PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 09-17-2016, 01:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Williams Grove Pennylvania Annual Steam Show

During the Labor Day Weekend, younger son, Don III, and family, including the two grandsons (now 16 and 21 and both long-time paper modelers, although now intermittently) visited the annual Williams Grove Historical Steam Engine Association show, which coincides with a huge tractor gathering and flea market. Although we have lived in Carlisle for 27 years, and I love steam engines, this is the first time that we were able to visit the event. We enjoyed watching the tractor pull contests and wandering among the thousands of tractors on display (including vintage Ford tractors like the one Don III operated as part of one of his many college summer jobs back in the 80s - see last image, with Grandson Christopher in the background).

There were more steam tractors than I had ever seen before. The engines were remarkably quiet, but the metal boilers mounted on steel-rimmed wheels made a lot of noise as they clanked and rumbled around the circuit. Now and then one of the monsters would trundle up to a working saw mill to have the long leather belt attached to the auxiliary drive wheel so that the steam tractor could drive the big circular saw.

There were also many stationary steam engines of various kinds, as well as an ex-Pennsylvania Railroad 0-6-0 switch engine (No. 643) that pulls a couple of open passenger cars back and forth on a mile-long track.

I did not have my camera with me, but Don III took a few snaps with his iPad and I show them below. I am not knowledgeable about steam tractors, so I cannot provide identifications.

For some reason, I cannot connect with the website of the Williams Grove Historical Steam Engine Association, but if you Google that name, you may be able to get in.

Meanwhile, here are some videos that show the tractors, engines, and Old 643:

Williams Grove Fall Steam Show 2015:</SPAN>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWsgLpgEDzM

Steam in the Grove - Pennsylvania Railroad 643 2015: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OV-WP4WFpw</SPAN>

Williams Grove Fall Steam Show 2014: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg5HtXLu4cY

Williams Grove Historical Steam Engine Show 2012: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lYSHnB1hu8

Williams Grove is about 20 minutes from our house. We are lucky to have three other railroad-related attractions about 45 minutes away at Strasburg, all of them first rate and well worth a visit if you are ever in south central Pennsylvania:

Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania: http://www.rrmuseumpa.org/

Strasburg Railway: http://www.strasburgrailroad.com/

National Toy Train Museum: http://nttmuseum.org/

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Williams Grove Pennylvania Annual Steam Show-img_1276.jpg   Williams Grove Pennylvania Annual Steam Show-img_1277.jpg   Williams Grove Pennylvania Annual Steam Show-img_1279.jpg   Williams Grove Pennylvania Annual Steam Show-img_1284.jpg   Williams Grove Pennylvania Annual Steam Show-img_1285.jpg  

Williams Grove Pennylvania Annual Steam Show-img_1288.jpg   Williams Grove Pennylvania Annual Steam Show-img_1289.jpg   Williams Grove Pennylvania Annual Steam Show-img_1290.jpg   Williams Grove Pennylvania Annual Steam Show-img_1292.jpg   Williams Grove Pennylvania Annual Steam Show-img_1293.jpg  

Williams Grove Pennylvania Annual Steam Show-img_1296.jpg  

Last edited by Don Boose; 09-17-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 09-17-2016, 01:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Got my attention. Thanks for the photos. The 3rd photos not sure of that one. The 6th is a Case 65. The 7th is I think an Eclipse which were built in Waynesboro, PA by Frick which is still in business as Frick York Refrigeration. 8th Case. The Ford is of course the world famous 8N and that looks like an early one from 48 or 49.

Last edited by whulsey; 09-17-2016 at 01:43 PM. Reason: change
Old 09-17-2016, 02:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.31 MB
That looks like a great event! I've always had a big interest in steam tractors. When I was a kid, a local fair would have a half dozen or so on display.

Are you familiar with this place?

Home Page

It is a few miles east of Stroudsburg on Rt. 30. I've been to a few of their events and they are outstanding. The next one is October 7 and 8. If my niece wasn't getting married that weekend I'd suggest meeting up with you there.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:20 PM

Thanks for the i.d.s, Wayne.

John - We drive past the Rough and Tumble Engineers at Kinzers, near the Delaware border, every time we go to and from Cape May, but I never stopped there. I am considering driving over on October 7 or 8. Incidentally, on 1 October, Don III and I will be taking the six-hour cruise down the Chesapeake aboard John Brown, the last operational Liberty ship. http://www.ssjohnwbrown.org/living-history-cruise/

Don
Old 09-17-2016, 02:21 PM

Pennsylvania is overrun with good stuff like that, for example: Coolspring Power Museum
Google Adsense
Old 09-17-2016, 02:25 PM

The other thing I think about when I hear Williams Grove is Williams Grove Raceway which is actually in Mechanicsburg (how appropriate) which is one of the best sprint car tracks in the nation.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:41 PM

Wayne -

They are both in the Borough of Mechanicsburg and very close to each other. The Speedway, Steam Association, and Flea Market are in a triangular area a few miles southwest of the town of Mechanicsburg bounded by the Pennsylvania Turnpike on the north, Route 74 to the southwest, and Route 15 to the east. The Speedway is north of the Conodoguinet Creek (which my house overlooks a few miles to the west) and the Steam Association grounds, including the railway are south of the Creek.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Williams Grove Pennylvania Annual Steam Show-williams-grove-area.jpg  
Old 09-18-2016, 06:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.62 MB
Looks like a fun weekend to me! Thanks for sharing. I love this stuff. I'm glad your in an area drenched in history and enjoy sharing it with us, Don!
Have A great Day! George
Old 09-18-2016, 06:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
There is a US Navy support facility in Mechanicsburg, PA. I remember having contact with that place.

Those old steam machines always look both beautiful and dangerous.

It is entertaining watching all of those levers and rods and wheels and gears chugging along together to get something done.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Don was telling me of this adventure last weekend when I was visiting PA to catch up on family and friends. I was born, raised and have lived most of my life (so far) in Waynesboro PA except for two years of college and almost the the last five here in Iowa. Here are some of my knowledge tidbits:

1. Frick does still exist but has morphed into a Johnson Controls facility. Refrigeration is their business. In the past they did indeed produce steam tractors. There were also Frick clocks that were somehow related.

2. Williams Grove used to also have an amusement park next to the speedway that I visited with my grandfather yearly as a child during the company picnic of his work. He worked for Landis Machine company, also located in Waynesboro PA.

3. Other industries located in Waynesboro and the surrounding area included Landis Tool, Geiser manufacturing, Grove cranes (now Manitowoc cranes), Mack truck - drivetrain (now Volvo), and JLG/JERRDAN (now part of Oshkosh truck). Fairchild also built the A-10 in neighboring Hagerstown.

Lost of industrial history where I grew up, unfortunately much of it is gone or going to elsewhere in the world.

Oh and I now work for CNH (Case New Holland - part of Fiat) producers of the case steam tractors and Ford 8N tractors. And I live about 30 minutes from where the Old threshers reunion is held each year in Mt Pleasant IA, which is the biggest tractor and steam show I have ever been to.

Gee thanks for getting me all nostalgic guys...

Greg