PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 08-07-2015, 10:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.99 MB
John,
Never toys.....probably the great reason that I have so little interest in firearms today. Served with Army 63-70.......the weapons are meant to kill and they will, intended or not. Few of my firearms were ever fired, I was collecting history. Fired all od the exotic stuff that I needed at the tax payers expense. I hope you didn't think that I considered all of this plastic, wood and steel as "toys".
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
At the tender age of 18 I was introduced to my first firearm ... A Lee Enfield .303. Soon after that came the MkIV Sten, the 36 grenade and the bayonet. I learned to use them all well, and for real like, in Aden.

Soon after we got there the Lee Enfields were replaced with what they called an SLR (Self Loading Rifle), which was a Brit modification of the Belgian FN. Luverly gun for long distance work, but as we found in NI, way too powerful for use on street patrols, so the lower powered Enfield SMG and the Browning Hi-Power pistol were the preferred weapons, although few of the guys could actually hit anything with them. Later on the SLR was replaced by the lower powered SA-80, but I didn't use it enough to form an opinion of it, because ...

In a Jungle training school, I came across an ex-SAS Armalite AR-10. What a beauty. Using the same 7.62mm ammunition as the SLR, it was good for long distance work, and was even more accurate. With the added benefit of full auto for use as an assault weapon. By this time I was far enough up the ladder to be able to such things, so I commandeered 'Annie' as my personal weapon for the rest of my career.

Along with a 'stinger' named Flossy, Annie and I had many adventures (that I'm sorry cannot tell y'all about) for a good few years, but why am I tellin' y'all this? My point being that not once did I refer to these good companions of mine as toys. Tools of the trade, yes, but TOYS THEY ARE NOT!

These things have but one purpose ... to kill! And if you ain't intendin' to kill somethin' or somebody, I can't understand why y're messin' with them. Target shooting can be fun I agree, but try usin' somethin' that takes skill, like a bow, slingshot, or even a catapult.

Said my piece ... gettin' back in my box now.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.16 MB
Hi Guys,
Hey John,,,
I agree with all you have said.
Guns are for a purpose and should be respected not played with.
Unless you have one like mine,,,
Here are pictures of my RUBBER BAND POWERED BB PISTOL.
Yep,,,
I have a sharpshooter that was made in 1937 in the original box,,,
and has the original instructions,,, target in bag,,, loading tool,,,
and original tube of BBs.
I use other BBs that I got from a gun shop when I want to take
it out back to play with.
It's not only fun to play with, ( maybe once or twice a year ) but,,,
it is not going to fire a projectile past the perimeter of my yard.
Hope you all enjoy seeing it.
Best Regards,
Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Gun owners of the world - unite! Help needed :)-hpim5438-e-mail.jpg   Gun owners of the world - unite! Help needed :)-hpim5440-e-mail.jpg   Gun owners of the world - unite! Help needed :)-hpim5442-e-mail.jpg  
Old 08-07-2015, 10:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Now I see my mistake.

In our internet Netiquette using a quote " " mark or italic means ironic, colloquial or slang term. That is why words like "giver"*, "doorhandle**" refers to a firearm/weapon, esp. handgun in military/police slang. The term "toy" is much wider and includes also rifles, carbines, SMGs and so on.

Definitely, firearms are not toys.

BTW, Polish word referring to the word weapon/firearm is broń. Noun broń comes from the verb bronić, which means to defend.

*"giver" - Judge Dredd's lawgiver
**"doorhandle" - lever-style doorhandle, not American grip-and-turn door knob

Last edited by strk; 08-07-2015 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post

These things have but one purpose ... to kill! And if you ain't intendin' to kill somethin' or somebody, I can't understand why y're messin' with them.
It is easy to explain, Sir.

Why I spent some money on buying CZ vz52? Because I'm intending to kill somebody?
No, Sir -because that handgun, as being highly specialized device, is exceptional in its design among other handguns. You can not find anything similar-both of external, beautiful form and of internal mechanics. The fact it is still operational after 61 years , only increases the fun-factor of having it.

Why Mosin Nagant? Because I'm intending to kill somebody within 2000meters? No, Sir - because it is 78 years old fine example of great engineering, with a fair chance that made history, not only went through it.
The Mosin Nagant 1891/30 is as simple device as possible, it is beautiful in its frugal manufacturing, it has proven its effectiveness. What else is needed?

Just like wrist watches - all of them just show the passing time, but some are exceptional... You dont need to wear them.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Look guys, I'm not trying to denigrate your collection hobby. Having used many guns for real, and in anger, as much as anyone I would love to collect them, admire and appreciate the engineering marvels that some of them are. Especially the historic ones, and I am indeed building a collection of them as paper models, but I refuse to display them. I regularly have young grandchildren visiting, and I hate to think that anything I do will in any way encourage them to follow the paths I trod.

So don't get it wrong ... I love guns. Probably with much more than a healthy interest, but I'm an ex-warrior who carried and used them for 32 years. These were my tools, companions, and at times my saviors. I have a BIG respect for them, but it just rattled my cage a bit seeing them flippantly referred to as toys.

PS: Oooh I love that little Sharpshooter Gary. I've got a real use for that, but you'll not like it. I do have a BB gun in the shape of an AK47 that looks quite realistic, but it's a little too powerful for the job, so I use a catapult. The job? ... Persuading my neighbours cats that my bird tables are no go areas, and my flower beds ain't toilets, but I don't wish the cuddly critters any harm.

Last edited by JohnM; 08-07-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 08-07-2015, 03:53 PM

I couldn't agree more!

I want to apologize for that misunderstanding with toys vs. "toys" - it is a matter of different language and culture.