few weeks 10 years or so ago, and it confused me greatly. And shifting with the left hand - forget about it.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Luvly motor Don. Nice to see someone wiv' a bit o' taste, like.

Over the years I've rebuilt Rovers, Standards, Citroens, Jaguars, and the odd few Yank Tanks too. Yes of course the odd Austin and Ford crept in, but we won't mention them in polite company, eh?

Never been one for two seaters though. I like 'em, but I always found a back seat too useful like. No sniggerin' back there ... it's fer parkin' the kids in.

My rebuilding hobby culminated with a 3.8 Mk2 Jaguar, but I've still got an '85 Range Rover on the driveway. Trying to get rid of that now though, but 17 mpg gas guzzlers ain't that easy to move on. I've got the next one lined up for when it's gone though ... When you're retired, knackered, and looking for that last classic car to see yer days out with ... what do you look for?

Why a Triumph of course. Nice simple easy to work on mechanicals, with all parts still readily available (In UK that is). I still need somewhere to park the Rug Rats though (teenage Grandkids now), so I was heading for a Vitesse, but changed me mind and I am now chasing a Herald Estate for the added convenience, but it will no doubt end up with a Spitfire spec. engine in it.

Of course a Vitesse or GT6 mill would drop in there nicely , but at my age I just don't need that extra oomph no more. Especially round these winding Welsh backroads. 'er indoors refused to ride in the Jag, so I guess me 'ot Rod days are over now.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:19 PM

Thanks, Johnny. Back in the day - winter of 1971 I think it was - I bought a '48 Austin Devon with no rear window or windshield, a torn down engine, and a ruined interior. Cost me $50. When the snow filled interior melted in the spring, I was happy to find that most of the engine parts were still there, sitting on the back seat. I managed to get her back in running order, and actually got it inspected, registered, and on the road. That was my first British car, and I still regret selling it in '73.

The TR6 has already had a full restoration done, so all I have to do is drive it and enjoy it. I've met a few other British car enthusiasts over the past couple of months - one with a '62 Spitfire, one with a '58 TR3, and one with a '74 TR6. There's also a local British car club "The Brits of the Hudson", that I'll probably wind up joining. I recently discovered a specialty garage 1 mile from my house. The owner/mechanic works on British cars, and only British cars - Jags, Rolls, Bentleys, and of course Austins, MGs and Triumphs. I can buy pretty much every TR6 part down to individual nuts and bolts right here in the 'States thanks to Moss Motors and The Roadster Factory. A whole new world has opened up for me.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Great looking find!

Always been a fan of the open air sports cars since owning a 1968 MGB while stationed at Hawaii in the early 1980's.

Mike
Old 07-08-2015, 07:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 421.96 MB
Happy motoring, the TR6 is fun car with no more than the usual British quirks to become accustomed to. My first new car was a '69 TR6 that I bought when I got back from overseas duty. I liked it enough that I stuck with British cars for a decade or so.

There are 2 vintage racing events at Watkins Glen and Lime Rock Park coming up that might make enjoyable trips for you and your TR, you should check them out.

Glenora Wine Cellars US Vintage Grand Prix - Watkins Glen International

Lime Rock Historics - Home