PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 01-02-2016, 03:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.24 MB
r.c help

is there anyone out there by chance who has good knowledge of how transmitters,receivers,servo's work ...

i'm trying to find out how to do something and don't have a clue on where to ask or what it might even be called(the thing i'm trying to do that is)...

thanks guys...
Google Adsense
Old 01-02-2016, 03:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.51 MB
I have some 1:10th scale nitro street cars and a 1:10th nitro stadium truck. Been awhile since I played with them, and they're older gear, but what's your question? Pictures might help, too.

(insert clever signature comment here)
Old 01-02-2016, 03:33 PM

ok here goes lol ....

i have a camera , it has a momentary switch on it..quick press takes a still .. long press starts and stops recording.. i want to know if i can hook it up onto one of my channels on the R.C ..taking away the switch that is..

the camera is self powered so however i do it , it can't interfere with that?..

hope it makes sense..
Old 01-02-2016, 04:05 PM

OK - I see... you want to run a camera on your R/C (car, plane, 'copter?) and want to know how to hook it up to operate through your remote control to take stills and or video. Correct?

First, you need a multi-channel radio that will control not only the working features of the R/C model, but also the add-on devices you want to use, such as the camera. Simple car radios (pistol grip with a wheel & trigger) are typically 2-channel, controlling 2 servos (nitro) and/or 1 servo with an electronic speed controller (electric). Aircraft radios (twin stick), can be 2-channel, up to 8-10 or more channels. This is to control the extra features of various aircraft models (aerilons, rudder, elevators, throttle, landing gear, bomb-bay doors, etc., or any combination).

I don't have any experience with newer multiple roto-copters (drones), so I have no idea what kind of set-ups they typically run. I would expect multi-channel (minimum 4) twin stick would be required.

If your camera doesn't have some kind of R/C controller interface, you'll need to rig up some kind of servo mechanism to push the button and assign it a switched channel on the radio. That's probably the only way to keep the camera's power source isolated from the R/C model's power/control system.

Not knowing more, I hope this helps.

Old 01-02-2016, 04:10 PM

thanx .. pretty much got all that already ...

its a quadcopter .. with a 6 channel rc ...the 2 channels that are spare are at the moment rigged up to something already .. channel 5 controls the self level function , and channels 6 controls the LED's ..was hoping i might be able to rig the cam up somehow..
Google Adsense
Old 01-02-2016, 04:18 PM

Sorry - didn't mean to insult, I just didn't know how much you knew based on your question and information provided.

Might have to sacrifice the LEDs to make the camera work. Which is more important? You could always switch off between the LEDs and camera, either manually plugging/unplugging, or having a 3-position switch controlled by the 6th channel - one position for the LEDs to be on, the middle as "Off", and the other side as "On" for the camera servo to push the button.

If you need the LEDs for orientation purposes in the dark (or as required by local regulation or something), you might just plug 'em in to a constant power source and have them always-on to free up the 6th channel for the camera.

Just brainstorming. Hope this helps.

Tags
calledthe, clue, guys, knowledge, thing, r.c