PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 08-22-2018, 07:32 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Thanks Don.

I had a look at the puzzles site and did two of your puzzles- when I should have been doing something else! Feel free to use the image if you want to - I can send you a better quality picture as well if you like.

-------------

Darter - crime is rife this side. So aside from the reasons Rick gives (which are also valid) attempts are made to stop trains - to either rob the drivers or take goods. In fact, as I mentioned, a lot of locos are being retrofitted in some areas in the field with bulletproof glass and armour plate (plus now wing mirrors) over the windows. See the pictures below.
Attached Thumbnails
Railway Pics - Locos, Rolling Stock, Buildings, Etc!-ba1p.jpg   Railway Pics - Locos, Rolling Stock, Buildings, Etc!-ba2.jpg  
Old 08-22-2018, 07:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by darter View Post
Why would anyone throw rocks at or drop rocks on trains?
The same reason scumbags did to the buses I drove...and it wasn't limited to rocks. Over the years I drove had 2 windows shot out. Plus multiple ones kicked out both from inside and outside.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
GP 38-2s in Carlisle (Finally!)

I finally managed to be at the same place at the same time as a couple of "my" Norfolk Southern GP 38-2s and had a camera with me.

These images were taken from the corner of Orange Street and High Street in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, USA at around 1545 today (10 September 2018).

Not great photography (snap shots taken with a Nikon Coolpix L22 in the rain), and these rather ordinary locomotives can't compare with the wonderful rolling stock that Kevin and Wayne routinely photograph in South Africa and California, but these are the class of locos that roll through my home town a couple of times a day.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Railway Pics - Locos, Rolling Stock, Buildings, Etc!-ns_gp18-2_5288-5628_180910_orange-high_carlisle_01.jpg   Railway Pics - Locos, Rolling Stock, Buildings, Etc!-ns_gp18-2_5288-5628_180910_orange-high_carlisle_02.jpg   Railway Pics - Locos, Rolling Stock, Buildings, Etc!-ns_gp18-2_5288-5628_180910_orange-high_carlisle_03.jpg   Railway Pics - Locos, Rolling Stock, Buildings, Etc!-carlisle_pa_usa.png   Railway Pics - Locos, Rolling Stock, Buildings, Etc!-ns_gp18-2_5288-5628_180910_orange-high_carlisle_map.png  

Old 09-11-2018, 10:19 AM
Eternal Member

Thank you Don. Those are great.

The first one is very nice - because it shows the train in its element, not just isolated on the rails!

I have always liked the NS scheme as well - one of the less garish colour schemes.....

And while you say they are very ordinary, to me, of course, they are very exotic. If I had the money I would fly across the world for a "spotting" holiday. Not going to happen though!

Thanks for the maps as well. Had a visit on Google Earth!
Old 09-11-2018, 10:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Don, agree with Kevin on those. Especially for the NS scheme.

With moving found a small album of railroad shots, some mine, others copies from a late friend. When I get more organized (?), will scan some and post. Also since the south end of the street I'm on by US 60 is the headquarters of the Eastern Arizona Railway will get some shots of them. They're a former branch line of the Southern Pacific that was spun off during the merger. Anyway got the rental pickup until 5pm so before I have to get back down to Glendale and turn it in (and get #3 cat), need to head to the lumber yard.
Google Adsense
Old 09-11-2018, 01:14 PM

Kevin and Wayne -

Glad you liked the images (and sorry to have dislocated you in California, rather than in your new home in Arizona, Wayne).

When we first came to Carlisle 28 years ago, these same locomotives were passing through, but in Conrail blue and white. Although I now have a proprietary fondness for NS, when the Conrail break up came, I was initially disappointed that the old Pennsylvania Railroad Shippensburg Division (which includes Carlisle) was not acquired by CSX, since that is the successor to my home-town beloved Baltimore & Ohio.

However, CSX got the old Western Maryland Hanover subdivision that includes Gettysburg, about 30 miles south of here, and a place I visit often, so I get to see SD 50-3s in the CSX blue-gray-yellow livery that is vaguely reminiscent of that of the dear departed B&O.

The SR trackage through Carlisle runs right past the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center and the Army War College, and right through the center of Carlisle and the Dickinson College campus, all the places I usually hang out (I took these images from in front of Leo's Ice Cream shop, where I was enjoying a vanilla cone and reading after a class at Dickinson). It also runs through some very pretty farmland at the base of the South Mountain ridgeline, another area that I pass through often.

So I may post a few more images in the future (on a brighter, sunnier day, it is hoped) and might even capture some of those CSX SD50-3s).

Don
Old 09-11-2018, 01:16 PM
Eternal Member

Interesting. Look forward to the shots.....
Old 12-26-2018, 09:08 PM

Christmas Train

For the 21st time, Don III, Don IV (Wei - 23), Christopher (Kai - 18) and I traveled to Strasburg, Pennsylvania, to ride the steam train (https://www.strasburgrailroad.com/) and visit the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania (https://rrmuseumpa.org/). Once again, we rode behind No. 90, formerly of the Great Western Railroad (of Colorado, USA, not to be confused with the UK GWR [God's Wonderful Railway].

1. We are aboard the Dining Car (No. 93: Lee E. Brenner). Left-to-right: Don III, Kai, Wei, me.

2. At Paradise, PA, No. 90 (Baldwin-built 2-10-0 decapod) runs around for the return journey.

3. Mission Complete. After topping off with water, No. 90 heads for the barn.

4. The annual Boose Boys photo in front of heavy metal, this year we posed in front of Juniata-built Pennsy Class A-5s 0-4-0 Shifter No. 94. L-to-R: Kai, Don III, Wei, and me.

Best wishes to all for a terrific 2019.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Railway Pics - Locos, Rolling Stock, Buildings, Etc!-boose_boys_strasburg_trip_2018_01.jpg   Railway Pics - Locos, Rolling Stock, Buildings, Etc!-boose_boys_strasburg_trip_2018_02_nr90_runs_around.jpg   Railway Pics - Locos, Rolling Stock, Buildings, Etc!-boose_boys_strasburg_trip_2018_03_no90_heads_for_the_barn.jpg   Railway Pics - Locos, Rolling Stock, Buildings, Etc!-boose_boys_strasburg_trip_2018_04.jpg  
Old 12-27-2018, 03:40 AM
Eternal Member

Thanks for the pictures Don.

the inside of that dining car looks splendid.

I really like Picture 3 as well. American steam locos are huge and complicated looking, compared to the pocket locos I am used to!

PS: Enjoy the movie today
Old 12-27-2018, 08:22 AM

Hi Kevin -

Strasburg keep their ca. 1900 clerestory, open-platform, truss-rod rolling stock in pristine condition and try to recreate the internal appearance of the passenger equipment of the era.

I like that shot, too, and I plan to jigsaw-puzzle-ize it.

Don
Google Adsense