PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 09-26-2015, 12:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 342.84 MB
Anyone here play harp?

And now for something completely different

I realized that i haven't learned any practical music instrument by far, other than the flute which i learned on primary and have been forgotten anyway, so i went to a bookstore yesterday and bought myself a harp

It's a simple 10 holes C diatonic, i read that is a good one for starter, got that for a mere 4 bucks, i could have bought the beter one from Suzuki but they don't have C key in stock (mostly G)

This is the harp in question, not mine but exactly the same

Just learned how to hold it and played single notes from the internet, anyone here can help me where else to start?

Thanks in advance

P.S. I'm a complete dummies in music, and this is my first attempt since like, 6 years ago? i need to (re)learn how to read notes again now
Old 09-26-2015, 02:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
Here in the US they're called Harmonicas. Googling that might get you more info on how to play. (I'm tone deaf, so I went into percussion, i.e. beating things with sticks)
Old 09-26-2015, 09:43 AM

Yep, done that, of course, but i feel it's easier chatting with another player
Old 09-26-2015, 10:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Hey Raja
I've been playing the harmonica for years. I'm self taught and not very good at it but it is fun and I do enjoy it. Plus it drives my wife and kids crazy.
I found the easiest way to learn is to pick up a song book for beginners (the kind that has the hole number listed with an arrow to tell you which direction to blow.
Here's a picture of my old Horner Chrometta. It's in the key of C and also has a slide valve for sharp and flat notes. I still like my trusty Hohner Marine Corp Band better though. It fits nicely in your pocket.

Have fun!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone here play harp?-20150926_122509.jpg  
Old 09-26-2015, 10:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Again, I've no playing experience, just a keen interest in Skiffle music, but to aid your search for help ...

In UK they are also correctly called a 'harmonica', but they are more commonly referred to as a 'mouth organ'. I have never heard of them being called a harp.

There is a much simpler instrument called a 'Jaws Harp' ... sometimes incorrectly referred to as a 'Jews Harp', but this is quite a different thing altogether.

Of course it depends on your music tastes, but Bob Dylan's early records are a good intro to the 'Scatt' style of 'Make it up as you go' music.

Hee hee ... MS spell-checker couldn't handle skiffle or Skatt. Too ancient I guess.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:14 AM

Thanks for sharing gentlemen

In my country they are indeed also called Harmonika, with K, but i saw a lot of people calling it Harp, but whatever it called, i kinda started to love this instrument. Doesn't give me headache from constant blowing and it fits really well in my pocket, even better than my 'modern' phone

I already get the hang of Bob Dylan's 'Mr Tambourine man' and The Hollies' 'He ain't Heavy, He's My Brother', still working on achieving clean single notes though

Kevin, so how does it work with the valve, is it much different than the usual one?
Old 09-30-2015, 12:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
No. Don't play the harp, but I know plenty of women who constantly harp.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.42 GB
I used to learn the harmonica when I was a primary student in Bristol. A famous harmonica guy used to come to our school and teach us how to play it. I still have the harmonica (only has four holes) but I don't really use it often. I'd love to learn it again!!!
Old 09-30-2015, 02:32 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
try youtube instruction threads, or just playing the harmonica on there, it really helps to see it.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.42 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceagent-9 View Post
try youtube instruction threads, or just playing the harmonica on there, it really helps to see it.
I still have a book they gave me. I think it was made by Hohner or something, can't remember what the name was. I should find it from my book corner and read it again.