PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 05-24-2009, 05:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
My New Toy

Hi All,

Being an employee of Las Vegas' biggest Photography outfit does have its' benefits once in a while, and no I am not talking about all the lovely exercise I get on a daily basis lugging in loads of supplies, merchandise and dragging out all the waste pictures, paperwork and cash that they seem to manage to drag in. As one of their employees, anything in the way of photo gear, we get at their cost. I have been looking to upgrade my trusty old Olympus FE 140 for a while now, it has been a pretty fair camera for what I do, mostly taking shots of models, under construction and finished as well as out doors expeditions to Lakes Mead and Mojave and other locations about Nevada and Southern California.

It is still quite usable and carries its' 6 Megapixels quite nicely, but I want to go to something that I can make a larger finished picture with as well as a few other features. We got in a shipment of some rather nifty Nikon L 20 cameras the other day that boast 10 Meapixels, a better movie mode as well as higher and lower ISO type settings. And yes, it means I get to tinker about with it to relearn all the common buttons and where to stick my oversized fingers to avoid taking extreme closeups of them as opposed to what I want to shoot a picture of, but that is a small trade off for getting a Nikon product for right at a Benjamen. So this is probably the last shot that my trusty old Olympus will take that will appear here.

Oops, when I previewed the post, I discovered that I may have let slip the next Fiddlers Green model that I am tinkering at.,,,,,,,,:o:D
Google Adsense
Old 05-24-2009, 08:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 125.24 MB
I bought my daughters Samsung cameras for Christmas a couple of years ago and bought one for myself last year. We have all been very happy with the reliability and ease of use of these cameras. They take great pictures and the batteries last a long time. I used to have an Olympus and it was a pain to use and ate batteries. I highly recommend Samsung digital cameras.

Amazon.com: Samsung Digimax S1050 10.1MP Digital Camera with 5x Advance Shake Reduction Optical Zoom (Black): Camera & Photo
Old 05-24-2009, 10:29 PM

Hi Barx,

Ah yes, the old battery eaters, my camera before the FE 140 was another Olympus, a D 380 2 MP job and yes, it ate batteries like a six year old does candy. I even used a cartridge belt to hold extras when I went out on summertime excursions with it, the heat made things even worse it seems like. Of course, it didn't help that my metal detector also used AA's as well, 14 of 'em at a whack.:D
Old 05-25-2009, 04:10 PM
Eternal Member

I would love to have a "converter" to turn my Olympus SLR into a digital!!! I've got a tub-full of lenses and other accessories that, as well as the camera itself, are obsolete. And only Fuji makes 35mm film and I never liked its color balance. Digital has its advantages, but I hate to ditch something that good.

Bob
Old 05-25-2009, 04:53 PM

Hello Bob, maybe I can help here. I too have a collection of 35mm SLR's that I am very attached too. I have shot many rolls, I like BW and afterwards scan thru printer and then down load onto PC. Re-size and attach to threads. This can work as good as using a Digital but not as easy, since you must print the photo and then scan vs just downloading to the PC straight from the camera. Looks like you enjoy photography as well as the wonderful world of paper which goes togeather, so dust off that moldy money and spring for a Digital SLR. With the world of Digital, PC and a good Photo program, awhole new world of photography opens up to you and if you like capturing the moment then give this a try.:DRick
Google Adsense
Old 05-25-2009, 05:08 PM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
I have a Nikon Coolpix 5700 that I'm very attached to. I bought it used (from my mom, so I know she took good care of it - she upgraded to the 8700 at the time, although I believe she has upgraded again since). It's great for me, because while it has all the fancy settings, you can also 'point and click' with it - and 5 MP is good enough for anything I'm going to do with it.
I did have to have it repaired for a wonky capture device - but it was all covered by Nikon and went very smooth and quick - so no complaints.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:08 PM

I too have a SLR, my trusty old Nikon N 50 with a couple of lenses. Unfortunately, print film is rapidly going the way of the dodo bird and Fuji never was high on my list either. We have one photo lab out of 15 that still develops print stuff, most of what they do comes from the little disposable cameras that tourists buy up like hot cakes from our stores. We do still stock Kodak film though and all of our paper that we use even to print out digital prints is Kodak as well.

Nice to know that Nikon service is still pretty happening as well.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
I am a camera buff going back almost 40 years. I have my father's original cameras from the postwar era (WWII) including a folding camera that uses glass plates instead of film.

I upgraded to digital and have the Canon Rebel Xti and a nice little P&S, Fuji Finepix, which is really a considerable camera.

One of these days, I'll get a full-frame digital camera when they finally get to 15 megapixels. That will be something!
Old 05-25-2009, 11:53 PM

Hi guys, just a suggestion, but if your not too attached to you old film SLR's try selling them to Astronomy clubs. I know a lot of amateur astronomers will use nothing but film.
Regardsv poppasmurf AKA Shane