PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 08-05-2015, 11:02 AM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
I have been riding recumbents for the past 9 years or so. I bought a used two-wheel recumbent but wasn't entirely happy with it. Sold it after two years and bought a new recumbent trike--a Terratrike Tour. I ride mostly for pleasure and exercise--30-40 miles a week.

I rode it from Ludington, MI to Mackinac City, MI a few years ago (3 days, 210 miles) and I've done several day trips of 50 miles or so around Wisconsin. The trike is no speed demon but it's great for touring--very comfortable.

I call it "my really fast lawn chair."
--David
Attached Thumbnails
Any other bicyclists out there?-infinity1.jpg   Any other bicyclists out there?-fairing1.jpg   Any other bicyclists out there?-mytour.jpg   Any other bicyclists out there?-bike-lane.jpg  
Old 08-05-2015, 01:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
How do recumbants compare to regular bikes on the knees? I had to give up riding when I tore something in my knee, but I need to get back in to riding again (sitting on my butt all day at work has increased the mass of my butt a little too much).
Old 08-05-2015, 04:01 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
How on earth do you steer the trike? I've stared at the pics until I'm blue in the face and can't figure it out. I see what may be one of a pair of steering (braking) sticks in the third pic. Do you steer by braking one side or the other?
Old 08-05-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
How on earth do you steer the trike? I've stared at the pics until I'm blue in the face and can't figure it out. I see what may be one of a pair of steering (braking) sticks in the third pic. Do you steer by braking one side or the other?
The photo on the left shows the trike's handlebar, with gear shifters and brake handles. At the pivot point on the frame, the handlebar is linked by tie-rods to the front wheel hubs. The shifters pictured here are twist shifters. My trike has levers.

Braking is differential (front wheels only and left & right brakes) and the disk brakes are very effective. Steering is through the handlebar. There is no rear brake.

My two-wheel 'bent pictured at right had a handlebar under the seat, linked to the front wheel by cables. It worked but it was twitchy and required regular tuning. The position took some getting used to.
Attached Thumbnails
Any other bicyclists out there?-whizwheels-tour-fwd.jpg   Any other bicyclists out there?-4-11-2006-22.jpg  
Old 08-05-2015, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
How do recumbants compare to regular bikes on the knees? I had to give up riding when I tore something in my knee, but I need to get back in to riding again (sitting on my butt all day at work has increased the mass of my butt a little too much).
You'd have to try one out. There are real biomechanical advantages to a recumbent. Your back is supported. Your trunk is extended rather than hunched over, so your diaphragm can fully expand. Your head, neck, and arms are in a more natural position. And your weight is distributed across your seat and back instead of your wrists and soft pink parts. And your body position offers less wind resistance.

I quit riding upright bikes ("wedgie bikes," "launch platforms") because my wrists, shoulders, back, and crotch couldn't stand the pain anymore. When I call my trike my "really fast lawn chair," that should tell you something.

Biomechanical disadvantage? I can't stand up on the pedals.

Until the early 1930s, recumbents and upright bikes raced in the same sanctioned bike races. Recumbents kept winning and bicycle manufacturers (Schwinn and the like) lobbied successfully to ban 'bents from racing. That, in turn, took them out of the bike shops.

'Bents resurfaced in the '60s and '70s due in part to a few DIY articles in Popular Mechanics. Today, they are coming back big thanks to Boomers looking for comfortable bikes. And they have their own growing racing scene.
Google Adsense
Old 08-05-2015, 10:54 PM

Choosing a Recumbent

If you are considering moving to a recumbent bike or trike, here's my strong advice:

Find a shop that specializes in recumbents, or at least a shop that handles a wide range of them. Here in Central Wisconsin, that's Hostel Shoppe in Stevens Point.

Talk with 'bent experts and ride a bunch of different 'bents. They come in lots of different styles, with a variety of features and different riding & handling characteristics. I rode a half-dozen trikes and three bikes before I chose my Terrratrike Tour and I made some mods to it before it left the shop, based on what I learned on the other trikes.

A lot of traditional bike shops now carry a few recumbents but they don't know the breed well and you won't learn much riding just one or two.

It's important to get a 'bent that fits your body and your riding style. And the only way I know of to do that is to test ride a variety of 'bents.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:58 PM

Bad Knees?

If your knees are really bad, you might consider a hand-powered bike or trike. Information here:
Adaptive Handcycling | Adaptive sports for anyone with a disability | Disabled Sports USA
Old 08-06-2015, 05:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 613.72 MB
Thank you for your very knowledgeable words, David!
Thatīs a Muller WindWrap on your Terratrike, right?

If you are European, especially German, you should visit the annual Spezialradmesse ("Special Bike Fair): Every year on the last weekend in April, takes places in Germersheim, South-West Germany: Willkommen bei der SPEZI 2015! - SPEZI ? Die Spezialradmesse
There is a heavy emphasis on recumbents of all kinds, but also bikes and trikes for the disabled, trailers and so on. With a bit of patience you can test ride lots of them. Also, this is a gathering of recumbent enthusiasts, so you can get first hand experience from active riders.

Knees: I got an arthrosis in my left knee and I keep it going by riding recumbents. Best thing for this is a trike with a really wide transmission range, so you can always find the right transmission for your needs. Better keep the pedalling rate fairly high, so pressure can be kept low: Good for the knees. Also, best ride them with click-in pedals. Makes recumbent biking a big lot more relaxed.

If I got the choice between doing a trip up to 15 miles distance by car or by recumbent I take the ībent: Silent, saves lots of money, keeps me fit and for me, itīs fun.
Building: Cavalier Mustang chase plane by David Winfield, 1:33
Not a native english Speaker. Thus, constructive criticism is always welcome!
Old 08-06-2015, 09:09 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Aha! Thanks for your clear explanation of the recumbent turning mechanism David. One less puzzle to solve now.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk View Post
Thank you for your very knowledgeable words, David!
Thatīs a Muller WindWrap on your Terratrike, right?

'Bents are Good for the knees. Also, best ride them with click-in pedals. Makes recumbent biking a big lot more relaxed.
Yes, that's a Windwrap with a DIY mount (red PVC pipe, pipe clamps, & bungees). I use the fairing for long rides and cold weather rides, not for daily fair weather rides.

The experts say a fairing like mine won't make much difference until you hit 18-20 mph. But at 10 mph with a 10-mph headwind, I'm there and it does make a difference. Tailwinds make me feel like a superman. Also it keeps me warmer in cold weather and lets me extend the riding season into late fall.

In my opinion, cleats (click-in pedals) are a must. Otherwise you spend a good chunk of energy just keeping your feet on the pedals. My pedals are dual-purpose (cleats/no cleats) and I will run short trips without the clips but for longer rides the cleats make riding easier and safer. I found a cheap ($20) pair of sandals online that take SPD clips and I wear them for most rides until the weather gets cold.
Google Adsense